PDA

View Full Version : Zoa-eating Palys ?

gregzz4
09-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Look what I found today

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01425.jpg

albert_dao
09-06-2012, 03:00 AM
That's pretty sweet! Great picture.

gregzz4
09-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Ya, it's a cool pic, thanks :smile:
But ...

Anyone ever see this before ?
Should I be concerned/do something about it ?

gregzz4
09-06-2012, 05:21 AM
The zoos have been released and one is open again
I guess no harm, no foul ...

gregzz4
09-06-2012, 07:08 AM
So, was this just a case of mistaken food identity ?

reefwars
09-06-2012, 08:30 AM
So, was this just a case of mistaken food identity ?

sure , i see it all the time in my fragtank, palys will eat anything...proof you should feed the;P

gregzz4
09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
sure , i see it all the time in my fragtank, palys will eat anything...proof you should feed the;P
I thought they were getting fed ...
Extra fish food floats around, fish poop, etc ...
I don't want to start spot feeding everything - that will take the fun out of the hobby for me
I feed Phyto-feast a couple times a week ( until the bottle runs out, then that's out the window as it's too costly )

I feed meaty stuff once a day, at night, and keep feeding for up to 5 mins until my fishies are done
Mostly I go through 2 cubes of mysis and brine mixed with garlic and vities per evening

I have tried to spot feed all of our corals but most of them don't or can't hang onto the food long enough to take it in, so I just don't do it anymore
And, I will not try anymore as each time I tried in the past, even with the powerheads off for 10 mins, the corals never drew the food in far enough to keep it when the powerheads came back on, so the food blew away

So, in our tank, the fish get the food first, and the corals can eat what they can catch and keep

tang daddy
09-06-2012, 04:00 PM
The pic you posted looks like a paly was trying to eat a floating zoa. I had to look at the pic for awhile to determine this. At first glance it looked like a piece of prawn or a worm but after closer inspection it definitely is a closed up zoa, look at the opposite end of the palys mouth and you will see a round knob with stripes, in the orifice a few green frills.... Cheers!

Didn't even read your title, you should change it to Apex predator paly eaten Zoas!
Sorry too much shark week....;)