PDA

View Full Version : Hi new to this site and have a question..

gassniffer
08-31-2012, 04:27 PM
I am not new to reef tanks ,but I have a 90g that is being bleached as we speak.. Now I need to add a sump but my stand wasn't designed for one . Would it be a good idea to buy an old chest or trunk to put the sump in offf to the side???

gassniffer
08-31-2012, 06:07 PM
The reason I am asking is because 10 years ago I had a 29g euro show tank set up, no sump a fluval 404 I think with LR in it. And protien skimmer rated for 150g. 35p of LR.. The tank had numerous shrooms,zoo's, a devils hand,open brain,frog spawn and a torch. As for crittersI a reef lobster, sand sifting star and a healthy clean up crew in it.. That tank was perfect for 4years till I moved and sold it to a friend.. Now withe 90g is it safe to set up with out a sump or should I try to make somthing for a.sump... I am confused they say small tanks are hard to run but I had no problems with my old tank so would'nt my 90g be easier to keep up with with out a sump???

molotov
08-31-2012, 06:15 PM
First of all, welcome to Canreef.

You could definetely do a chest or trunk to house your sump. The only thing I can think of would be to make sure it's well vented. You'll also need enough height to allow for a skimmer. Also keep in mind there will be a lot of pipes for your plumbing that will be coming into and going out of your chest/trunk.

I think if you could hide all that somehow it would be quite a neat designer type idea. I like it.

good luck

gassniffer
08-31-2012, 06:22 PM
I was thinking an old pirate style chest with the rounded top for extra space for the protien skimmer and a acrilic home made insert.. On the back of the chest have all my electrics and wires mounted and boxed. As for pipes I like to use flexable tubing ...

molotov
08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
maybe you could start a theme......Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man's Chest

gassniffer
08-31-2012, 11:47 PM
maybe you could start a theme......Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man's Chest
More..like..poor-man..of..Canada..by.the..time..I..stock..the..90G. .LMAO

gassniffer
09-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Well_after_pricing_out_the_trunks_of_suitable_size ,_I_have_not_to_do_the_trunk_I_am_looking_at_spend ing_around_500...
That_is_way_to_much_on_the_sump_concidering_I_stil l_need_skimmer_socks_fittings_pump...I_found_a_sum p_that_will_fit_my_small_area_below_my_tank
could_some-one_have_a_look_at_it_and_please_me_know_if_its_to _small_for_my_90G_thanks...Sorry_about_thelines_my _spacebar_stopped_working_after_I_spilt_my_rum&coke_on_it..LOL
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/aq-aqspf01/Aqueon+Proflex+Aquarium+Sump+%28Model+1%29.html

reefwars
09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Well_after_pricing_out_the_trunks_of_suitable_size ,_I_have_not_to_do_the_trunk_I_am_looking_at_spend ing_around_500...
That_is_way_to_much_on_the_sump_concidering_I_stil l_need_skimmer_socks_fittings_pump...I_found_a_sum p_that_will_fit_my_small_area_below_my_tank
could_some-one_have_a_look_at_it_and_please_me_know_if_its_to _small_for_my_90G_thanks...Sorry_about_thelines_my _spacebar_stopped_working_after_I_spilt_my_rum&coke_on_it..LOL
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/aq-aqspf01/Aqueon+Proflex+Aquarium+Sump+%28Model+1%29.html

that gas is good stuff eh??

Enigma
09-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have an Aqueon ProFllex Model 3. It is way too small for me, at this point. It was great at first, but I've since acquired so many gizmohs.

If you get the Model 1, don't do a fuge. You'll need the space for other stuff. You'll get your heaters in the centre section, but won't find a skimmer to fit in there (I don't think). Return pump and a TLF reactor (with separate pump) will work in the third chamber.

Also, keep in mind that it won't take all of the water that drains from your tank when the return pump is shut off.

You'd be better going off with a 10 gallon tank (@ 20" long), just put a filter sock hanger in it, and toss all of your hardware in the 10 gallon however it will fit. Once again, it won't handle backflow, so you'll really have to think about your plumbing. I get five gallons of backflow when I shut my pumps down.

HaZRaTTy
09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
that gas is good stuff eh??

Lol...

Welcome to Canreef.

MKLKT
09-01-2012, 07:35 PM
For a 90 gallon you'll probably want at least a 20 gallon sump in order to fit the required equipment. The more space you have to move around in the stand/sump area the better, otherwise it gets frustrating and overcrowded really quick. Remember that the sump is only about half-full, so you aren't actually adding 20 gallons to the system size.

Enigma
09-01-2012, 07:41 PM
For a 90 gallon you'll probably want at least a 20 gallon sump in order to fit the required equipment. The more space you have to move around in the stand/sump area the better, otherwise it gets frustrating and overcrowded really quick. Remember that the sump is only about half-full, so you aren't actually adding 20 gallons to the system size.

I run my sump at about 3/4 to keep my skimmer operating at optimum. You should see how close it gets when I shut my pumps off! I've maybe got a gallon of wiggle room (if I'm lucky). I don't ever let hubby see that. :o

MKLKT
09-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I run my sump at about 3/4 to keep my skimmer operating at optimum. You should see how close it gets when I shut my pumps off! I've maybe got a gallon of wiggle room (if I'm lucky). I don't ever let hubby see that. :o

Haha, gotta love physics. It's a big puzzle of baffle heights, pump sizes and water flow.

gassniffer
09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks_for_the_advice_on_the_sump..After_pricing_o ut_acrylic_I_have_decided_to_build_my_own_to_Maxim ize_sump_size..
The_other_question_I_have_is_should_I_go_duel_over _flow_in_the_tank??_one_on_each_of_the_corners??