PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comments/suggestions on my new tank pls!

LostMind
04-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Ok, I have mentioned a few times I have ordered a larger tank for my basement rec room.

It's going to be an inwall tank, with its own room for equipment and such (noise bugs me, so I want the equip tucked away from the viewing area... currently the tank is in my living room and way too loud). Unfortunately, I can't get proper plumbing to the equipment room tho. So I have to hack some stuff up a bit...

Tank size is 7' long, 3' deep, 2' tall.
Two overflows - one in each corner. Each should be capable of 1000gph each.
(eurobracing, black silicone, ground n polished blah blah if anyone cares)

Current plans for lighting are to run four 14k, 400w SA bulbs in reflectors. I think I wont need actinic supplementation with this setup - any comments? Should I look into other lighting setups?

For flow, I am planning on the following:

Return pump - ampmaster 2100
Closed loop - ampmaster 3000
Powerheads - 2 x Tunze Turbelle 6110

I figure that should give me roughly 30X turnover. I think that should be adequate for my sps dominated tank. I am finding it tough to get more flow without cramming the tank full of powerheads (the tunze's are amazing tho, I have one running in my 120 now.. wow!)

For my skimmer I am a bit uncertain. I have been talking to the guys at Mazzei corp, they recommended a few injectors to play with. I plan on placing an order with a company in chilliwack next week and getting a few injectors. Am leaning towards building a skimmer powered by a mak4 feeding two 1078 mazzei injectors.

Otherwise, I am thinking to just purchase a big ass bullet type skimmer from JL and just drop a thousand bucks or so (ouch).

I am contemplating building a calcium reactor based on DJ88's square design he posted a while back.

For the sump, I have a few ideas. I currently have an oceanic model3 sump that is modified to hold a bit more water then it was originally designed to. I COULD use this as my sump, but I feel it is a bit small for the purpose. I do have the 120, which I could always drill, but then I'd have to get glass and add baffles and such. I could purchase a bunch of acrylic and build my own sump, but I have very little experience in working with acrylic and I am not sure I am up to building a decent sized sump on my first run. Anyone got any ideas for me?

I am planning on migrating my RO/DI unit to the equipment room. Even tho the room has no plumbing, I am thinking to put a splitter on my hose and run it into the equipment room thru the window. I'll just have to run the return/waste line out to my drainpipe thru the window. With a couple floatswitches in my buckets I should be okay. If I have a disaster... Guess I will move it all back into the laundry room and lug those buckets around... :redface:

I plan on only having 1-2" of sand in the tank. Approx 200-225lbs of LR in the tank. Probably another 75-100lbs in the sump. I am hoping to have a lot of empty space as I want a fair amount of fish in the system... so I want some decent swimming room. A couple tangs or maybe a small school of anthias? Not decided yet. As for corals, my 120 is pretty packed with frags right now (thanks mostly to Wendell and Jack) and I am thinking to just migrate those to the new tank and leave things as is so they can grow out nicely... unless I see some real beauties.. ;)

I am pretty tired right now, so I probably missed something along the way. Any feedback would be welcomed! Especially if I am missing something glaringly obvious... hhmmm, like a top off setup. doh!

Skimmerking
04-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I would go with a bigger overflows holes for the bulkheads, I Have had a 1" on my 280 anf it gurgled, so i think you would be better with 2" holes of 1.75" just so that you can carry the flow better.

HTH

Mike

LostMind
04-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Thanks Mike.

the return drains will be 2", the closed loop will be slightly smaller

Jack
04-15-2004, 02:55 AM
Always fun building new systems. :mrgreen:

Well, lighting. The 14k rating is a bluer and less intense than you might be use too. Have you seen them in person? I've got 250w 14k if you want to swing by and see them. I actually run them with Iwasaki 65k and like the combo.

Flow, Tunze's are great. Sounds like you have it planned out pretty good. If you are going with dual 2" drains then you might even want the Ampmaster 3000 for fun.

Calcium, alk, and trace minerals. A large reactor will be a must. Having a kalk reactor inline with your top-off will definatly help out with the demand.

Skimming. Well you know I like the big Bullet skimmers but I am bias since I haven't run mazzi or even seen one in action. They are quite easy to build and can save you tonnes of money if you have the time, tools, and materials to DIY.

Sump. Are you having a tank room behind this sucker?

Lots to thinkg about eh!

LostMind
04-15-2004, 03:00 AM
Yah, this is being built into a bedroom in the basement :)

Turning the suite downstairs into a rec room with a 7' tank in the 8' wall of the bedroom. So the tank will be veiwable from the rec room and have all the equip hiding in the bedroom. So I am not so concerned about noise and such.

I cant find becketts, its the only reason I thinking of the mazzei.

I have never seen the 14k bulbs :( I currently run 10k's with actinics. Only reason I am considering 14k is because I cant figure out how to evenly light a 7' long tank with actinics!

for the sump, I am thinking to order a couple sheets of acrylic and go nuts... but we will see...

The reason I didnt go with the ampmaster 3000 for the return is because the overflow itself needs to be so huge to accomadate the gph rating.

EmilyB
04-15-2004, 04:39 AM
I run radiums and I find that having the individual bulbs go out and come on at different times compensates for the startle and wind down effect for the fish.

You can still never replace the look of actinic on your corals at night tho.

LostMind
04-15-2004, 05:16 AM
Any suggestions for lighting a 7' x 3' tank?

IslandReefer
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
I cant find becketts, its the only reason I thinking of the mazzei.

The reason I didnt go with the ampmaster 3000 for the return is because the overflow itself needs to be so huge to accomadate the gph rating.

Greetings LostMind:...(.haven't we all! :cool: )

Someone a short while ago, on this board, stated that "becketts" can be purchased at Canadian Tire under the name....like: foaming noosle for about $15. Having a similar but slightly smaller system (195g+90g+30 sump), I decided to go with the DIY beckett, the mazi ventura is supposed to be similar,but more energy efficient....let me know please. Both Gujustud and The Canadianman are building and/or have some experience with the mazi (1inch I think).

I am also using a AMP3000 for main circ. To lower the flow in the O/F I am going to try a 1.5in C.C. that tees into the AMP just before the pump, therefore missing both sump and O/F. The O/F itself is planned to be 2in outflow@ apx 1200gph.
Hope this helps
Regards

ree-fready
04-16-2004, 08:12 PM
For lighting why not go with 72" vho`s for your actinic and 3 400 10k quality bulbs. For a 3 ft. wide tank the 14k sa bulbs will not do the job. I`ve got a 250 and a 400 14k and am going to be pulling them out. Way too blue and no intensity.

LostMind
04-16-2004, 08:45 PM
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8955

You are correct. Looks like the 10k are the only way to go. They had a good par rating.

The reason I am thinking 4 MH's is because the tank is so wide. A lot of people get away with 2 MH's on a 6' tank...

But... a bunch of 72" VHO may be a pretty good idea. I could stagger them a bit to provide more lighting coverage. Hmmm, thanks :)