PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wonder why I have clownfish!

windcoast reefs
09-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Well today I put a clam into my look down tank and my clownfish decided to take a go at my hand! This kinda startled me and the fish ended up flying up into the overflow! After that it kept going after my hand and drew blood in the end! Has anyone else had this problem before?

Aquattro
09-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Yup, all the time. Clowns are typically pretty nasty fish.

FragIt Dan
09-03-2012, 03:26 AM
My maroon clown has drawn blood on me more times than I care to remember!

emerald crab
09-03-2012, 03:28 AM
I have three pests in my tank: valonia, clowns and aiptasia. One day one of my clowns was breaking the edge of a cap monti, spit the broken piece and went for another one. Attacks on my hands, countless.

MMAX
09-03-2012, 11:49 AM
After owning several mild mannered Ocellaris, I can finally answer "yes" to this question. My 4 year old female is still fine with me but her new man that I added about a month ago is a little prick. I was scraping algae and doing some re-arranging last weekend and this guy didn't want me anywhere near his hammer coral. He'd flick his tail and if that didn't work he would move in for the bite. The bites didn't really hurt- he's only a little under 2" but they'd certainly startle you if you weren't expecting it. I had to remove his coral and when I tried to put it back into place he took revenge. Anywhere my hand was in the tank he went after it, not only his corner.

paddyob
09-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Surprisingly no... And they just started spawning after four years.

I suspect this to change things....

windcoast reefs
09-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Yeah I think they may be spawning in my tank as well!

bignose
09-05-2012, 03:31 AM

It's a good thing your clowns are small. It's funny unless they are big clowns.

I used to have a mated pair that would bite me, I thought it was hilarious. It was even funnier watching my girlfriend reactions getting bit. lol

DCDN
09-05-2012, 05:10 AM
My female would bite me after a year of being in the tank. Though that didn't last very long. Only about a month and then she was fine. Was great watching her wait for a moment when I wasn't paying attention. Most of the time she would just body slam my hand but a few time she did go in for a bite.

windcoast reefs
09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
My female would bite me after a year of being in the tank. Though that didn't last very long. Only about a month and then she was fine. Was great watching her wait for a moment when I wasn't paying attention. Most of the time she would just body slam my hand but a few time she did go in for a bite.

Well I hope mine settles down soon and just body slams me in the end!

mandyplo
09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
You guys really make me reconsider adding clowns to my tank. :) ! I had two clarkii's and got rid of them because they were eating EVERYTHING! My poor shrimpies :( :(

I was considering some oscellaris but... screw that noise! LOL

JCharles
09-07-2012, 01:09 PM
If getting bit is something you really want to avoid, buy those loose fitting disposable gloves. Not the latex ones that go right to your hand, but the plastic ones that retain their shape (probably in the kitchen section?).

A little bit of water will get between your hand and the glove, and when the clown bites, it will bite the glove. No bitten hand, you still have the dexterity in your fingers to move stuff, and I like to think that the clown is getting confused and angry that it can't bite me anymore, little twat :biggrin:

Coleus
09-07-2012, 04:20 PM
because it is NEMO

Doug
09-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Well I hope mine settles down soon and just body slams me in the end!

Mine are 12yrs old and for most of that and still today, the male attacks me. The larger female does not but thats because she chases the male out of their home to defend the territory.

You would think after 12yrs. and knowing me, which they do, would not attack their caregiver and feeder. :lol:

And no, I would never buy another.

Aysha
09-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I get such a kick out of mine, I got mine as an adult 4 months ago and she was fine until last week. She is now not satisfied with me cleaning her new tank . (I wonder if upgrading my tank to a 60 gallon is what has turned her aggressive) She's cute so she'll get away with it until she turns on the other fish. I also have a young clown 2' who seems fine.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255592_10151000384971736_1276696105_n.jpg