PDA

View Full Version : Apex pH Probe

Enigma
08-26-2012, 07:20 PM
I should really read instructions before hand.

I only picked up ph7 solution for calibrating my pH probe. The probe read the solution as being 7.01, which I think is okay. Then I tried to use the same solution as the high and low solutions for calibrating. That didn't work.

I figured since the probe was so close to reading the ph7 solution correctly that it would be trustworthy enough to use without actually being calibrated, so I popped it in my sump.

My API test always returns a value somewhere between 8.2 and 8.4.

Could it really be that out? should I even worry about this until I get the ph10 solution?

Coralgurl
09-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Did you get this sorted out? I dropped mine in today and got the same reading but my API test has consistently read 8.3? I don't have any calibration fluid ATM.

Enigma
09-04-2012, 01:41 AM
I'm waiting for pH10 calibration fluid in the mail.

I'm recording the Apex results as my pH, but I'm backing it up with my API test. My API test tends to show my pH a little higher than the Apex probe.

The probe records between 8.11 and 8.23. It took a little bit (couple of hours) for it to settle in. That first reading may have been erroneous.

I'm pretty confident in it. If it is out, it isn't out by much.

Aquattro
09-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Adding water to a vial to test with a test kit will alter the pH slightly up. So it will read at least a bit high.
Testing pH will also make a person crazy, I highly recommend against it. My Apex pH probe is still in the box, right where it belongs :)

Enigma
09-04-2012, 01:58 AM
pH doesn't make me crazy. Ca/Alk/Mag do! :lol:

Coralgurl
09-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Alright, will check mine again in the morning. Ty!

Aquattro
09-04-2012, 02:27 AM
pH doesn't make me crazy. Ca/Alk/Mag do! :lol:

I don't test that either, not taking any chances!

Coleus
09-04-2012, 04:14 AM
I agree with Brad on this, ph probe will drive you crazy one day. I just don't bother calibrate or care about my ph probe reading any more.

Enigma
09-04-2012, 04:45 AM
I don't test that either, not taking any chances!

Sounds like a plan. :cry:

Aquattro
09-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Sounds like a plan. :cry:

I sleep much better when I'm not chasing numbers. I tested Ca once this year, it was good. Alk was a bit high, figured if I left it alone, it would probably level out. Corals look good, I was probably right.

reefwars
09-04-2012, 05:10 AM
I sleep much better when I'm not chasing numbers. I tested Ca once this year, it was good. Alk was a bit high, figured if I left it alone, it would probably level out. Corals look good, I was probably right.

haha im exactly the same , ok so did my first test in what ill say forever lol calcium 400 on the nose and alk 7.5 , i never tested ph

nitrates are 15-20 and i dont test for phos , i just run copious amounts of gfo lol

my salinity is 1.023 and the temp is whatever the room keeps it at:)

i have a crazy amount of coral and i do water changes with IO , def not as reg as i use to.

my next test will be spring when this converstaon happens again:P

and its not all about being a old tank or new tank my roomates tank of a month or two reads the same as mine.