PDA

View Full Version : Blue spot and yasha goby

Edmonton Eskimo
08-16-2012, 04:14 AM
So I bought a beautiful healthy blue spot jawfish from blue world the other day and put him in my tank that already has a yasha goby pistol shrimp pair, I knew there was a possibility of a problem so I watched closely and introduced the bluespot on the opposite side of the tank in hopes the bluespot would dart into the rocks and start his burrow there. Of course he darted to the other side right into the yashas burrow, &$@?! First surprise I got is the bluespot seems to be using the live rock as his burrow, he has dug out the sand underneath it but I see him poking out of various holes in the rock. Second surprise, after not seeing the yasha for a couple days I assumed he was evicted by the larger fish and was pouting and making a new burrow. Well I see him today poke his head right out of his normal burrow with his little buddy in tow. They seem to be sharing the burrow, I thought that was very strange but I could be wrong.

wickedfrags
08-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Bet they make for an interesting aquarium - that being said, while the blue spot is a great fish, unless you run your tank colder than a typical reef it will likely share a similar fate as those in most other tanks.........as they come from colder waters they are very susceptible to skin infections which often prove fatal. A fish best left in the ocean IME, not unlike some anthias species. Good luck with him! cheers.

So I bought a beautiful healthy blue spot jawfish from blue world the other day and put him in my tank that already has a yasha goby pistol shrimp pair, I knew there was a possibility of a problem so I watched closely and introduced the bluespot on the opposite side of the tank in hopes the bluespot would dart into the rocks and start his burrow there. Of course he darted to the other side right into the yashas burrow, &$@?! First surprise I got is the bluespot seems to be using the live rock as his burrow, he has dug out the sand underneath it but I see him poking out of various holes in the rock. Second surprise, after not seeing the yasha for a couple days I assumed he was evicted by the larger fish and was pouting and making a new burrow. Well I see him today poke his head right out of his normal burrow with his little buddy in tow. They seem to be sharing the burrow, I thought that was very strange but I could be wrong.

fishoholic
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Bet they make for an interesting aquarium - that being said, while the blue spot is a great fish, unless you run your tank colder than a typical reef it will likely share a similar fate as those in most other tanks.........as they come from colder waters they are very susceptible to skin infections which often prove fatal. A fish best left in the ocean IME, not unlike some anthias species. Good luck with him! cheers.

+1 This is something I just recently learned about blue spot jawfish, so wish I had of known before I bought the one I had. The one I had was eating great and did very well for a month, then over the next 2 months I had him he went slowly downhill. For the life of me I couldn't understand why until I found out they like temps around 70-72 and unless you can keep the tank colder then they will usually die :sad: Mine started getting faded colouring then blotchy patches over his skin then he started getting skinny then stopped eating all together and died, I definitely suspect he succumbed to a skin infection due to high temps. The first month I had him the tank stayed around 76 but when it started getting hotter and my house heated up and the tank hit 80-81 my BSJ went downhill after that.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Learn something new every day. Hmmmm. That explains a lot. Thanks.

wickedfrags
08-16-2012, 06:32 PM
really a shame, great fish and they always eat...

Learn something new every day. Hmmmm. That explains a lot. Thanks.

Oilers
08-17-2012, 12:58 AM
+1 This is something I just recently learned about blue spot jawfish, so wish I had of known before I bought the one I had. The one I had was eating great and did very well for a month, then over the next 2 months I had him he went slowly downhill. For the life of me I couldn't understand why until I found out they like temps around 70-72 and unless you can keep the tank colder then they will usually die :sad: Mine started getting faded colouring then blotchy patches over his skin then he started getting skinny then stopped eating all together and died, I definitely suspect he succumbed to a skin infection due to high temps. The first month I had him the tank stayed around 76 but when it started getting hotter and my house heated up and the tank hit 80-81 my BSJ went downhill after that.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have recently bought a bluespot jawfish as well. He's doing really well in my tank and it's been about two months now. My tank temp. is around 80 deg. Should I lower it down to 70-72 deg. which is where he likes it to be? How would that affect the other inhabitants in the tank? I only have a mandarin, a couple cleaner shrimps, a sandsifter starfish and a Mexican turbo snails in the tank right now.

Edmonton Eskimo
08-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Ya I read that as well after I purchased it of course. I am slowly lowering the temp in the tank, how low is too low in a reef tank? If I can't get it low enough maybe a separate tank for him might be in order.