PDA

View Full Version : Too much polyp extension?

MarkoD
08-31-2012, 07:41 PM
I have a sunset milli thats growing like crazy.

but all i've been seeing is the fuzzy polyps.

today when i went to feed all my corals i blasted it with a turkey baster and the polyps retracted to show a nice pink/green skeleton.

is this just the way it is or should the polyps be less extended?

Zoaelite
08-31-2012, 08:18 PM
I'd like to politely add that I'm gonna do whatever I like with my money. If I want to buy 20 moorish idols That's my business. And I'd like to politely ask you to not reply to my threads. I dont need your "experience". Thanks

^^^ This should solve your polyp "problem".

iceman86
08-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Ouch! Lol

jorjef
08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Cue the chirping crickets sound track please....

FragIt Dan
08-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I remember that thread :) ahhh, the fun we have!

waynemah
08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
I recently lost my flame angel, polyp extension is now crazy and some of my corals are doing the same thing, polyps are totally taking over the "nice" part of the coral.

I've upped the flow a bit, which seemed to cause a slight retraction in polyp extension.

Sorry to ruin the massacrer guys... :redface:

sphelps
08-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Adding a clown goby may help.

reefwars
08-31-2012, 09:07 PM

touche:razz:

Proteus
08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Lol. Good times

I thought millis were to be all polyp like shaggy sticks

MarkoD
08-31-2012, 09:26 PM

Why are you replying?

reefwars
08-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Why are you replying?

ya gotta admit though it was a litttttle bit funny:P

Skimmerking
08-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Why are you replying? cause its aapublic board Marko. But on a another note. The extension there is nothing wrong with it. i have a milli thati got from Shroom and its crazy extension. when I have the waves going in the red sea max i see the colors.

MarkoD
08-31-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't understand what moorish idols and how I spend my money has anything to do with polyp extension

reefwars
08-31-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't understand what moorish idols and how I spend my money has anything to do with polyp extension

haha that was the funny part i thought:P jk

MarkoD
08-31-2012, 10:01 PM
I thought it was a legit question that I couldn't find the answer with a search

bignose
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
you guys crack me up!!

reefwars
08-31-2012, 10:04 PM

it is, most people dont see polyp extension as a problem but the goal, i can understand what your saying though that sometimes the base is nicer.

best advice i can give is make it mad or get a similiar color coral that doesnt have so much shag.

millies are known for their shag its why alot of people like them:)

FragIt Dan
08-31-2012, 10:10 PM

It is... and you shouldn't feel the need to defend the question... but I don't think it was the question the elicited the responses :).

I am not sure if there is such a thing as too much polyp extension. IMO, the better the extension, the happier the coral, but that is opinion and I can't claim it as fact. An argument could also be made that it is a sign of wanting more food, but if growth and color are good, I would say to keep on doing whatever it is that is getting that extension,
Dan

dc4
08-31-2012, 10:50 PM
I would love to have this problem but if you want to see more of it's base come through, I can send you the crab I caught yesterday or you could try moving it to a lower flow area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Nano
08-31-2012, 11:18 PM
How about sending some PE karma to my garf Marko? He's pretty pathetic lately. But the rest of mine are showing great PE. It makes me wonder how much placement is involved in these things.

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 12:01 AM
well theres no moving this coral. its encrusted in the original spot and 2 more branches are encrusting too

fishoholic
09-01-2012, 12:20 AM

I think it was more to point out you saying that

I'd like to politely ask you to not reply to my threads. I dont need your "experience". Thanks

Insinuates that you don't want people with experience to respond in your threads, so therefore no one should respond.

Which I may add I find very amusing, well played Levi well played :clap2:

reefwars
09-01-2012, 12:24 AM

Insinuates that you don't want people with experience to respond in your threads, so therefore no one should respond.

lol im sorry but thanks laurie for making me spit my pop out lol :mrgreen::mrgreen:

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 12:42 AM

the original comment was directed to one person in particular.

