PDA

View Full Version : Help Id this?

iceman86
08-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Hey, my corals havent been looking to great within the last couple days. I did a water change yesterday hoping it might help but i didnt. i just found this weird looking thing on one of my corals. Can anybody id this?
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc20/gilmr2/weirdthing.jpg

i also think im starting to get cyano but not 100%

thanks!

reefwars
08-16-2012, 10:08 PM
looks to be a small head of aiptasia, it stings the polyps keeping them from opening, a shot of lemon juice in a syring injected through the head and into the stalk will kill it off:) peppermint shrim will keep them in check for you as well:)

HaZRaTTy
08-16-2012, 10:17 PM
+1 ^^^

100% foresure ID!

iceman86
08-16-2012, 10:28 PM
great! thanks a lot guys. Im a bit releaved now :biggrin:

iceman86
08-17-2012, 03:15 AM
hey guys i just did a little research and i don't think we are looking at the same thing on the picture. I think the aiptasia you guys are referring to is right in the center on top of the coral.
I'm referring to the bottom of the coral in the center. Its hard to see because it looks like its the rock but its this white foamy almost spongy like thing starting to cover the corals.

Nano
08-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Well there's definitely an aiptasia, and the other thing looks spongey LOL. If worse comes to worse and you cant save them send me a pm and I'll give you some more radioactive dragon eyes, I have a few little colonies kicking around taking up relestate for other corals. No charge :)

acepumping
08-17-2012, 04:55 AM
for aptasia, lol i used coral glue and plugged its little home or hole it was coming out of.. weird way to get rid of it but thats what i did lol

iceman86
08-17-2012, 02:45 PM
for aptasia, lol i used coral glue and plugged its little home or hole it was coming out of.. weird way to get rid of it but thats what i did lol

Can't you just cut it off?

Seriak
08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
The bottom spongey thing looks to be a sponge. Quite harmless.

Also never cut off an Aiptasia. They spread that way. It's like taking a dandilion and blowing all those little seeds everywhere and now your garden is a weed field.

ChrisKrillz
08-17-2012, 05:14 PM
That looks like the exact same frag that I just purchased lol.
I had aiptasia forming on the rocks around it and the zoanthids were retracting/not coming out.
I was going to get peppermint shrimp but realized it's kind of hit or miss whether or not they will find and eat the aiptasia. Therefore, I spoke to the people at my LFS and got hooked up with some Aiptasia-X (http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Aiptasia_X_2oz_(60mL)_Liquid_Pest_Control_ Eliminators-Red_Sea-RS7911-FIADAFLC-vi.html) and it seems to be working. I just treated it yesterday so I will let you know if the aiptasia comes back. Apparently Aiptasia-X is good because it wont harm your tank where as many other alternatives can shock your tank easily.

iceman86
08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
That looks like the exact same frag that I just purchased lol.
I had aiptasia forming on the rocks around it and the zoanthids were retracting/not coming out.
I was going to get peppermint shrimp but realized it's kind of hit or miss whether or not they will find and eat the aiptasia. Therefore, I spoke to the people at my LFS and got hooked up with some Aiptasia-X (http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Aiptasia_X_2oz_(60mL)_Liquid_Pest_Control_ Eliminators-Red_Sea-RS7911-FIADAFLC-vi.html) and it seems to be working. I just treated it yesterday so I will let you know if the aiptasia comes back. Apparently Aiptasia-X is good because it wont harm your tank where as many other alternatives can shock your tank easily.

Awesome. Plz let me know cuz I noticed another head of aiptasia on my Darth mauls.
Thanks!