PDA

View Full Version : Snail eggs??

kuatto
04-11-2004, 10:57 PM
I have nassarius,cerith,and a larger"unidentified snails in my tank.I have tiny egg capsules on the glass from one type and today I found what looks like a clump of squiggly noodles,any idea which snail laid these?(Now if only my clowns would lay :biggrin: )

Jim

Stretch
04-12-2004, 12:04 AM
cerith eggs

kuatto
04-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Looks like I won't have to worry about buying any more snails if all the eggs hatch.My luck the hermits will have a feast though!
Any idea how long they take to hatch?

Jim

sumpfinfishe
04-12-2004, 02:53 AM
I take it you have fish in there!
So chances are 0 that they will hatch, but your fish and coral will be happy :mrgreen:

kuatto
04-12-2004, 02:59 AM
Oh well,guess there's no harm in hoping :biggrin:

sleeman
04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
My nassarius have actually hatched, and are now about 2-3mm long. I have seen about 15 on the front glass. It will be interesting to see if they make it to adult hood.

Cheers,
Al

Quinn
04-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I have egg masses all over, and on occasion have seen small snails of various types. However it's impossible to tell whether these are actually the young of snails I've purchased, or snails that hitchhiked in. Regardless, none of them have made it to adulthood as of yet.

Delphinus
04-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Are you sure your new snails are nassarius?

Can you post a picture, I'm very interested to see what they look like...

kuatto
04-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Tony
I ordered both cerith and nassarius from JL,dont have any pics(no camera)
Jim

sleeman
04-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Tony,
I can not say for sure, as I have several different kinds of snails in the tank. I can say that I actually watched a Nassarius lay the eggs on the glass and they hatched out about a week later. Surprise #1 because I had talked to a guy in the States that told me they release sperm and eggs into the water. I have two baby snails in the tank now. One is brown and white with a Margarita type shell. The other has a whitish shell fairly long body two small antenae and an elongated shell. It could be a cerith, but the body does not look right. I can not see the "snorkel" that the nassarius has. That may take time.
I will try to get some pics of both snails and post them up.

Cheers,

Al

LostMind
04-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Maybe its a stomatella snail?

Mine have reproduced in my tank. But the nassarius and cerith I am unsure if they have succesfully reproduced... lotsa eggs, but no baby snails from what I can tell.