PDA

View Full Version : Quarentine for a new Conch.

LeanneP
09-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Just wondering if I should be quarentining a new conch and what do they carry that could be harzardous to my tank. Thanks for any help.

Leanne P

Aquattro
09-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't expect them to have anything transferable to fish..I wouldn't quarantine for my tank.

gregzz4
09-05-2012, 04:48 AM
I have to be the devil's advocate here ..

Anything you add to your tank can potentially add bad things to your system

I don't QT shrimps, snails, hermits, corals, etc, but any one of these little guys' shells/skeletons can harbour bad things

For example;

If Marine Ich likes to attach itself to substrates, aquarium parts, LR etc, why would it not also attach itself to, for example, snail and hermit crab shells ?

I haven't QTd everything I've ever introduced to my DT, but I'm rolling the dice, or rather, spinning the cylinder, so to say

I like what Anthony Calfo said ...
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

FitoPharmer
09-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I have seen many gastropods with nasties growing on the shell. Hydriods being the worst.

Skimmerking
09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm with Brad I wouldn't however ever since my Crash with Marine Velvet, Im going to Q everything. so im playing both sides.....