PDA

View Full Version : Dry rock bubble algae.

Doug
08-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Before I moved, I traded some of my older live rock for some dry eco rock or whatever its called. I have a small bit of bubble algae here and there. Its always been easy to clean off during water changes.

Now this new rock thats been in my tank for several months now, is just plastered in masses of small bubble algae. Never have I seen the likes of it. I just tooth brushed the heck out of it during a water change, {in a bucket} and flipped it over.

Really thinking of throwing it in the garbage as I dont see how its controllable. Anyone else have this problem with similar types of rock?

11purewater
08-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Do you have an emerald crab or two?

Enigma
08-31-2012, 01:42 AM
I've had significant hair algae issues every time I've used dry rock, but not bubble algae issues. I did introduce bubble algae to my system on a frag, so we'll see what it does.

I've decided that dry rock needs to be cooked. I know we're told that it doesn't, but I no longer believe that. I'm convinced that it leeches phosphates. I've just ordered 25 more pounds, so we'll see if cooking it changes anything.

NU-2reef
08-31-2012, 01:44 AM
Just take the rock out and nuke it. Throw it back in and time will do the rest

Doug
08-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Do you have an emerald crab or two?

I have one old goat thats been in my tank for a few years. Only thing he eats is fish food. I could put a 100 in and they could not eat all that small bubble algae.

I've had significant hair algae issues every time I've used dry rock, but not bubble algae issues. I did introduce bubble algae to my system on a frag, so we'll see what it does.

I've decided that dry rock needs to be cooked. I know we're told that it doesn't, but I no longer believe that. I'm convinced that it leeches phosphates. I've just ordered 25 more pounds, so we'll see if cooking it changes anything.

I think that has to be the case, otherwise no reason for something like whats happened to my rock. Plus I run lots of gfo in my 20g, all the time, not to mention 25% water change every week. And besides the small amounts here and there, its not growing on whats left of my 15yr. old Fiji rock, whci I should have kept.

Just take the rock out and nuke it. Throw it back in and time will do the rest

I,m going to "nuke" it alright. :lol: You would think when one buys a dead type non reef rock, it would be free of the problems that some live rock has.

Right? Besides the cheaper price, is that not why some purchase it?

Ok, I,m off to read how to "nuke". Sheez, 35yrs and I never nuked anything. :lol:

reefwars
08-31-2012, 02:13 AM
dry rock is as good as top soil :P

go back to the fiji rock doug , good stuff right there:)

Doug
09-01-2012, 01:31 AM
dry rock is as good as top soil :P

Well I thought it was suppose to be good. So far, in my experience, you may be correct.

go back to the fiji rock doug , good stuff right there:)

Ya, wish I had kept it but to late now.. :lol:

NU-2reef
09-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Nothing wrong with dry rock. Just needs time to get live. Because it lacks beneficial bacteria the rock has no way to deal with the ditritus that settles in the pores and becomes a nutrient factory. That would be why algae is more prevelant to dry rock , just an easier place to thrive on nutrients. Dry rock is better for new tanks and people with patience to wait several months for the bacteria to mature and establish itself.

I used 90% dry rock in my new tank that has been running since nov2011. Still no coral or fish just mb7 and reef fuel. The other 10% is live rock and sand from a well established system. Now my rock is just as live as any with lots of coralline and zero pests.

reefwars
09-01-2012, 04:13 AM
Nothing wrong with dry rock. Just needs time to get live. Because it lacks beneficial bacteria the rock has no way to deal with the ditritus that settles in the pores and becomes a nutrient factory. That would be why algae is more prevelant to dry rock , just an easier place to thrive on nutrients. Dry rock is better for new tanks and people with patience to wait several months for the bacteria to mature and establish itself.

I used 90% dry rock in my new tank that has been running since nov2011. Still no coral or fish just mb7 and reef fuel. The other 10% is live rock and sand from a well established system. Now my rock is just as live as any with lots of coralline and zero pests.

so your saying its better to have dry rock and that all this algae is a good sign that the rock is becoming live???and that over time the bacteria will mature and take the algae out??? if it was a tuff of hair algae id say big deal but ifested with bubble algae is a bit extreme considering these are the kind of pest algaes im sure he was trying to avoid.

im still pro live rock bigtime, i know all too many set ups with horrible nutrient problems and dry rocks:)

NU-2reef
09-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Not at all. I'm pro live rock as well but all live rock I have purchased have always had some sort of pests that I then have to eradicate. I just prefer to lower the risk.

What I'm trying to say is that dry rock in an established system is not always best because it has no way to manage excess nutrients which explains why pest algae is more susceptible. Had the dry rock been cured and matured outside the system then introduced once matured we would have better luck not having pest algae because it now has beneficial bacteria to help as a biofiltration.

In my case I had the time to allow dry rock to establish itself and I was in no rush to add livestock. I used live rock and sand to seed but it takes a long time which most are not willing to wait.

Both types have their benefits but need to be employed appropriately