PDA

View Full Version : J&L order for between Aug 30 - Sept 04

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey all Im kinda new to reefing but I want to grab some Livestock from J&L aquatics. I was reading their shipping info and came across a 60$ shipping fee with purchase from 0-100 bucks. I was blown away, I want some cheapo cleanup crew items for now so I was wodnering if anyone would want to go in on this order. If you have had experiance with J&L I wouldnt mind knowing about the "procedures" so to speak of pick up and delivery. I dont drive at the moment so I would probs need UPS service down south. :( If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, and If you are down with ordering some things let me know.

-Jay

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Livestock shipping is always very expensive :P

Why don't you just head down to gold's and grab some cuc. They are very cheap :D

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I was told golds was either shut down or only did cichlids? If thats not the case I would be down to go there except I would need to know the bus route, seeing as how I have no ride/car at the moment :redface:

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Nop gold's is not closed yet (I went there during last week of last month). And yes they are only specialized in cichlids + saltwater too :P And they are C H E A P! I will be getting a green bta + a cleaner shrimp + some other cool stuffs (probably corals) from them when I come back next week. Plus I will give you a knock for the pompom too :D

I think 307 goes there from downtown.

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 04:02 PM
hahah cool sounds aesome Ill have to check them out. And I have bad news about the Pom-pom. At my store Iam unable to bring in saltwater anymore :( because the last ship ment had quite a few DOA and it chopped into the budget hard so my "higher-ups" wont let me bring saltwater fishys into the store anymore I was devestated.

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Oh :(

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 04:20 PM
its ok Im pretty sure the guys at Big al\s will order them :mrgreen:

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Yah I will have to talk with Big Als and gold's. Some one should be able to get them :P

globaldesigns
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I would head to Big Al's.... Andrew there (originally from Pisces) is a great guy with some excellent contact for bringing in livestock others are NOT. I have actually started buying there alot.

Selection has been great, and finally pricing is also excellent. Bought my last 4 wrasses there.

Golds is fairly cheap, but I find there selection limited now. Dennis seems to be more into chichlids than salt. But what he does have are priced great, and he will always sell you a healthy fish that is eating.

The Grizz
08-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I still can believe you are going back to Big Al's Rick after your boycott a few yrs back. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefwars
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
wais has pom pom crabs

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 04:52 PM
THanks for the info. Any idea how much they are for?

reefwars
08-23-2012, 04:58 PM
THanks for the info. Any idea how much they are for?

i believe $10 ill warn you though they can be more trouble then they are worth, they tear apart corals looking for nems and if you have aiptasia its an easy way to spread it as they will use the nems for their poms:) but that said they are quite nice:)

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
i believe $10 ill warn you though they can be more trouble then they are worth, they tear apart corals looking for nems and if you have aiptasia its an easy way to spread it as they will use the nems for their poms:) but that said they are quite nice:)

I am confident enough that aiptasia won't be a problem for me (aquacultured rock and no pest) but "tear apart corals" is a thing to be worried about :| I guess I better pass on them and get more sexy shrimps :D

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Hopefully my nem decides to split and my pom pom can grab that hahaa cause im expecting corals tomorrow and he better not try anything funny!

so there are two of us that are in on the J&L order possibly in two weeks three weeks time. I was thinking if 2 more wanted in we should be good to go then shipping isnt crazy! pm if your down!

reefwars
08-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I am confident enough that aiptasia won't be a problem for me

everyones gets it eventually pest free rock or not, if you buy corals theres always a possibility of it hitch hiking. i dont think i know one long term reefer who can say they never had it :P

SteveConn
08-23-2012, 07:55 PM
I bought dead, man-made rock to build a larger system. The starter system was free of aiptasia.. I am now fighting a small outbreak of them.
I was careful in introducing anything to my tank (well... I dipped them in Lugols and Hypo if they were zoas/palys).
I dont think you can really remain pest free. Welcome to building a new ecosystem!

strauss
08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm in for a j and l order. Let me know

SteveConn
08-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Oops.. sorta hijacked the thread there..

I bought fish and CUC from J&L when I first got into salt. Good experience. I'd be in for an order.

Beano1169
08-24-2012, 04:35 AM
[quote=strauss;739566]Oops.. sorta hijacked the thread there..

I bought fish and CUC from J&L when I first got into salt. Good experience. I'd be in for an order.

I'm in for a j and l order. Let me know

Cool that makes three of us. If we could get one more Im down to get er on the way by tomorrow and get an approx ship day that works for everyone and junk. Im way down south and dont drive really so let me know your area of calgary so we can figure out the shipping deal :)

the more the marrier!

mrhasan
08-24-2012, 05:35 AM
everyones gets it eventually pest free rock or not, if you buy corals theres always a possibility of it hitch hiking. i dont think i know one long term reefer who can say they never had it :P

Ouch :(

Beano1169
08-25-2012, 03:27 AM
ok who is all in I'm ready to do a head count haha

Beano1169
08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
An update on the order is that I do have enough people, the only thing is now where would everyone like to meet. Three of us are down south calgary. Also from what I have priced out the ups shipping will bring it to my door for around 35$ for shipping. I am asking about the method and arrival time for shipping to take place. Please let me know if your still in. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Please be advised that the UPS overnight shipping voids the live arrival guarantee. If you are concerned about this let me know.

Beano1169
09-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Hey all I have some bad news! I have recently had a financial set back and wont be able to do the order within the time i thought. So It will be postponed till a later date hope this doesnt ruin any ones day :(