PDA

View Full Version : Clown Fighting Suddenly

Delphinus
07-23-2002, 06:17 PM
What kind of clown?

If they were purchased juveniles, then eventually they will go through a sexual maturation process, where the larger or perhaps more domineering fish will evolve into a female. This is accompanied by some bullying behaviour to keep others "in check." The smaller, if he backs down from the fight, will become a mature male (this is not unlike human marriage come to think of it. Hmmm. :rolleyes: :D ;) tongue.gif )

Anyways the reason I ask what species of clown is that some are going to be a bit more bullyish than others.

HTH

Mares77
07-23-2002, 06:33 PM
They are a pair of false perculas.....I spoke to John at JL and he said that they could be mating...what do you guys think?

zulu_principle
07-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Mating can have some chasing but typically it is to the spot in the aquarium where the female wishes to lay eggs, not a hide and dont come out ritual.

I had Amphiprion Blue-Line Melanopus (Blue Line Cinnamon Clowns) that were a mated breeding pair and I evidenced this quite frequently. Unfortunately after a few months of this occuring the male died.

Hind sight being what it is I should have quarantined at least one of them and probably both.

That being said I have been successful in finding a new male which has adjusted quite well.

Looking for eggs everyday.

Zulu

Mares77
07-23-2002, 09:00 PM
I'm not too sure if they are mating...the smaller one is hiding behind some rocks while the bigger one is swimming freely all over...I guess only time will tell...

Delphinus
07-23-2002, 09:05 PM
How old are they? (Or alternatively, how long have you had them, and what size were they when you got them?) The reason I ask is, I don't think they're mating. Not yet, anyways. It sounds like they're "coming into their own" as a "couple," however (which is the first step to becoming a mated pair).

My percs spawn every 2 weeks (I can set my watch to it ... well, almost). There is no fighting or bullying involved. Instead, you will see both fish but particularly the male (the smaller of the two) fastidiously cleaning a spot on a rock near their home. They dance and hover over the spot. The actual spawn is basically both fish touching their bellies to the spot where the eggs are. The male tends the eggs, never leaving them to go far, constantly fanning the eggs with his fins.

I have never seen a hatch yet. It happens sometime after lights out on the day that they are due (actual length of time I think depends on temperature, but I beleive it is usually around 1 week. Not sure offhand.) Basically, one day I see little fishling eggs (eggs with eyes), the next day they are all gone. Presumably gobbled up (poor things, what a life). To raise the fry you need to capture them as they hatch before they are gobbled, and feed them rotifers (and feed the rotifers phyto). Phew!!

Anyways. As juvy's they may have been "buddies" and they probably will still end up buddies it's just that as the female gets to be the dominant fdemale, she will be asserting herself. The male, if he does not want to challenge for the role of female, will eventually submit. Submissive behaviour is interesting to watch. The submissive fish twitches. It literally looks like it's getting electrocuted. It's just their way of communicating, I suppose.

Mares77
07-24-2002, 03:00 AM
Whta you are describing is almost a blue print of the situation in my tank...When i got them a year ago they have been together for almost a year prior to my tank....I am assuming that they are probably alittle over tow year old....The male is totally in submission...he tends to hide behind some rocks and when he does come out he gets chased around by the female...I hope he survives this and they become a mated pair....Thanks for the information....

Mares77
07-24-2002, 04:36 AM
I have a pair of clown that hace been together for almost 2 years...suddenly the bigger one is picking on the smaller one...to the point that the small one is hiding...any idea why this happens?....

smokinreefer
07-24-2002, 10:54 PM
FWIW, they may be breeding.

i have a pair of maroon clowns and the pair were always visible in the open, and together.

a couple of months ago i noticed that my male wasnt coming out into the open anymore.

but no need to worry...the male was simply tending to the clutch of eggs they had laid. and since then i barely see the male at all. they are constantly breeding!!

so maybe thats whats happenning in your tank too!

do you actually see the female chasing/harrassing the male?

Mares77
07-25-2002, 02:05 AM
The weird thing is when the MH goes out and only the actinic is on the male comes out and everything is fine...when the MH is on the clown male gets harassed..who knows maybe that is just the way it is...thanks for information

BCReefer
07-25-2002, 05:09 PM
I read that sometimes the female becomes so aggressive that it can attack and kill the male. I am looking into where I read that and I will let you know when I do.

I have 2 percs for 8 months and no fighting but the female is definitely the boss.

Patrick

Mares77
07-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Yeah well she is very aggressive...and it looks like she is trying to starve the male...she would not let him feed....i have to feed when the MH goes out when the male comes out...Thanks Patrick for the information....greatly appreciated..