PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse ID please

arash53
08-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi,

I bought this Wrasse from J&L couple days ago as Peacock Wrasse, but I couldn't find any info about him in the internet!

Even the picture people uploaded as Peacock wrasse is black leopard!!

He is very friendly and calm, but as soon as I feed the tank he become really agressive to my Leopard Wrasse , and chase him around, the good thing is the Leopard waking up at 8 and I feed him before all other fishes.

I wonder if anyone could identify this Wrasse and pass em some info.

here is his picture :

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/arash53/DSC_0008.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/arash53/DSC_0003-1.jpg

and my Leopard:

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/arash53/DSC_0005-1.jpg

burgerchow
08-26-2012, 07:25 PM
looks like a Christmas Wrasse

arash53
08-26-2012, 07:33 PM
no its not the colors and patterns are completely different than Christmas Wrasse

windcoast reefs
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
It's a melanarus wrasse, they can be agressive sometimes, but are usually peaceful.

arash53
08-26-2012, 07:49 PM
It's a melanarus wrasse, they can be agressive sometimes, but are usually peaceful.

Close but not a melanarus , the tail pattern is different and melanarus has vertical lines. Actually it was a melanarus in the nex tank when I bought him he are very different when you see them together .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Snappy
08-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Close but not a melanarus , the tail pattern is different and melanarus has vertical lines.

I believe you mean horizontal lines don't you? :wink:

arash53
08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
I believe you mean horizontal lines don't you? :wink:

Yea lol

windcoast reefs
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Mine went through a progression with vertical lines, then they disappeared leaving some strange marks at the top just like this one has. Anyways it Looks very similar to mine.

Myka
08-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Looks like sub-dominant male Halichoeres ortnatissimus Ornate Wrasse. In other words still holding some female coloration. Keep in mind also, that Wrasses vary in coloration and they don't all look exactly the same.

windcoast reefs
08-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Looks like sub-dominant male Halichoeres ortnatissimus Ornate Wrasse. In other words still holding some female coloration. Keep in mind also, that Wrasses vary in coloration and they don't all look exactly the same.

Yeah you might be right about the ornate wrasse, colors really can change, especially in wild caught fish.

arash53
08-27-2012, 03:11 AM

Will his colors completely change to male or may stay in between!
Are they agressive fish? he only get agressive when it is feeding time.

arash53
08-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Some one on BCA told me he is an Argus Wrasse, Halichoeres argus also known in the trade as a Peacock Wrasse as they sold it to me. Seems right the colors match with my fish. He is aggressive to my Leopard when I feed the tank, I might need to return the Leopard back to J&L or sell it if the don't get along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD