PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions on changing sand bed

martym
04-10-2004, 03:09 PM
After doing lots of reading, I want to remove my 1-2" of crushed coral and add a 4-6" oolite sand bed. Should I remove only a small protion at a time, or do it all at once? Should I remove everything from the tank or work around the live rock? That may be difficult because parts of the substrate have clumped together.

Aquattro
04-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Just curious why you're adding a 6" DSB at time when many others are removing theirs.

martym
04-10-2004, 04:12 PM
I got concerned when my subsrate started clumping. Did some reading and found that the smaller (sugar size) sand was better. Not as sharp. and easier for critters to thrive. I have no critters ( worms ect.) in my tank. The DSB helps the critters reproduce which in turns feeds the corals. It also helps with denitrication. I know there has been alot of disscusion about the DBS crashing, but the one of the articles I found on the net claimed that this is unlikely. http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
And after 9 months of struggling with the tank( algae, corals up and dying and problems with calcium( due to IO salt)) I figure this is the last thing for me to try. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

StirCrazy
04-10-2004, 04:36 PM
I got concerned when my subsrate started clumping. Did some reading and found that the smaller (sugar size) sand was better. Not as sharp. and easier for critters to thrive. I have no critters ( worms ect.) in my tank. The DSB helps the critters reproduce which in turns feeds the corals. It also helps with denitrication. I know there has been alot of disscusion about the DBS crashing, but the one of the articles I found on the net claimed that this is unlikely. http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
And after 9 months of struggling with the tank( algae, corals up and dying and problems with calcium( due to IO salt)) I figure this is the last thing for me to try. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

if you read more recient areticles by Dr ron, he has sence changed his tune and says that it is inpossable for the home aquarest to obtain and sustain all the critters required for the long term sucess of a DSB.

inlight of all the people throwing away there DSB's and going to bare bottom I find it surprising to see some one saying they want to go to a DSB now. everone of thoes people had nutrent problems that were solved as soon as they got rid of there DSB.

I had problems cause by my DSB and went to a shallow sand bed. I am still getting problems with it now. the next steap is to try take the sand out with out moving the rock.. :rolleyes:

Steve

Steve

pocilipora
04-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Id never do a DSB again. :eek: Try a 1 or maybe 2 inch bed, thats all you need. IMO

martym
04-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. Should I still get ride of the crushed coral and go with 1" max of sugar sand then?
Stircrazy Do you have a link to the newer article?

ron101
04-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Ditto what everyone else said. Last January I was getting ugly algae problems and no coral growth with my 3 yo 4-6" DSB. Swapped it out for 2" of crushed coral which gets a good vacuuming monthly; tank has never been better.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but given my experience with a DSB I would say that they are a poor choice for nutrient control in the home aquarium. Adding detrivores actually adds to the bio load and it is next to impossible to tell if they are helping with nutrients (after all nothing is being removed from the system). Since one should be doing water changes anyways, manual removal of detritus via syphoning (coarser grain substrate or bare bottom) is IMO a much more sound approach.

TNTCanada
04-10-2004, 10:34 PM
I was also going to switch my crushed coral for a shallow sand when I move at the end of the month. May be I shouldn't. I would like to hear more thoughts on this topic. This could save me a whole lot of hassle.

EmilyB
04-10-2004, 11:25 PM
When I first got into the hobby, all I used was crushed coral and never had problems. Vacuumed the substrate, had zillions of critters, only to jump on the DSB wagon and four years later remove a horrid mess. :eek:

I went with a shallow sand bed on the new tank, but I'm almost regretting it.

martym
04-10-2004, 11:38 PM
How deep are you now? I have 1-2"

StirCrazy
04-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the advice. Should I still get ride of the crushed coral ?

are you having problems from it? if not leave it in, if you are having problems that you think is being caused by the crushed coral then take it out.

as for the artilce just do a search on dsb problems on RC and you will get more than ennuf info.. there are also some very good discussions going on on the seattle board "reef fronteirs".

Steve

marie
04-11-2004, 01:43 AM
I have 1 to 2in. of sand in my two large tanks and i am quite happy with it. I don't vacuum it or anything it seems to get cyano in cycles. For months it will be clean and white and then cyano creeps in and it is slimy for a few weeks. I just cut down on feeding for a while and its gone in a couple of weeks.

Marcus K
04-11-2004, 04:27 PM
What would be best for in a 10gal Refugium? I was going to use a DSB for this only as my main is 2" CC. I have found that my tank is doing much better if I vacuum twice a month. The stuff that I vac out looked like coffee and smells terrible. No when I vac its no where near as bad. Now all I need is a good skimmer and I'm set. Any one have a Beckett style skimmer for sale that is good for a 90?