PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Urchins???

HL649
09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I am considering an urchin for my tank. Are there any problems with an urchin in a reef tank that I am missing? I would love to hear any comments from those with experience.

Thanks.

MKLKT
09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Depends on the species, some you have to worry about yourself due to toxins/spines, others are rock boring and can dislodge your aquascaping if it's not secure. If you have LPS corals you have to be careful of the softer parts getting speared, too.

FragIt Dan
09-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Don't! I have a tuxedo urchin and have given up and put him in my sump where he is still a problem. I have read many stories on them and almost everyone with a reef tank either pops them or donates them and regrets purchasing it. My tuxedo urchin (~10cm diameter excluding spines) grabs anything that is the size of a small sps colony and drags it with him. Bigger stuff just gets tossed on the bottom when he can't hold on. Assuming you overcome this issue, the feces produce substantial nutrient cycling and detritus, contributing to algae issues. I got mine because I am actually an urchin biologist, but will give him away at my first chance. I have had him for about five years now. Perhaps other species or smaller ones are not as problematic, but based on stories from many others, I would bet not. Just my $0.02.
Dan

reefwars
09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Don't! I have a tuxedo urchin and have given up and put him in my sump where he is still a problem. I have read many stories on them and almost everyone with a reef tank either pops them or donates them and regrets purchasing it. My tuxedo urchin (~10cm diameter excluding spines) grabs anything that is the size of a small sps colony and drags it with him. Bigger stuff just gets tossed on the bottom when he can't hold on. Assuming you overcome this issue, the feces produce substantial nutrient cycling and detritus, contributing to algae issues. I got mine because I am actually an urchin biologist, but will give him away at my first chance. I have had him for about five years now. Perhaps other species or smaller ones are not as problematic, but based on stories from many others, I would bet not. Just my $0.02.
Dan

agreed, urcins are evil. witn that said i have a white spine urchin that doesnt move more then 3" from the top corner of the tank, i assume he eats algae and coraline. he is also not sticky just from underneath, as his hard spines are too long on his back for his sticky feet to grab anything:)

still though...its the only good one ive ever seen lol :P