PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Enigma
08-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Should I be target feeding this guy? He's quite large (full grown, i think), and I've never seen it actually eat anything. I feed the tank one cube of frozen shrimp a day, and a pinch of pellets. Can I assume he's getting enough to eat?

jagermaier
08-24-2012, 04:42 AM
Shrimps are scavengers and will find food that other tank mates can't get at. Chances are it is finding food throughout the tank and in time it will feed with all the others during feeding time. I have 3 of them in my tank and they literally trip other one another during feeding time they are so excited...just give it time.

canadianbudz604
08-24-2012, 05:34 AM
The shrimp will spend lots of time picking at everything finding food. Mine likes to eat ocean nutrition flakes and anything else it can get its hands on. Sometimes they get too excited and climb all over corals and **** them off :yell:

daplatapus
08-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Yup, mine steals probably 50% of the food I try and target my corals. Especially my torch for some reason :)

Enigma
08-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks, folks. :)

Some of these inverts really get me scratching my head.

Enigma
08-29-2012, 02:47 AM
I actually saw it eat today, so I'm much relieved. :)

It also molted. That means it is doing well, right? It's molt wound up stuck in an MP10.

It was very vigorous this evening when I fed the tank. It is an odd little thing!

daplatapus
08-29-2012, 04:02 AM
They're pretty cool little creatures. Definitely one of the biggest personalities in my tank. Not sure if you knew so I'll say it just to make sure, they really rely on iodine to be able to molt properly and with the least amount of stress. Regular water changes are usually enough to supply this.
Keep up the good work! :D

FWC
08-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Stick your hand is there and let him clean your hand :)

gregzz4
08-29-2012, 06:15 AM
And after the fish are fed, try holding some food near it
It will eat from your fingers once it gets used to you

As for it eating, don't worry, it should get some of what's blowing around when you feed your fish