PDA

View Full Version : Should a store have their live rock attached to their systems?

howdy20012002
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
hello all
just wanted people's opinions
should a store have their live rock bin attached to their system?
I am pretty sure that is what Big Al's does
obviously, the biggest downfall could be any diseases that the system has now is on the rock potentially.
the biggest benefit is that the rock would have already been cycled
what do you think?
should stores sell liverock attached or not attached to their store systems.
thanks in advance for any input.
Neal

Aquattro
08-23-2012, 03:39 PM
When I buy rock, I want it fresh, uncured and not having been in contact with systems other than the rock bin. Having bought fish that had velvet, I know that the likelihood of an entire system having some disease is fairly high, and I don't want to introduce a fish disease when I didn't even buy a fish.
Personally, I would not buy rock attached to the main system.

howdy20012002
08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
thanks for the input Brad. that is kinda of what I figured as well.
ultimately, why take the chance?
I just wanted to see what people feel.
thanks again
Neal

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
yah I also saw most of the stores keeping live rocks in the display or probably in the refugium. Maybe that way, the rocks are kept alive and cured. Not sure about the disease though :|

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
No. Or maybe just to a single tank of damsels or other very hardy fish.

Remember stores get fresh shipments all the time. If you attach the holding tank to the rest of the store's system, then you'll get ammonia and nitrite spikes every time a new shipment comes in.

Also, some LFS add a bit of copper into their systems for disease control, which would make the LR completely dead & useless.

So NO, in general, not a great idea to have the two together.

muck
08-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Keep it separate Neal.
Plumbing the rock tank in with a fish system or coral system is asking for trouble.

Nano
08-23-2012, 03:58 PM
That and the fact that last weekend I was at big als in Edmonton and the live rock tank was so full there was rock sitting up out if the water. Probably not live anymore :wink::lol:

howdy20012002
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree with the consensus.
thanks for all of your input
Neal

damtrees420
08-23-2012, 04:51 PM
i agree about not having it in the same place if i recall the only tanks set up to there rock bin are the two right above were they keep it there is a seprit sump in the back room for the rest

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Yup, too many reasons NOT to do it.

howdy20012002
08-23-2012, 06:35 PM
BTW, just to clarify.
I wasn't pointing any fingers at anyone or suggesting that any stores actually did have them attached because I am not 100 percent sure.
just wanted people's opinions.
thanks again
Neal

Aysha
08-23-2012, 06:47 PM
If I'm paying THAT kind of money for LR it better be perfect. Also they better have just the perfect piece that I am looking for. Seeing the state of certain stores fish rooms does not inspire me with confidence.

Spyd
08-23-2012, 07:10 PM
I can't believe people actually buy rock from BA. The one near us is full of aiptasia and hydroids. And they want $8 / lb for it... Scary!!

FWC
08-23-2012, 07:49 PM
My marco rock was pest free ,way nicer looking ,and way cheaper then any fish store live rock :biggrin:

fishytime
08-23-2012, 08:54 PM
My marco rock was pest free ,way nicer looking ,and way cheaper then any fish store live rock :biggrin:

and dead :wink:

Aquattro
08-23-2012, 09:12 PM
and dead :wink:

Takes all the "live" out of live rock, doesn't it? lol

Aysha
08-23-2012, 09:16 PM
I got a fantastic 20lb piece from RCE and if you ask nicely it's not 9 bucks a lb

magikof7
08-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Right now after checking for months BA is the best place in the city for LR. It is covered in Pink and Purple coraline.
The other stores? it looks dead, brown and the other Big pet store here in calgary have big Majano's and aptasia on their LV and in their DT's.

I think If it can be managed then ideally each tank should be on its own filtration that way any diseases are contained in that one tank rather than all of them and especially not live rock tanks. :)

FWC
08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I suppose so...

But 8 months later it makes for some mighty fine live rock :D

Zoaelite
08-24-2012, 12:17 AM
What everyone else said.

Plus the fact if a giant order of deadrock is placed in the rock system wouldn't it potentially nuke all the inhabitants via cycle?

marblesab
08-24-2012, 03:57 AM
You don't want Big Al's rock anyway.... man it stinks something terrible - even when it's not sticking out of the water!

asylumdown
08-25-2012, 06:11 AM
My favourite way to buy live-rock now:

Develop a relationship with one of the LFS. Ask them very nicely if they'll order an extra box just for you the next time they do an order. Pick up the box the day it arrives on the airplane before it's hit any system of any kind. It's not that much more expensive than buying it out of their bins as it's something they do anyway and the shipping cost is split with the rest of their order, and your chances of picking up any nasties from the holding tanks are eliminated. You need to cure it yourself, but you have all the control in the situation.

I got a 66 pound box of Walt Smith rock from Fiji that way. Best Live rock I've ever seen.

Diseases aside, store holding tanks can be aiptasia factories, and anyone who has been through that hell before will know the value in skipping that step in the process.

hkreefjunkie
08-25-2012, 09:05 AM
No! I would never buy Live rock from a store that has it attached to their system! Thats just asking for trouble in the long run! I'd look for a store that has it separate with power heads and airstones in them.

albert_dao
08-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Live rock is a crappy product in the first place.