PDA

View Full Version : percipitation problem

rocksteveo
08-28-2012, 03:09 AM
So ive had my doser up and running for a few weeks now and things were going good, minor adjustments here and there but things are pretty stable.Today i checked my parms and my cal was really low 320ppm, usually around 390 -400ppm, mag was at 1400,alk 9.5 ,pottasium 400ppm, then i noticed some white crude on sump wall right where i drip my chemicals in. im dosing mag sulfate and cholride 1st then soda ash 2nd, then calcium chloride 3rd. the soda ash and calcium are dosed equally and around 20 minutes apart from each other 10 times through out the night. what im i doing wrong to cause this and is this gonna have any ill effect on tank? any help would be great thanks in advance Steve

MKLKT
08-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Are you getting sufficient flow in that area? Maybe the chems are just kinda sitting there when being dosed so the time offset isn't having enough of an effect?

rocksteveo
08-28-2012, 04:42 AM
yeah maybe, Ill try a new location

FragIt Dan
08-28-2012, 05:04 AM
The carbonate (soda ash) may be causing a localized large swing in pH in the area in which you are dosing, which would possibly cause your Ca to ppt out resulting in both the ppt you are seeing as well as the lower Ca. I would try adding it in a higher flow area, or perhaps use the S1 setting on your doser to add it more slowly. Personally, I mix my dKh up at about a 7:1 ratio of Bicarbonate to carbonate to pH balance it prior to addition, but you should still be adding your chems to a high flow area. Just one possible idea :)
Dan

rocksteveo
08-28-2012, 11:43 PM
thanks dan , will try that and see how it goes.