PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions 20gal Lighting

SCUBA_STEVE
08-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Hey all,

Just starting a 20 gal saltwater tank and I am wondering what i should do for lighting. Tank dimensions are 24x12x16. I am looking at getting some coral going probably just some softies and some fish. This setup will eventually be moved into a larger tank within a year, so I really dont want to drop a lot of money on some lights. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me.
Thanks,
Steve

mrhasan
08-30-2012, 03:42 AM
I use a dual T5HO fixture on my 20 gallon. But its a long one so its shallower than the regular 20 gallon.

But I think dual fixture should be good, quad even better :D

gregzz4
08-30-2012, 04:25 AM
What system do you think you'll have in the future ?
I ask as it's about the same price to get an AI fixture as it is for a high end T5 ( 6 bulb or more ), and will cost you less in the long-run as there won't be any bulbs to buy :wink:

If you want LEDs on your future system, consider getting a single now

Otherwise, go with the 2xT5 suggestion, although 4 will give you more bulb options and won't limit your needs

mseepman
08-30-2012, 04:40 AM
I would take a quick look at these...reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=reef-supply-canada&pc=14363

04V10
08-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey Scuba Steve,

I have some Maxspect Mazzarra LED's that I'm no longer using. I had it on my 20 gal and they work great. I was growing SPS, and a clam under them, so they are more than capable. I'm no longer using them as my wife surprised me with Radions. I was going to use them for a sump, but I decided I didn't wanna do an overflow box, so i'm just doing an HOB refugium and skimmer.

They are only 7 months old. If you're interested let me know. I have all the mounts and power supply as well. One module was enough to light what I have, which is the same dimensions as yours.

Gary.

Doug
08-30-2012, 03:40 PM
I would take a quick look at these...reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=reef-supply-canada&pc=14363

Ohhh. Those look like a good option for a bit more light for my nano. And good price. Thanks for the link Mark.

mseepman
08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Nick is excellent to deal with too! I've been tempted to grab on of these for testing as well.

Doug
08-31-2012, 01:28 AM
I contacted them about the lights. Not sure about the use of cool whites for white light unless thats just a term used by them.

Doug
08-31-2012, 07:46 PM
I contacted them about the lights. Not sure about the use of cool whites for white light unless thats just a term used by them.

Nick said the whites are 10k to 12k range, so thats good. Looks like it has about the same length wise coverage as mine but more width, which is what anyone running a standard 20g like mine or wider cube size would need for coverage. Likely going to order one today.

Doug
09-01-2012, 01:51 AM

Mine is on the way. I will post a review of some kind on it. I can compare with my SWC Extreme unit, currently in use on my 20g