PDA

View Full Version : Feeding BTA?

mark
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
do you have to?

stellarfly
08-26-2012, 09:48 PM
From what i have heard and read it's not necessary to feed anemones cause they are photosynthetic in nature. Yes, they have a mouth in the centre for large food but spot feeding corals just trashes your tank in the long run. It was suggested to me that if a person really wants to feed the anemone doing so about monthly with silversides. Also, making sure to use smaller pieces so the anemone does not spit out chunks.

hope that helps.

dc4
08-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Depends in how fast you want it to grow and how healthy you want it to be. If my nem starts looking flat, I feed it a but more and it looks a lot better later in the day. Sure, it can live off light but we can live off water and bread but I'm sure we wouldn't like it. I feed my nem an assortment of food. Pellets, mysis, blood worms, chopped clams, everything my tank gets fed, it gets a sample of. If you feed your tank a lot, you most likely won't need to target feed it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RedCoralEdmonton
08-26-2012, 11:37 PM
we feed our nems in the store every day, no pollution problems at all, just dont stick a 3" silverside into a 1" nem... lol.... like its been stated before you could le t them live off the light, but every tank has a different light and depth.... so you are just gambling on whether the conditions are correct for a nem.... I also find they walk around way less.... even never if they are fed daily.....

Steve

Myka
08-27-2012, 12:45 AM
I have had my RBTAs for 3 and 4 years. They get the occasional PE Mysis shrimp when one of the Clownfish grabs a piece that is too big to swallow and they dart back to the anemone where the anemone steals it out of their mouth. I don't target feed them, and they don't walk around (or they would be finding new homes haha).