PDA

View Full Version : Fish feeding frequency causing cyano

Coralgurl
09-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Ive added a few fish recently that require at least 2 feedings a day. What is the best way to deal with the extra nutrients in the tank? I just read thru on old thread of mine re cyano, yes I can cut the lights back, have gfo running but it doesnt deal with the source for long term. I can't spot feed these fish so to make sure they get enough I feed everyone. I feed frozen, it's rinsed thoroughly. My tds meter on my ro unit reads at 5, not sure if this is a concern or not. I also have cheato in my sump. Water changes every other week, filter sock on the drain line.

Proteus
09-08-2012, 05:15 PM
im guessing that your refering to anthias. i fed mine cyclopeze twice a day with no issues of nutrient build up. as long as you have good cleanup crew and good skimmer there shouldnt be a worry.
what you could do is cut back on the amount per feeding the remaining fish will pick at rocks and such

Coralgurl
09-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I will try the cyclopeeze. Ya, referring to the anthias, they love mysis. I know I'm over feeding, all my fish are fatties! With new fish I like to get them fattened up a bit. My new fox face is also thin, but eating fine. I should increase my cuc, have a lot of empty snail shells. Skimmer is not an issue, it's big and pulls loads of gunk!

I have red slime remover, but would like to stay away from this option for now.

Aquattro
09-08-2012, 05:37 PM
I feed my anthias about 5 times/day with pellets, plus a sheet or two of nori for the tangs. I feed frozen plankton 2 or 3 times a week. No issues with that. Large skimmer, large water change every other week or so.

Proteus
09-08-2012, 05:38 PM
red slime remover is a good bandaid. but thats all. i know when i had anthias i overfed it took a while but i realized that i can skip a feeding here or there without negative impact. when i do notice a little cyano ill feed every other day. also since running 50micron filter media it pulls alot out of water colomn making skimmer more effecient

Coralgurl
09-08-2012, 06:02 PM
I am not a fan of pellets. They have caused cyano outbreaks in the past for me, as soon as I stop using, the cyano goes away. I have 2 different sizes of nls pellets and will use if necessary but not on a regular basis.

My current food mix is mysis, plankton and brine shrimp, add selcon and garlic. I can only change 30 gls at a time, perhaps increasing to weekly changes is a better option, plus cut back on the amount of food I drop at a time. I use 2 different types of filter socks, one felt, one mesh, the mesh one doesn't seem very useful, a lot of what is collected passes back into the water as soon as I move it, so only use if I haven't washed the other ones.

So go forward, weekly water changes, cyclopeeze for one feeding, reg mix for second, see if there's improvement, then cut the lights back for a bit.

I do baste the rocks daily, but it just comes back within hours.