PDA

View Full Version : Filter or no filter?

reefcat
08-21-2012, 12:50 AM
I have a canister filter fluval 205 for my 35g. Every time I go to clean it it leaks when I start it up again. Usually after retrying it a few times it stops leaking. I only clean the filter once a month. But now it wont stop leaking and im thinking of just ditching it, I have around 40 pounds of live rock, a protein skimmer and powerheads, so should i ditch it?

Nano
08-21-2012, 12:57 AM
I have a canister filter fluval 205 for my 35g. Every time I go to clean it it leaks when I start it up again. Usually after retrying it a few times it stops leaking. I only clean the filter once a month. But now it wont stop leaking and im thinking of just ditching it, I have around 40 pounds of live rock, a protein skimmer and powerheads, so should i ditch it?

just toss an aquaclear on there :) great filters easy to maintain, you could easily fit a heater in it (i did in mine)

FitoPharmer
08-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Just remember to replace the flow it makes since you want at least 20 times turnover in your display tank or more. Cansiter or any mechanical filtration needs constant maintenance in saltwater setups, unless you run them with only LR rubble. I would suggest ditching it as well. I had a fluval canister for a while, I did not mind it because I just filled it with LR rubble and used it as a cryptic fuge /pod factory and never opened it afterwards since it would occasionally leak after cleaning.

marblesab
08-21-2012, 01:29 AM
just toss an aquaclear on there :) great filters easy to maintain, you could easily fit a heater in it (i did in mine)

+1!

bignose
08-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Your tank might not need the filter can you give some more info your setup.

Aquattro
08-21-2012, 05:17 AM
A 35g with 40 pounds of rock and a skimmer is fine without any mechanical filter. just toss it. Maybe add a power head to replace flow, if needed.

spit.fire
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
I run a. Ac70 on my 20g frag tank, low maintenance, never leaks and adds lots of flow to the tank, between that and my skimmer I get away with no powerheads