PDA

View Full Version : Instant ocean reef crystals

stellarfly
09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I recently visited the local lfs to look at salts. I was thinking about starting my tank with instant ocean reef salt since it's popular, and a lot of people use it (including mr. Saltwater tank). One of the reps told me not to use it with ro/di water! I was like "what?!!" he stated that instant ocean reef crystals does not mix well with ro/di water. I thought to myself "this is rubbish!"

Any thoughts. He recommended red sea salt. I was under the impression that instant ocean reef crystals is a decent salt. Any thoughts? I don't want to pay $100 for salt per bucket. I mean come on!

Let me know

CherylMcKay
09-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I use it with RO/DI and it mixes fine. I only have a FWLR and only a couple of LPS but it has worked fine for me.

cale262
09-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Mr.Saltwatertank uses RODI :wink:

tang daddy
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Salt slappin salty nuts, sorry couldn't help myself.... Minor terrets acting up!

I can't say much about IORC however, regular IO is fine to use with Rodi, a few of us in Vancouver use this because it's $30 a pail and works well, only thing that you may want to add is magnesium. If you don't want to spend a paycheck on salt go with IO regular, you can thank me later.

I have tried a few different brands and find myself back to IO, why because it's reasonably priced and mostly pretty stable....

badAZZlars
09-07-2012, 09:34 PM
That is complete nonsense. I've been using reef crystals on my sps dominant tank for almost a year and it mixes just fine with rodi. I used to use just regular IO and it worked just as well so I may go back to it once my current supply of reef crystals is gone.

Cal_stir
09-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I mix my reef crystals with 10 stage RODI and it always mixes clear, I'm going back to reg IO cuz I still have to dose so it's not worth the extra coin.

Aquattro
09-07-2012, 11:35 PM
He recommended red sea salt.

sounds like he might sell the stuff :) I've never heard of it or seen it for sale. IO is fine, mixes fantastic with RO/DI or tap water, which ever you prefer. I'd maybe find a new store while you're at it..

DCDN
09-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Never had any issues mixing it with RO water

Enigma
09-08-2012, 12:11 AM
It mixes just fine with RO/DI. Someone was pulling your leg. It is a very popular salt, and is one of only two choices in many stores: the other choice being the regular instant ocean.

stellarfly
09-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys,

My gut told me that Instant ocean was fine. I mean come on! Instant ocean is a huge brand with too much to loose. Plus, what kind of a product does not mix with RO/DI water! Gotta love crap adivce from LFS.

Thanks guys