FWC
09-01-2012, 12:58 AM
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj404/Fishy-Boy/e31.jpg

Doug
09-01-2012, 01:26 AM
:argue:

:closed_2: is a coming........:lol:

reefwars
09-01-2012, 02:51 AM
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj404/Fishy-Boy/e31.jpg

bahaha.....ahhhh what a way to end the day lol:P thanks!!

fishytime
09-01-2012, 03:19 AM

*wonders how long Levi waited....lurking there in the bushes to spring that ambush???*

as far as the PE goes.....my millies always looked like this:mrgreen:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/3051/medium/fishytime-2012-04.jpg

sphelps
09-01-2012, 04:16 AM
Might be worth a quick once over

http://www.surfishingflorida.com/Portals/2/normal_search-button-for-dummies.jpg

fishoholic
09-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Might be worth a quick once over

http://www.surfishingflorida.com/Portals/2/normal_search-button-for-dummies.jpg

:spit: :pound:

SteveConn
09-01-2012, 05:47 AM
:fencing:

Whats your K+ levels? I understand high K levels create nice polyp extension.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the laughs guys & gals. Keep up the good work:lol:

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Last time I saw your tank, it had more hair algae than the tanks at aquarium central. Forgive me for not wanting your "experience"

Proteus
09-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Marko I've dealt with you in person a few time and you've been great to deal with. But I think on here you can be a bit of a **** disturber. People remember that. To be fair we've all had problems with our tanks no matter what your experiences. Myself. I would take any viable advise regardless if someone's tank had a flair of HA or not. After all that's how we learn

reefwars
09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
personally i love lauries tanks ,i have for years thought as them as one of the nicer tanks in edmonton, and when i was there 2 weeks ago her tanks were freakin spotless....like spotless...made me wanna go home and clean my own lol

laurie i remember when you had all those muchroom rocks man that was crazy:P

reefwars
09-01-2012, 04:45 PM
i would think too if you clearly make yourself out to be the badguy(like your sig use to say) a bit of backlash is probably expected.....only 17yr old girls like the bad guys lol :P

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Marko I've dealt with you in person a few time and you've been great to deal with. But I think on here you can be a bit of a **** disturber. People remember that. To be fair we've all had problems with our tanks no matter what your experiences. Myself. I would take any viable advise regardless if someone's tank had a flair of HA or not. After all that's how we learn

and this thread and all my other threads started off as legitimate.

if people wanna start sh*t, the fine

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:08 PM
and this thread and all my other threads started off as legitimate.

if people wanna start sh*t, the fine

thats what happens when you cry wolf:twised:

one day theres an actual wolf and no ones around to help:P

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 05:10 PM
i would think too if you clearly make yourself out to be the badguy(like your sig use to say) a bit of backlash is probably expected.....only 17yr old girls like the bad guys lol :P

My sig says you be bad cop I'll be worse cop. It means if the people on this forum wanna be ace holes. I'll be an even worse one

Proteus
09-01-2012, 05:12 PM
You did state a while back that you like to stir the pot.

But back on topic. Waynemah has great frags if you looking for Sps with great color and don't want the polyp extension of the milli

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:12 PM
My sig says you be bad cop I'll be worse cop. It means if the people on this forum wanna be ace holes. I'll be an even worse one

it use to say different didnt it?? the one you use now is different...you changed it a while ago

something about being the badguy??

Proteus
09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Said

Make way for the bad guy

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Said

Make way for the bad guy

thats it!! :P:P

Proteus
09-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm sure it's a line from scarface

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 05:28 PM
im just extremely annoyed with the "experts" that offer solutions like "perform a waterchange"

how is that at all helpful? telling someone to perform a waterchange is basically antagonizing them.

"oh your car wont start? put some gas in it"

i come on here to try and get some actual answers and insight. not someone with 5000 posts telling me to do a waterchange and then getting all ****y when i tell them i've either already done one or i've ruled that out

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 05:31 PM
and then theres people posting threads about how their fish died and people respond with condolences.

Id be embarrassed to post that one of my fish died. It would mean that i did something completely wrong.

People keep fish in the worst of conditions without any advanced filtration and yet they survive.

a fish dying thread should include replies asking the OP why the fish died and why they didnt offer necessities for its survival. No "awe poor guy, rip"

there just seems to be a "gang" of old school members that think they run this site or that it "belongs" to them. its just annoying

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:36 PM
and then theres people posting threads about how their fish died and people respond with condolences.

Id be embarrassed to post that one of my fish died. It would mean that i did something completely wrong.

People keep fish in the worst of conditions without any advanced filtration and yet they survive.

a fish dying thread should include replies asking the OP why the fish died and why they didnt offer necessities for its survival. No "awe poor guy, rip"

there just seems to be a "gang" of old school members that think they run this site or that it "belongs" to them. its just annoying

fish die for more reasons then stupidity, alot of these people have had their fish for years.

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:38 PM
its that kinda attitude that never gets you any help, half the time you post bogus problems that dont exist, then whenever anyone tries to offer you advice you act like the advice is stupid....i bet if i were to go through your posts i could find five threads where you asked for advice then shut everyone down.....karma

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:40 PM
like polyp extension...come on as if thats a real problem, did you actually look at your tank and go , holy crap look at those polyps i obviouly got a big problem going on??better check to see what the "experts" have to say:P

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
its that kinda attitude that never gets you any help, half the time you post bogus problems that dont exist, then whenever anyone tries to offer you advice you act like the advice is stupid....i bet if i were to go through your posts i could find five threads where you asked for advice then shut everyone down.....karma

Go ahead. Find bogus problems I've posted. Post the links, not quotes

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
like polyp extension...come on as if thats a real problem, did you actually look at your tank and go , holy crap look at those polyps i obviouly got a big problem going on??better check to see what the "experts" have to say:P

Yes. Brown/gray polyps cover pink/green skeleton seems like a problem to me. I honestly thought it was a sign that I should be feeding this coral or that it requires more light

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I have a sunset milli thats growing like crazy.

but all i've been seeing is the fuzzy polyps.

today when i went to feed all my corals i blasted it with a turkey baster and the polyps retracted to show a nice pink/green skeleton.

is this just the way it is or should the polyps be less extended?

this is your origional post is it not??

Yes. Brown/gray polyps cover pink/green skeleton seems like a problem to me. I honestly thought it was a sign that I should be feeding this coral or that it requires more light

you said to begin with its growing like crazy, the problem to you seemed to be too many fuzzy polyps...i dint see you post about its food requirements, that would have def gotten you a better response. it seemed to me and probably others that you were trying to boast or something.

i find it hard to believe that you did a search and could find nothing on polyp extension, and then yet you turn to the "experts" who in the past youve offended or simply said there advbice wasnt good enough.

sorry but im offering no sympathy, a new member can come on here and get all the answers he wants, we are all usually very nice , but when you burn your bridges(you remember me telling you this before) what do you expect??

thats how i seen it:mrgreen:

reefwars
09-01-2012, 05:56 PM
i also dont see nothing in your first post about polyp color....just too fuzzy??

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 06:05 PM
My question was "is it just the way it is or should it be less extended"

It's a legitimate question that could have easily been answered on the first page without the drama.

reefwars
09-01-2012, 06:05 PM
and i actually believe you to be a very intelligent person marko, ive followed your tank and its gorgeous your doing a amazing great job, its simply the way you approach people , ive heard from others that your actually a nice guy so why all the bad attitude??

jorjef
09-01-2012, 06:06 PM
:laluot_32:

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 06:07 PM
and i actually believe you to be a very intelligent person marko, ive followed your tank and its gorgeous your doing a amazing great job, its simply the way you approach people , ive heard from others that your actually a nice guy so why all the bad attitude??

I am a nice guy. I have no problems with anyone I've ever dealt with. But if people acted in real life the way they do on this forum I'd have no problem being a jerk at them to their face.

