PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp vs Pods

Coasting
08-20-2012, 04:20 AM
So I have been thinking of adding a few shrimp to the tank, not sure what kind yet, but I wonder, how well would they survive being scavengers?
I have a lot of pods... A LOT. I have no brittle stars any more the pods have out competed them, I think I'm down to 1 or 2 bristle worms, if any... The pods are everywhere, like a giant colony of ants. I know I should control my feedings better, but I dont want them getting hungry and snacking on the coral/zoas, plus its more for feeding the coral. I would love to add some type of dragonet, but I dont think I'm brave enough to add one.

Would the insane ammounts of pods out compete the shrimp?

Northernseacorals
08-20-2012, 04:23 AM
I do not go out of my way to feed the cleaner shrimp in my tank; and frequently they seek out and hunt the pods, it's fun to watch them do it.

Coasting
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of smaller shrimp like pepermints or sexys. Though a cleaner would be nice to add too. Hey if they eat the pods while their at it, I'm all for it. But again I worry about the size of say the pepermints, because some of those pods are pretty close in size.
... As you see 10 try and kill each other over 1 chunk of a pellet...

Aquattro
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Your pods are the size of peppermints??? I think you need a new ID on those "pods" :)

reefwars
08-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Your pods are the size of peppermints??? I think you need a new ID on those "pods" :)

Yah not too likely :pppp

Coasting
08-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I see shrimp as being delicate since I've never had them before, and with pods that are exceeding 1cm in size not extended, that are bulldozing their way past everything and stealing food from the larger nassarius snails... I would sure as hell compare them in size to the smaller species of shrimp. I didn't say full grown sexys or pepermints however... But still these things are nuts. Besides anything I've seen at JL shrimp wise has been tiny, so what else do I have to compare to.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/1August14-15-026.jpg

Aquattro
08-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Well, while not really as big as shrimp, those are good sized bugs!! But I'd think any adult shrimp would be fine getting enough food.

dc4
08-21-2012, 04:04 PM
You could bottle those amphipods and sell them as food. :) Hell, I'd give you a frag for a bottle of them just for a treat for my fish. Lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Coasting
08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Who needs a fuge when your pods are tough enough to steal food from everything else...
I know most are 1 - 1.25cm with LOTS of little ones (now that I found my ruler)... then there are a handful of larger ones.... When you see the smaller ones wrestle a pellet right from my snails. Yikes. Their pretty good about not stealing it from the Acans, but the snails do then the pods steal from the snails, circle of life.
Just watched 3 mid sized ones steal food from the 6" bristle worm thats been living in my 1 rock for months (Thought he was dead, hadn't seen him in awhile).

I will take your word for it, I hope the shrimp can hold their own! Have always wanted a skunk cleaner and some little shrimp.... Anyone have any agressive shrimp they dont want?

How about a catch your own pod day? Just bring a line and hook. Maybe I should start selling them off.... hmmm...

Enigma
08-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I've got some of those monster pods, too. I'm hoping my Bangaii Cardinal will eat them. They make me nervous.

Nano
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Those are amphipods from the looks of it, and a lot too. IME they are zoa munchers lol. They are harmless other then that. Do you feed lots to your tank?

Finisher604
08-22-2012, 02:00 AM
I've got lots of these guys in my 125

Jaws
08-22-2012, 03:14 AM
My Copperband loves those! Wish there was a way to harvest then.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

mike31154
08-22-2012, 03:39 AM
What size is your tank? Go get a shrimp.... or two, whatever kind you like, & a Dragonet. Things will balance out.

Coasting
08-22-2012, 04:48 AM
They dont touch my zoas, yet. I keep them well fed! But I'm going to sell my 1 zoa rock so they dont get the opportunity but I'm to lazy to post and ad for it.
Its those stupid little white starfish things, Those ones are problems, I caught one on my red zoas today munching on a polyp.
I know I feed too much, but I'm lazy and I want to make sure all the evil pods, the clowns, the acans, and the snails all get enough food. It all works out. The pods havn't caused any damage yet other then making all my brittle stars dissapear...

I should make some kind of light diffuser tower with some type of macro algae in the middle, start harvesting pods for people.