PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Scorpion fish

Coralgurl
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Ive never seen one in any lfs here, are they hard to get and does anyone have any experience with them you can share?

badfish!
09-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Ken at Blueworld (in Edmonton) gets them in sometimes

magikof7
09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't know if it is still there but I saw one a couple weeks ago in Picies it was a beautiful purple. he was pretty big.

sphelps
09-05-2012, 03:33 PM
If you're referring to the typical yellow leaf fish like on my avatar then you'll find them fairly often at ocean creation. IME they are like frog fish, dificult to get on frozen, require target feeding, poor tank mate for aggressive eaters, and don't typically live very long in captivity. I currently have a little black leaf fish,not sure on the type exactly but it does much better than the yellow ones.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/100G%20Tank%20Build%202011/23_02_2012_1.jpg

badfish!
09-05-2012, 03:36 PM
If you're referring to the typical yellow leaf fish like on my avatar then you'll find them fairly often at ocean creation. IME they are like frog fish, dificult to get on frozen, require target feeding, poor tank mate for aggressive eaters, and don't typically live very long in captivity. I currently have a little black leaf fish,not sure on the type exactly but it does much better than the yellow ones.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/100G%20Tank%20Build%202011/23_02_2012_1.jpg

Thats a white faced wasp fish, I have one too. Most awesome little fish!

fishoholic
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Thats a white faced wasp fish, I have one too. Most awesome little fish!

Cool were did you find one?

badfish!
09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Mine came from Silentcivillian, I don't know where he got it, but I have all of his fish

Coralgurl
09-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I like the wasp fish, but I haven't been able to find a lot of info on them for an aquarium. Do you keep other fish in the tank with the leaf/wasp or are they on their own? Looks like inverts may be tasty meals so out of the question for tank mates. I've read about difficulties feeding and not likely to take frozen food.

LiveAquaria states a min 30 gl tank. I would assume this is accurate so not a good idea for the nano contest.

Very cool looking fish!!

badfish!
09-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Mine is in with a flame hawk and a juvi red corris wrasse, he doesnt pick on anything, and the other fish seem to leave him alone (they can sting). I used to have an emerald crab that he left alone (till the wrasse killed it). I dont have any shrimp yet, but the plan for the 60g that he'll be going into (minus the wrasse) includes some shrimp.

I think if you search for the long fin wasp fish you will find a little more info (still not a ton).

I spot feed mine, as they aren't stellar swimmers (I use a turkey baster and put the food in the tank near him or right in front of him to ensure he eats). He was already eating frozen when I got him.

Coralgurl
09-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Hmm, I like the sound of your set up actually. What size tank is he in now?

badfish!
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Right now he's in a 25g. I'll post a pic of him later tonight when I get home. He's usually out, but he kind of has the personality of a hawkfish, where he just sits and watches everything thats going on (except he doesnt follow me like my hawks do)

Enigma
09-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I like the wasp fish, but I haven't been able to find a lot of info on them for an aquarium. Do you keep other fish in the tank with the leaf/wasp or are they on their own? Looks like inverts may be tasty meals so out of the question for tank mates. I've read about difficulties feeding and not likely to take frozen food.

LiveAquaria states a min 30 gl tank. I would assume this is accurate so not a good idea for the nano contest.

Very cool looking fish!!

Hard to say. Why 30G? Does the fish get large? Does it swim miles a day?

Live Aquaria also states that percs should not be kept in less than a 20G tank. Percs are very popular fish that are thriving (in pairs) in tanks half that size.

You may very well be able to have one in a 20G tank, as long as all of the fish's requirements are met. Sometimes that can be easier in a smaller tank. The tank can be built specifically around the fish's requirements, and there is less competition.

FWC
09-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Waikiki aquarium has kept several species of frog, scorpion and lion fish in very small (2-10 gallon) tanks with great success.

Coralgurl
09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Well then, I think I might just give it a try!

Thanks for the feedback!

badfish!
09-06-2012, 01:44 AM
This is my guy, he's not a super active fish by any means (unless he gets scared or startled), this is pretty much all he does when I'm at home. I dont see why a 20g wouldn't work, I'd just be concerned with water quality, but with regular water changes that shouldnt be a problem. Good luck on the hunt for one!

Enigma
09-06-2012, 03:13 AM
The 20 gallons for the competition is system water volume, not tank size. A 25 or 30 gallon tank could be used, as long as the total water volume of the system does not exceed 20 gallons (including skimmers, filters, sumps, fuges . . . ). Sand and rock will help decrease the total water volume.

Coralgurl
09-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your pic! So cute!

I don't know if this would be for the nano contest or not. Just looking at something for my office that's simple and different.

badfish!
09-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I asked, he came from Ocean City, so maybe start there? He's a great little guy, he doesn't do too much, just sits there most of the time, but he doesn't pick at anything, so great if you want a really colorful tank