PDA

View Full Version : Adding a sump to my 55g reef. Help!

mandyplo
08-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Very new to a sump idea, but I am moving my tank from my boyfriends house to my house as he is neglecting my baby. I love it too much to see it go to waste!

So I want to add a sump as I am going to build a new stand for the tank anyways. As for sumps, I don't know whether I want to do a refugium/sump in one or a berlin method?...

Anyways, my question is does anyone know of any websites that build ready-to-go sumps with overflow boxes and everything? Basically just buy the product as a whole, hook it up to my tank and I'm ready to go?

I saw this one on BRS but I don't know if it comes with overflow boxes or if they let you buy those separately, in case some customers want to drill their tank...
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps-tanks-refugiums/sumps/aqueon-proflex-sump-filtration-system-model-1.html

Edit: Okay I just read a little bit about berlin vs. refugium. So let me see if I've got this straight: A berlin is just an open system with water coming into the sump from an overflow box from your display tank, passing by the protein skimmer and any other kind of equipment you are going to store in your sump, then entering the return pump area where the water is moved back to your display. A refugium type sump is similar to a berlin, except that there is a partitioned area in the middle of the sump for marine algae such as chaeto to grow and remove nitrates from your water.

So for me, a person with a mixed reef and fish tank, which method would be most desirable? I'm leaning towards refugium but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Help help help lol

stellarfly
08-31-2012, 12:16 AM
I hear that "my reef creations" sumps are great and solid built in the USA. They can build one to your specs. You can add or subtract as many chambers as you need plus they come with great lids to reduce noise. Built to last. Very strong high quality sumps. Worth a look. Not sure how expensive. Maybe look at the website. Might lead you in the right direction. As for having a Refugium or not. It's usually a personal preference. You technically don't need a Refugium cause usually small Refugium's found in most sumps are just not big enough to handle all the nutrient export. Depending on what your reef personality is you might look into carbon dosing, bacterial dosing, or using gfo for nutrient control. It's a big topic though for such a broad question. I'm building my first tank and I will have no room for a Refugium's cause of limited sump space. I am going to be fighting nutrients with bacteria (dr. Tim's waste away) and using dual media reactor with carbon and gfo.

Good luck

mandyplo
08-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Yes I forgot to mention, I will be sticking my dual canister carbon and GFO reactor on the sump as well. Does this mean a refuge is redundant? Or are there other benefits to having a refugium?

reefwars
08-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Yes I forgot to mention, I will be sticking my dual canister carbon and GFO reactor on the sump as well. Does this mean a refuge is redundant? Or are there other benefits to having a refugium?

i would continue to run your gfo and carbon , and yes i would also include a refuge, besides export a refuge does just what its name stands for , its a place for bacteria and other little creatures to reproduce without as many predators:)

badAZZlars
08-31-2012, 01:22 AM
i would continue to run your gfo and carbon , and yes i would also include a refuge, besides export a refuge does just what its name stands for , its a place for bacteria and other little creatures to reproduce without as many predators:)

+1