PDA

View Full Version : recirculating loop on a skimmer

StirCrazy
04-13-2004, 01:16 AM
I am looking for input on why this would or wouldn't be good.

the new skimmer I am building has dual Becketts,

http://members.shaw.ca/steve-sherri/newskimmer/mockup2.jpg

what would be the result of putting another bulkhead in the side and using that for the suction of a pump which pumps into one of the Becketts.. so I will have my MAK4 sucking from the sump into the skimmer through one Beckett and the second Beckett will be on the "recirculating loop"

Steve

Jack
04-13-2004, 02:21 AM
I've thought about doing the same thing and I think there are no disadvantages. It actually makes more sense because you wont need a very large output on your box or have chaotic sump movment.

My skimmer right now works fine off one beckett but if I ever built an extension I will go ahead with another closed-loop injector. With a skimmer your size you're going to need the extra kick anywys so go for it.

Delphinus
04-13-2004, 05:16 AM
Increased contact time ... ? Sounds like a solid theory ... let us know what kind of results you get if you try it.

Maybe the only thing is the pump sucks in a bunch of air? ... :confused: :question:

Jack
04-13-2004, 05:24 AM
Maybe not as much contact time per-say but definatly more contact which is just as good in a huge skimmer like that! :eek:

PS. Are you copying Brad? :razz:

StirCrazy
04-13-2004, 06:01 AM
PS. Are you copying Brad? :razz:

is Brad building a skimmer? hmm I wonder how much he has made.. going to have to take a look at it. :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
04-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Jack, you hit it right on. Steve comes by every now and then to "check out" my skimmer pieces and then runs home to build similar pieces. He saw my round tube, and bang! now he's using round tube. Same for the square box and disc shaped flanges. He's even gone so far as to copy my becketts!! sheesh!! :razz:

StirCrazy
04-13-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why pieces of Brads skimmer are at my place :eek: got a Box, and the parts for his becket holder.. :wink:

Steve

Jack
04-14-2004, 01:25 AM
:lol:

Aquattro
04-14-2004, 01:49 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why pieces of Brads skimmer are at my place
Steve

I'm hiding them there. I hope to have it done by X-Mas, and then you can surprise me with it!! :razz:

IslandReefer
04-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey Steve,
Do I have it right, two mak4s, one recirc and one initial feed?
Do you think a dual (clean , then recirc clean) will remove DOC to a lower level than 2 separater skimmers(mono becketts)??

As you know I am also planning and building a beckett skimmer (all be it a mere mortal model) and have also thought of recirculation, gravity boost inflow etc.
Firstly if I ran the skimmer at the bottom of 5ft of head into the mak4, then to skimmer....do you,or anyone think the boost would be significant.
Also some designs attach the beckett air feed to the waste or collection cup giving a slightly pressurized air source and overflow prevention.
As with your water recirc.,does anyone think air recirc. would have any downside...upside is supposed to be quiet ,odor free and less prone to household air contaminents.
Just 2 cents more on beckett design
Great skimmer Steve...in the binford image