PDA

View Full Version : LF: something to eat Aiptasia EDM

Adread
08-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Hello Canreef, we bought a couple of peppermint shrimp the other day and they don't seem to want anything to do with the Aiptasia. Hoping to find a reef safe fish or snail that will eat the stuff for us.

Located in Edmonton

Thanks
Adam

Nizzmo
08-27-2012, 02:37 AM
I'm having great success with lime juice... I went to save on foods , bought a 25 cent needle syringe and I dose it right into their mouth.... Kills them big time! It's only good for spot treatment... I think if you have aptasia you will forever until you redo your tank and kill everything...

jagermaier
08-27-2012, 03:57 AM
If you can find someone that is selling a Berghia Nudibranch, I hear that works good!!

bignose
08-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Red Coral has nudis for sale.

subman
08-27-2012, 04:57 AM
Hello Canreef, we bought a couple of peppermint shrimp the other day and they don't seem to want anything to do with the Aiptasia. Hoping to find a reef safe fish or snail that will eat the stuff for us.

Located in Edmonton

Thanks
Adam

Don't give up on the peppermints so quick, they may not seem to be doing anything but after a few weeks you should notice a difference, just takes time. The berghia's will eat them for sure, but depending on how long the peppermints have been in there maybe just be patient.

noirsphynx
08-27-2012, 05:17 AM
I would personally add more than 2 and I agree with having patience. I had an aiptasia problem at one point and added 7 peppermints. After 2 weeks in the tank and still a ton of aiptasia I had just about given up on them but then they finally decided it was a tasty treat and it was eradicated within days.

reefwars
08-27-2012, 05:29 AM
I would personally add more than 2 and I agree with having patience. I had an aiptasia problem at one point and added 7 peppermints. After 2 weeks in the tank and still a ton of aiptasia I had just about given up on them but then they finally decided it was a tasty treat and it was eradicated within days.

it helps to cut off their food sources, then it forces them to hunt for anemones. they work better in packs" for sure:)

depending on what you have for coral a matted filefish is another great route:)

SteveConn
08-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I have aiptasia slowly spreading too. Tried Aiptaisia X..used it correctly from what I could tell and it doesn't seem very effective.
I will try the peppermint route, but curious about the filefish.... what corals do they tend to go for? I have a lot of SPS, LPS, including a nice zoa collection. Also have a few nems I don't want eaten

Aquattro
08-27-2012, 05:41 PM
I've had 5 different filefish over the last 2 years (they get into spots they shouldn't) and none have touched my SPS, button polyps or euphylia corals. Brett added one, it went right for his SPS...so, with adding one of these, you are taking a chance. IMO, a 1 in 7 chance, but still, be prepared to remove it.

reefwars
08-27-2012, 05:47 PM
I've had 5 different filefish over the last 2 years (they get into spots they shouldn't) and none have touched my SPS, button polyps or euphylia corals. Brett added one, it went right for his SPS...so, with adding one of these, you are taking a chance. IMO, a 1 in 7 chance, but still, be prepared to remove it.

absolutely they def arnt reefsafe, they tend to go for fleshy lps and fancy zoos more than anything else, but not all do as brad said ike angels its really hit or miss.

if you can borrow one off someone thats got a good one is best(i went that route once and borrowed mine to a friend for a couple weeks)

its worth a shot, def if you can remove some lps and zoas while hes doing his job.

also it has to b the matted filefish no other filefish will do the job, and alot get sold as matted filefish or aiptasia eating filefish.

this is the fish you are looking for:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+30+2562&pcatid=2562

SteveConn
08-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Great idea on borrowing one! Never thought of that. I will post an add.
Want to get at the aiptasia before it gets worse.. maybe 10 or so that I can see.
I keep trying Aiptaisia X...not convinced its very effective

Adread
08-27-2012, 07:03 PM
And officially highjacked! Lol. Thanks
For the help guys. Gonna stick it out with the peppermints and keep an eye open for a healthy copper band butterfly that's eating well.

Thanks
Adam

SteveConn
08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Sorry Adam!!

Maybe use the same idea of borrowing a matted filefish if your other methods dont work out. Aiptaisia are a pain! I just found one UNDER a frag disk.

Have you tried Aiptasia X as well?

Adread
08-27-2012, 07:30 PM
No problem.

I have heard that it doesn't really work. I've tried lemon juice and it has worked on one but not any others.

Nizzmo
08-27-2012, 08:42 PM
lime juice*