PDA

View Full Version : Cold Tank

Coralgurl
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Got up this morning, checked the tanks and noticed the heater was unplugged...kids making smoothies yesterday, and the heater was plugged into one of the counter outlets. I leave the window beside the tank open so now the heater is reading 68 degrees. I turned the lights on and everything looks ok, including the fish. Will keep an eye on it but should I be worried, how fast should I raise the temp or just let the heaters warm things back up?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I would probably set it for a little lower than normal & then let it stabilize at say 72F then after a few hours, raise the temp a bit more. Sharp fluctuations are bad, so try for a more gradual rise to normal temp.

Myka
08-26-2012, 03:03 PM
How big is the heater? How big is the tank? I ask because if the heater is over-sized (which is a risk in itself) then the tank will warm up very fast. If the heater is barely big enough for the tank then it will warm up much slower. If the heater isn't over-sized it shouldn't be a problem to just plug it back in.

Coralgurl
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
It's a 55 gl tank and the heaters are sized accordingly, not sure of the make of them. I will wait to see how much the temp goes up over the next hour, if it's a degree or 2, will leave them set at 79, if it's more than that, I will turn them down. Thanks

Enigma
08-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Kids! An empty bottle on vinegar showed up on our coffee table yesterday. My three-year-old refuses to tell me where the vinegar went (tank looks okay).

I think Myka's advice is very sound. If the heater is oversized, I'd just be sure to raise it in slower increments.

I'm glad everything looks okay so far, Sheena.

Myka
08-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Heaters? If that's the case, just plug one in. "Sized accordingly" doesn't tell me much about the size of the heaters since that could be anything from 2 watts per gallon to 6 watts per gallon.

Coralgurl
08-26-2012, 03:34 PM
It's a fluval e200 rated to 65 gl, 200 watts. I have 2 heaters but only using 1 over the summer, I did plug both in. Temp is now at 70.

reefwars
08-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Got up this morning, checked the tanks and noticed the heater was unplugged...kids making smoothies yesterday, and the heater was plugged into one of the counter outlets. I leave the window beside the tank open so now the heater is reading 68 degrees. I turned the lights on and everything looks ok, including the fish. Will keep an eye on it but should I be worried, how fast should I raise the temp or just let the heaters warm things back up?

i dont have heaters right now on any of my tanks lol youll be fine with slowly raising things youd be surprised how temperate your livestock can be:)

Coralgurl
08-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Kids! An empty bottle on vinegar showed up on our coffee table yesterday. My three-year-old refuses to tell me where the vinegar went (tank looks okay).

I think Myka's advice is very sound. If the heater is oversized, I'd just be sure to raise it in slower increments.

I'm glad everything looks okay so far, Sheena.

Well, my "kid" is 19 and knows better...I wonder what your 3 yr old would do with vinegar...hmmmm glad your tank is ok too!:biggrin:

Coralgurl
08-26-2012, 03:45 PM
i dont have heaters right now on any of my tanks lol youll be fine with slowly raising things youd be surprised how temperate your livestock can be:)

With it being cooler at night, I keep the heaters on as I like to leave the windows open and both tanks are right beside them.

Things look good so far though.

reefwars
08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
With it being cooler at night, I keep the heaters on as I like to leave the windows open and both tanks are right beside them.

Things look good so far though.

yup same here, it got cold last night my tank is at 71 too, just let it raise slowly.
ill be hooking my heaters up today as well':)