I have at my disposal a custom made plexi tank
that measures 96"L x 8"Wx 12"H.

What would you do with such a tank?

I think small triggers might be fun, but it's
not a very wide tank and triggers grow.

Looking for ideas.

Son Of Skyline
07-24-2002, 07:32 PM
That's a tough one, but I'd probably turn it into a fresh water river system and have all the water flow one way.

One_Divided
07-24-2002, 08:49 PM
That is the weirdest shaped tank I have ever heard of.. Are you sure those measurements are right? heheh

Delphinus
07-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Is see your dilemma. 8 feet long by 8 inches? Wow, that's next to useless. A river system would be neat but realistically what fish are going to be happy in 8" except for some really small fish, and for those isn't 8 feet long a bit overkill.

Hmmm.... scrap acrylic? Just kidding ... wait maybe not really.

I don't know. It's certainly no tank I'd use, that's for sure.

StirCrazy
07-24-2002, 09:28 PM
you could use it for a eco-system behind the tank

Steve

stephane
07-24-2002, 09:50 PM
DSB :D

DJ88
07-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Fuge. One or two 4' GE Ultra Daylights would be all you'd need. They run about $4 at Canadian Tire. Set it up to be slightly elevated behind your main system. Fed with a maxijet from your main tank. Drill a hole for a 1" drain just below the lip of the tank on one face. Have this return back to your main system.

Toss Calerupa in it a good sand bed and critters and you are set.

Aquattro
07-24-2002, 10:39 PM
Darren, that could get a bit ackward. That tank is over 300 pounds. Finding/making a stand might be a problem.

EmilyB
07-24-2002, 11:18 PM
Cinder blocks and plywood....

oh, and styrofoam of course.. :D

[ 24 July 2002, 19:20: Message edited by: EmilyB ]

One_Divided
07-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Personally I would cut it up.. there's really not much you can do with a tank that shape.. You could build a lot of skimmer with that much acrylic.

Jeff
07-25-2002, 12:27 AM
I am sure of the measurements smile.gif It was a custom
tank that a fellow had as a brackish tank in his
office at work. Was quite nice when all set up.
It's quite thick plexi and very well done.
It would be a shame to cut it up. I'd far rather
sell it to someone who could find a use for it.

I had contemplated a refugium. Other than that
I'm sort of stumped :>

reefburnaby
07-25-2002, 02:05 AM
Hi,

That tank would make a nice display tank that was built inside a wall -- you could even place such that you can see both sides of it. Putting surge tanks on either end of the tank would make an interesting display as the wave passes through.

Given its height, it would be pretty easy to light up with some VHOs or PCs.

I guess...its like a 10 gallon tank that is 8 feet wide (instead of 20 inches)...a wide nano tank. If done properly, it would make a very interesting and unique display tank. You would need a sizeable sump/refugium since you won't have much of a sandbed with 12 inches of height or room for skimmers and such.

- Victor.

BCReefer
07-25-2002, 05:06 PM
I think it would make an awsome fresh water tank with plants, or you make it salt but only put in very small fish and some shrimp.

Cheers,
Patrick