PDA

View Full Version : What is this stuff?

Coasting
08-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Its really annoying my GSP, is it some type of sponge or algae?
It makes it hard for the polyps to come through it. Can I just pick it off or is there a better way to get rid of it. It is only on this Piece of gsp thats in my sand, so I'm assuming it came in with it, its slowly grown over the past 3-4 months to this size. Now its just really bugging me because I want the gsp to spread, not this stuff :biggrin:

Thanks.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/1August14-15-014.jpg

gregzz4
08-16-2012, 08:48 PM
It kinda looks like an algae
I can't quite make it out in your pic
If it has bubbles, don't burst them when you pick it out or it will spread spores

Coralgurl
08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
If you pick at it, is it fairly course or tough? Look up red turf algae.

Coasting
08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I dont know if this picture is any better, me and the bow front are still working out our picture issues....
Will pull it out next time i do a wc and poke at it in the old water bucket.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/1August14-15-027.jpg

gregzz4
08-16-2012, 08:58 PM
When you have it in the bucket, pick it off at the base with some tweezers, then shake it really well before putting it back in the DT

tang daddy
08-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Its red bubble algae, you could try removing as much as you can with tweezers try to trim it to the root, then when the polyps are all closed up give it a dip in hydrogen peroxide mixed with salt water. I would do a 2/3 peroxide to saltwater ratio and leave in for 2-3 mins, the GSP is pretty tough and aslong as the polyps are all closed and not showing the skin of the GSP will be able to withstand the dip. After this you may want to use a tooth brush and some of that same water to scrub gently the infected area so as to make sure it hits the algae even more, good luck.

Alternatively you can use scissors and cut off the infected part, GSP will grow back no problem...

jagermaier
08-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Looks more like a red macro algae similar to Halymenia, doesn't really look like bubble algae to me.

toytech
08-16-2012, 11:47 PM
peroxide and water will take care of it whaterver it is , i dosent look like the red bubble i have . I peroxide bath my zoas when red bubble pops up and it turns bright orange and dissapears in no time.

RuGlu6
08-17-2012, 12:09 AM
I have that in one of my tanks. It is slimy red bubbly algae (Unlike Green bubble) . It does not grow too fast or overpopulate, easy to remove. If you kill your GSP i can give you a small free frag any time i have tons of GSP.

Coasting
08-18-2012, 02:33 PM
No it really doesn't seem to be a fast grower, its been months, and is only on the gsp. Will have to try the peroxide. ... Whatever it is.

Thanks guys.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Leave it. It's not an invasive algae. More decorative than anything. People actually pay for this type of algae.:wink:

But if you want to toss it, I'll stick it in my RSM Bangaii breeding tank.

Anthony

Mandosh
08-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Botryocladia sp.

Coasting
08-19-2012, 12:18 AM
I figure it wasn't anything too bad since its not bugging anything, its just so thick in certain spots the GSP cant come poke its little polys through. I just really like my gsp lol.

Maybe I'll just pluck it off and move it if its a good guy. Unless you want to trade a baby bangai Anthony ;) Think I might have to grow it out a few years before its every worth that I bet.