PDA

View Full Version : Orchid Dottyback Questions.

ensquire
08-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I am currently on the Island and browsing through the 2 local LFS.
There is a gorgeous Orchid dottyback in one of the stores and I would like to know other peoples experiences with this fish.
Specificaly, I have a yellow clown Goby and a Starry Blennie in the tank already and am planning on adding at least another goby to the tank. The info I have read states that they may be aggressive toward smaller fish.
Thanks

TimT
08-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Pretty much all Orchid Dottybacks are now captive bred. I have found that they are not that aggressive but I would not put it in if your yellow coral goby is 1/2" or smaller.

A lot of the time fish aggression is related to hunger. Keep them well fed and they are more peaceful.

Make sure you get an Orchid Dottyback and not a Strawberry Dottyback. Adult Orchid Dottybacks have a flowing type tail which is longer at the bottom while a Strawberry Dottybacks tail is rounded.

JmeJReefer
08-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Have an orchid. Will beat up the gobies into perpetual hiding. Territorial. And will dig a network of tunnels in sand under rockwork. I keep it with a blue chromis and is doing well now. Skittish little fish!

reefwars
08-24-2012, 05:35 PM
my orchid was a terror and im glad my sixline killed him, in the smaller tank he terrorized the other fish into hiding, when i put him into the 90g my sixline and him hated each other.

my conclusions..both dottybacks and sixlines are a**holes lol:P

Carrera75
08-24-2012, 05:39 PM
I had an Orchid Dottyback that lived in my tank for about 3 years. It was a beautiful fish, fat and healthy but it always hid and only came out during feeding time. I should mention that it was not a docile fish. It terrorized some of the other fish but perhaps if you have a big system it would behave differently.

reefwars
08-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I had an Orchid Dottyback that lived in my tank for about 3 years. It was a beautiful fish, fat and healthy but it always hid and only came out during feeding time. I should mention that it was not a docile fish. It terrorized some of the other fish but perhaps if you have a big system it would behave differently.

thats why i put mine in my 90g i had hoped he would be better behaved, im sure if my sixline wasnt in there he prob would have been more docile:)

daniella3d
08-24-2012, 11:28 PM
I bought a captive bread orchid and that thing was so freaking aggressive I had to sell it. It was attaching everything else that moved in my tank. Made all the fish jump out of the tank.

I sold it to someone who had a large tank and same thing....it would attack the wrasse and make them jump out. Anything less than 5" long was a fair game for it.

NASTY FISH...NEVER EVER AGAIN.

And the worse of the worse thing....they are constantly hiding when not coming out to eat or to terrorize other fish so yeah it's beautiful...but you rarely see it anyway. pointless.

I am currently on the Island and browsing through the 2 local LFS.
There is a gorgeous Orchid dottyback in one of the stores and I would like to know other peoples experiences with this fish.
Specificaly, I have a yellow clown Goby and a Starry Blennie in the tank already and am planning on adding at least another goby to the tank. The info I have read states that they may be aggressive toward smaller fish.
Thanks

ensquire
08-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Thank you everyone , No orchid for me . I like my smaller fish to much..