PDA

View Full Version : Might have lost my exacto blade in tank..(?) What if..

ashr
09-05-2012, 05:01 AM
So I was cleaning and messing around in my tank and I broke my exacto blade in half and lost the sharp end.. It broke outside the tank but I cannot find it anywhere..ive spent about 30 min looking but no luck..

What happens if it stays in the tank and rusts? Its not very big but still not sure what it could do.. any thoughts?
:redface:

gregzz4
09-05-2012, 05:04 AM
It will eventually rot in there and add Iron etc

Try your best to find it, even if you have to muck about in the sand with a magnet

Plus, it could hurt a critter if left behind :wink:

Aquattro
09-05-2012, 05:08 AM
I think I've done the same, never found it. I figure it can't be any worse than the rusty hose clamps in there, so I didn't worry about it.

ashr
09-05-2012, 05:10 AM
I wasnt sure if it would crash my tank after it rusted.. ill do my best to look for it still!

Thanks!!

Aquattro
09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Better to remove it if you can, but not a show stopper if you can't.

reefwars
09-05-2012, 05:29 AM
worst case scenario you got some free gfo for a little while;P

mrhasan
09-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Technically, you should be able to find it with a relatively powerful magnet in the water. But I think you should turn off the powerheads so that there is no flow since the water flow MIGHT cause motor effect with the magnet. Just move the magnet slowly around the water and you should be able to attract the blade.

FragIt Dan
09-05-2012, 06:37 AM
You might be able to contact the manufacturer... IF it is just iron then you have nothing to worry about, but I suspect that's not the case. From the sounds of it though the other stuff it might be made of isn't too bad. Good luck,
Dan

Mike-fish
09-05-2012, 07:38 AM
I lost a metal cooking flipper down inside my over flow box during a previous move of my 175g after I put the stand pipes in and couldn't get it back without taking the stand pipes back out. I just left it there till the next move that I knew would be a year or less away. ( for renovations ) when I pulled it out during the last move there was little to no rust on it and it being there hadn't affected my tank (not reef at the time) I wouldn't worry to much about it myself just remmember it's in there when you move the tank in the future.

FitoPharmer
09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I have lost a few razors in my tanks, and found them after moving. No ill effects.

ashr
09-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I got this blade from a medical supply store so its whatever they would use to cut people up haha.

Ill do my best to try and find this! But if stuff starts to go wrong ill know why.