PDA

View Full Version : let down

darrin41
08-21-2012, 06:44 AM
so i went for a weeks vacation out to bc and had a family friend to look after everything , gave him a list of stuff to look after tank , what to look for how to top water off . in the sump and what to use also how to empty skimmer cup and how to adjust and where to keep level at ,,, every day i would ask him how things are , he would reply things are good water level is ok ... so i get home tonight and my frikin tank is dead , whole house stinks like dead fish and things were rotten when i cleaned it out , i saw some of my fish that were decayed... he told me the night before the skimmer cup overflowed and shorted out the power bar ,,, but how do fish go rotten over night ,.,, why didnt he call or get a new power bar i check all equipment and it works . all he would have had to do was plug it all in and if scared of protein skimmer leave it unplugged for a couple days till i get home, so if you see me posting on tanks forsale ,,, im not trying to post on everyones posts im just trying to find a new complete setup ,,, i want a nicer tank and better setup , so if anyone has ideas also it would be greatly appreciated

monocus
08-21-2012, 07:45 AM
sounds like the family friend went on vacation at the same time

fishoholic
08-21-2012, 01:12 PM
:sad: That sucks, sorry to hear

The Grizz
08-21-2012, 03:25 PM
That true is a **** off!! what size of a tank are you looking for?

pinkreef
08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
thats everyones nightmare i think to come home and find your tank like that
sorry that happened to you:cry:

Coleus
08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I always feel nervous to take a peek at my fish tank after a long vacation. Things always go wrong when you are away in this hobby. Sorry to hear your loss. Anyway, I just went away for 2 weeks and while i was away, one of the wall plug died (not sure why, but just no power) so I got an alarm from my apex controller. So my brother was able to help me out after i called him to check things out for me. I think i rather have a controller and able to call someone with knowledge to help rather ask some one to baby sit the tank daily with no real knowledge.

Maybe you should think of controller in your new setup. sorry to hear your loss and looking forward to your new setup.

Enigma
08-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Maybe you should think of controller in your new setup. sorry to hear your loss and looking forward to your new setup.

I've added an IP cam to my setup, too. Between that and my Apex (and a whack of probes, switches, and email alarms) I can get a very good idea of what is going on with the system while I'm away. I came home to no surprises (though that doesn't mean everything went perfectly . . . I could see a patch of cyano start and get quite large on the cam) after our recent vacation.

I'm very sorry for your losses, Darrin. It sounds as if the person you entrusted just didn't give a s**t, or was too worried about any extra work that would be requested of him to actually tell you the truth.

I had my bestie stop by twice while we were gone to feed the tank mysis. She gave me the low down on everything: what ate, what didn't, what colours things were, if anything was closed up, what water levels were like . . . . She even spent 15 minutes working to identify a "funny smell" (turned out to be a bad potato under the sofa . . . which is more than a little odd).

Snaz
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
She even spent 15 minutes working to identify a "funny smell" (turned out to be a bad potato under the sofa . . . which is more than a little odd).

I don't now why this made me smile, kids?

Sorry for your losses Darrin

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-21-2012, 08:19 PM
That totally sucks Darrin. Sounds like NOT such a good friend. And no, fish will not rot like that overnight.