The way people act on the Internet brings out the worst in me

reefwars
09-01-2012, 06:08 PM
yes i understand that was your question, i dont see where the food part comes in though or the light, just "is this the way its supposed to be"....a simple search on millies would have told you yes, am i not right arnt there thousands of posts on millies??

like i said its not your post its your previous attitudes to poeples answers that gets what happened to you, have you been respectfull to people in the past im 100% positive you would have gotten nothing but positive responses...but now people see a post you make and they go into it with the same attitude...

reefwars
09-01-2012, 06:11 PM
The way people act on the Internet brings out the worst in me

lol ok i hear ya there for sure:) its hard to use a keyboard and say something without coming off the wrong way, im probably coming off to you now as an ******* but i guarantee you im sitting here in a great mood and im only pointing out what everyone else sees as well:)

change your sig to nice guy and say thanks ...i bet things turn around.

the worst is when you do have a serious problem you dont want these type of things to keep happening, so ...be respectful:P

cheers:)

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 06:11 PM
yes i understand that was your question, i dont see where the food part comes in though or the light, just "is this the way its supposed to be"....a simple search on millies would have told you yes, am i not right arnt there thousands of posts on millies??

like i said its not your post its your previous attitudes to poeples answers that gets what happened to you, have you been respectfull to people in the past im 100% positive you would have gotten nothing but positive responses...but now people see a post you make and they go into it with the same attitude...

then they shouldnt reply. its as easy as that.

im not the only person that feels this way. you should see the hilarious text message i got from a random (250) area code this morning.

Proteus
09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Though a water change might help the polyps to retract. Lol

reefwars
09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
:laluot_32:

you be nice too there buddy:mrgreen:

everyone...be nice...geesh :P

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 06:13 PM

bahahhaahaha thanks man. took long enough

reefwars
09-01-2012, 06:14 PM

i knew that was coming lol was just wondering who was gonna say it lol :)

see marko were actually all having a bit of fun , if your issue was a bad problem we would be here to help i guarantee it:)

but the polyp extension is a good thing its a sign the millie is happy, as for color like i said sometimes the base is nicer then the polyps, if you like the base color better id swap out the millie for something with the colors you do like:) or keep the millie and just add another:)

Proteus
09-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Marko are you running radions

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Ai sols.

100% on both blues and 80% white

Nano
09-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Just a thought, your tank is what 180g? Maybe the 2 sols aren't enough anymore and the milli is reaching for more light? Just a thought. I know I now have my sol at 85% on my tank (35g) my bonsais color is coming back finally. I think it was a light issue for me cause my one coral(dont laugh) salty nuts had polyps out so much it just looked like a fuzz ball, after turning the lights up slowly they've retracted slightly.

daniella3d
09-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I have the same problem, can't see the pink coral because it's furry with blue-green polyp...anoying not to see the color but I prefer healthy coral than seing the color underneat.

I like my polyps that way, healthy and growing.

On another note, I stopped the Red Sea Reef Energy A and B because that really affected the extention of my polyps...so you might want to try it. Mine went in the garbage.

Copper did a great job as well on the polyps retraction.

Coral when I got it:

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/103_1490s.jpg

and a few days later:

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/Untitled-1s.jpg

MarkoD
09-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Just a thought, your tank is what 180g? Maybe the 2 sols aren't enough anymore and the milli is reaching for more light? Just a thought. I know I now have my sol at 85% on my tank (35g) my bonsais color is coming back finally. I think it was a light issue for me cause my one coral(dont laugh) salty nuts had polyps out so much it just looked like a fuzz ball, after turning the lights up slowly they've retracted slightly.

I have 4 sols

fishoholic
09-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Last time I saw your tank, it had more hair algae than the tanks at aquarium central. Forgive me for not wanting your "experience"

Actually out of 4 tanks I only have one with some hair algae in it. The HA is in my fowlr tank. Years ago I bought live rock from a guy who was selling it for $1 per pound. He admitted that he was selling so cheap because it was covered in HA and he had done everything to get rid of it but nothing worked for him. Basically he was sick of fighting with it and was going to start over with new rock which is why I got a great deal for it. I figured I could deal with having HA in a fowlr system in order to get cheap rock so I bought it. Unfortunately I've been battling with it myself ever since. I've had rabbitfish get rid of it but then as they got larger my king angel got too mean to them for them to stay in that tank and the HA came back. Now I have a small kole tang that has been working at clearing up the HA, best part is my king angel has no interest in him and he won't get to a size big enough for the king to start to pick on him.

