PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About My Next System . . . suggestions?

Enigma
09-01-2012, 03:50 PM
I have a "big" birthday coming up in February (40! When did I get so old?).

Hubby has agreed to let me get a bigger system. :) I asked him for a Red Sea Max 250, and he said "yes."

Then I got to thinking about the plumbing, and how to hook a sump (for all of my reactors and skimmer) and refugium up to it. Then I had a good look at the stand, and its centre divider.

An RSM 250 just isn't going to work for me. Hubby was okay with the price point of the RSM 250. He didn't even blink. I don't know if that means there is more wiggle room in the price, or if he just didn't want to appear "uncool" and "unsupportive." ;)

I'm now looking for suggestions.

I'm hoping to find a tank and stand that are designed as a set, and have a bit of a modern look to them, but aren't something that would become dated quickly. Black would be good. No more than 125 gallons at the absolute extreme upper limit, but would prefer smaller (75 or so?). Pre-drilled is a must. I do not want this to turn into a huge, stessfull, "am I gonna crack my tank," type project.

Can anyone think of anything that I should have a look at? I would love a custom build, but the price point of one of those might be a bit steep.

Reef Supplies
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Glad you decided against the RSM 250. They are nice but you could get something much nicer if you go custom...beside you build it to your needs not what they think your needs are.

If I were to stay under 120G I'd build a 40x24x20 (or 40x20x20), I really like the way that size looks. I also like 48x24x24, that's right around 120G

Ray

Coralgurl
09-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Congrats Shelley! I got my bigger tank for my 40th this year. I know I'm not supposed to know this but I will pm you what my family paid for my set up. My stand is from Greg (the Grizz), not skinned but I prefer this (for now). Go see Dave at concept, tell him what you are looking for and see what he comes up with. His pricing and service is unbeatable.

Will you keep your smaller tanks going too?

Enigma
09-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. :) I did get your PM, Sheena. Thank you!

I'm thinking, if I were to do a custom . . . Maybe 48x18x18. I have no idea how many gallons that is. I quite like the dimensions of my 40B (36x18x16), but I think I'd prefer if it had another two inches in height, as that would make the ends square versus rectangular. The extra foot in length would be nice, and I like having the length be an even foot, as it gives loads of lighting options that will align nicely with the ends of the tank.

The 40B would move into the new tank, as all of my hardware would be swapped over to it. In staying below 120 gallons all of my equipment (except for lighting and heaters) will work just fine on the new system.

My NC12 would be drilled and plumbed into this system at some point in time.

My 40B . . . I don't know what I'll do with that tank in the end. I also have a 30 gallon, a 33 gallon, and a 10 gallon. They may just all get plumbed together into some sort of frankensystem. :lol:

naesco
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Rather than go for the height I would recommend you go for the length.
That way you would be able to provide optimum conditions for fish may choose to keep like tangs

Enigma
09-01-2012, 06:28 PM
60x18x18 is gorgeous! I've just found some photos of one. That gives me something to think about. I think that would be around 90 gallons, depending on glass thickness. I'd still want to be able to use my mp10s, so the glass required might be a bit too thick. The MP10s are rated to 9.5mm glass.

HaZRaTTy
09-01-2012, 07:39 PM
60x18x18 is gorgeous! I've just found some photos of one. That gives me something to think about. I think that would be around 90 gallons, depending on glass thickness. I'd still want to be able to use my mp10s, so the glass required might be a bit too thick. The MP10s are rated to 9.5mm glass.

personally I think you should just go for it and step up to the 120G.... Here's why... You will go through the same itch to upgrade once you fill and grow out your 70-90G or whichever you were thinking. This however might let you last a wee bit longer. The options from a upgrading from a 90G to a 120G though its only 30G's is exponential.

Oh and PS. If you do go custom... I would most definetly look at external overflows!!!! Soo muc more swimming space easy to work on and don't have to hump rock around a big black overflow!