PDA

View Full Version : Reef custodians

Dearth
08-14-2012, 05:38 PM
My 30 gallon has been up and running for a week now cycling with live rock that has been cured at what point in time do you introduce custodians into the tank ?

Thank you

mrhasan
08-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Technically, I think cuc are not required in a new tank since there won't be anything for them to eat. I don't know why many people suggest cuc to be the 1st addition to any new tank but I personally don't see the point of adding them to a tank which hardly have any algae. I only added my first two snails when my whole live rock got covered in diatoms.

Dearth
08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
From what I have read lots of people say they help in maturing the tank is this not true?

mrhasan
08-14-2012, 06:05 PM
But they would need food too :P
I matured my tank with a clownfish :lol:

oyf709
08-15-2012, 08:44 PM
But they would need food too :P
I matured my tank with a clownfish :lol:

I wouldn't use any live stock to cycle a tank but demsel fish are much hardier than any custodian. If you want, you can even cycle your tank with a dead silverline in your tank for maybe few days, then take it out for a water change to remove the smell. It is really not what you have in the tank that help cycling the tank. It is the waste they provided became the food of those bacteria.

ElGuappo
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
i just ghost feed some mysis. thats usually enough to kick a cycle into high gear.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk

mrhasan
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't use any live stock to cycle a tank but demsel fish are much hardier than any custodian. If you want, you can even cycle your tank with a dead silverline in your tank for maybe few days, then take it out for a water change to remove the smell. It is really not what you have in the tank that help cycling the tank. It is the waste they provided became the food of those bacteria.

+1

Bioload is the key to start the cycle.