BTW I didn't offer my experience I just tried to explain why Levi said what he said 'cause it seemed like you didn't understand what he was getting at.

personally i love lauries tanks ,i have for years thought as them as one of the nicer tanks in edmonton, and when i was there 2 weeks ago her tanks were freakin spotless....like spotless...made me wanna go home and clean my own lol

laurie i remember when you had all those mushroom rocks man that was crazy:P

Thanks Denny, I still have the mushroom rocks unfortunately when I re-aquascaped my fowlr tank most of the mushroom rocks ended up on the bottom or towards the back of the tank where you can't see them.

mandyplo
09-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Omg its Zoaelite! Can I have your autograph? <3 :biggrin::wink:

GracieLou
09-06-2012, 03:16 PM

bad news again. moorish idol is dead and already have eaten by crabs

Sorry but I had to!

MarkoD
09-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah well at least I did everything I could, as I documented it so others could learn from it.

Skimmerking
09-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have a few things to say. WRT milli's some are extremely hairy or polyp crazy and some are not. The sunset is one of thou from all the pictures that i have seen. super hairy with lots of polyp extenions.

2. Doing a water change may in fact cause the polyps to exten in or out. REASON the elements in the water change may have what the coral needs or what the coral is trying to reach out too. Or the water change may clear out something that the tank has in that is effecting the coral. Now that is going to depend on the WATER CHANGE SIZE.

Now Marko I have never met you before, However I speak my mind and i have been spoken to about my words you can say. I don't kiss butt for a more professional language since this is a family board and more people at a younger age use this. But you do come across as a very cocky person as your crap dont stink. Now i'm sure you are a great guy as some members have pointed out. may be its the board life that people dont get to meet you and you are the first to help out someone. But you are the first to flame someone or point fingers.

sorry buds that is just me speaking the truth. Like my Wife has always told me AIN'T KARMA A BIT.CH.

But I feel that this thread is going to be close to be closed. if you have issues with some one take it tp a PM. If you have said something to someone that was totally offside rude, well expect it back 3 fold.

other then that, if you are having issues still with your tank, PE may be the LED's arent for you
or the lights are to high.
may be your Water changes arent big enough
or some thing in the food that is causing your corals to react.
is it just that coral? or do you have a yellow watchman goby they love milli's

I dont know.

if you are still stumped pm me your number I can call ya and offer some advice or chat what i have done before.

MarkoD
09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
thats all good and i appreciate brute honesty because im the same way. I dont sugar coat anything, for anyone

but i honestly think its the people in this forum that have the problem. I have zero issues with anyone else, in real life or on the internet. people on this forum seem to be so sensitive to everything, especially when not taking their advice

its like some people on here like to act more important than they really are; and they dont like being talked back too or challenged

Skimmerking
09-06-2012, 05:14 PM
thats all good and i appreciate brute honesty because im the same way. I dont sugar coat anything, for anyone

but i honestly think its the people in this forum that have the problem. I have zero issues with anyone else, in real life or on the internet. people on this forum seem to be so sensitive to everything, especially when not taking their advice

its like some people on here like to act more important than they really are; and they dont like being talked back too or challenged

But aside from it all people like us have to tone it down alot of the times cause other people are'nt like that

anyways enough said on that. my offer stands still hope ya figure this problem out.

MarkoD
09-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the offer. But I think this is just the way it is. Maybe once it grows out more the polyps will spread out and more of the skeleton will be exposed

pseudonym
09-06-2012, 09:17 PM
***** ****** you guys.

GROW UP. This is seriously unbecoming of adults. If you don't have anything nice to say, shut your mouth.

I was just commenting on the maturity of this board to a friend. Last thing I expected was this crap. MarkD, you need to not be so defensive. Nate.. dude, chill the hell out. Your way isn't the only way. The rest of you.. and some of you I have met.. stop participating in the circle ****. THIS is not the impression I got when I met you guys, nor one that I would think you would want to have.

Act like adults please. This is what I expect of children in high-school and not grown men.

don.ald
09-06-2012, 09:42 PM
:biggrin:
^^^^^^ a participant is as a participant does^^^^^^

pseudonym
09-06-2012, 09:46 PM
:biggrin:
^^^^^^ a participant is as a participant does^^^^^^

Thank you for an example of what I was talking about.

mandyplo
09-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Thank you for an example of what I was talking about.

jorjef
09-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Who is Pseudonym?.....I don't think he's using his real name..:lol: