PDA

View Full Version : Green Hair Algae - Will not go away!

Pinchy
08-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey there,

I need your help.... It has been a few months since i have posted on here as i have been frusterated battling a GHA outbreak after taking down my sump / refugium on my 75 Gallon Reef after a mini flood scare. Since removing my sump i have added a Fluval FX5 with live rock, bio pellets and carbon. I also have an Aqua C Remora Pro HOB skimmer. I am also currently up to dosing 3.5ml of vodka every day. My lighting consists of two LED EShine Cree Pro's (6 months old) and circulation consists of a Vortech MP40. I have been testing my N's and P's and they read as follows:

N: >10
P: Undetectable

My sps polyps are out, and everything seems to be doing fine, but the GHA is growing out of control.

My lights are on for 7 hours a day with one hour on each side of just the blue acintics running, for a total of 9 hours.

I have added a sea hare (it died) i have added turbo snails (they died) but my starfish and other invertabrates seem to be doing fine.

I also have a diamond goby keeping the sand bed nice and stirred up

I have tried everything from scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush to ripping it off with my fingers and it still wont go away. I currently do two water changes a week and the results are futile.

Please tell me what i am missing!?:cry:

reefwars
08-15-2012, 07:31 PM
if your scrubbing the rocks in the tank thats a bad idea , try pulling out as much as you can manually then target drop turbo snails on there when they leave the patch pick them up and drop it on them again. boiling water helps too.

sea hares work they are just fragile and need to be accimated very very slowly but one should clean your tank out in no time, any ideas why he died??

how long have you been v/ dosing???

oyf709
08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Do you have any direct sunlight can reach the tank at all? That could promo hair algea growth.

I used to have the similar problem until some guy told me to move all coral to a QT tank and keep the main tank running without any light for 3 months, I end up solved the issue that way. However, you will have a big enough QT tank and also have te time to keep up the water quality in the QT tank.