PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner wrasse extend life of other fish?

foxfishfan
08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
I have had my 2nd copperband butterfly alive and healthy for 9 months, which is 6 months longer than the 1st. I notice the wrasse cleans the other the tangs and copperband when he isn't cleaning the porcupine puffer which is half of day. Cleaner shrimp were good but usually ended up as dinner and were in the tank when my 1st copperband died after only 3 months. I know how fragile these guys are and am amazed this guy is healthy and somewhat fat after 9 months. Based on my experience, cleaner wrasses are almost a must in a tank with predominately fish and are well worth the few dollars they cost.

Proteus
08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
So imagine what happens when the reef populations decline from collecting

Ryan-b
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
So imagine what happens when the reef populations decline from collecting

So imagine what happens when the cleaner wrasses have nothing to clean from collecting...

mandyplo
08-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Don't be so quick to judge.

Until I saw the article posted on canreef about the studies on cleaner wrasse in our oceans, I had no idea about what impact they had on reef ecosystems in the wild from removing cleaner wrasse from those areas.

After reading that article I will never purchase a cleaner wrasse myself, but if I had never seen that article; I am a huge wrasse fan and would have probably collected one at one point or another.

I'm just saying, do you want to make people feel the way you did when you posted anything on aquariumpros.ca? I know people were always quick to jump to conclusions and make me feel pretty unwanted over there.

Here is the article I'm talking about, its a good read for any fish collector:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87967&highlight=cleaner+wrasse

daniella3d
08-15-2012, 01:14 AM
no way. I have my copperband for 2 years now (my first copperband so far) and I just only got a cleaner wrasse 3 months ago. It anoy the heck out of the copperband and he keep chasing it away. I am thinking of selling the wrasse because my copperband can't stand it and does not want to have anything to do with the wrasse.

My copperband has been healthy and fat and the last thing he needs is a cleaner wrasse. Why? because he does not have any parasite.

The important thing to keep a copperband healthy is giving it a rich diet and having it free of parasites and harrasment from aggressive fish.

I have had my 2nd copperband butterfly alive and healthy for 9 months, which is 6 months longer than the 1st. I notice the wrasse cleans the other the tangs and copperband when he isn't cleaning the porcupine puffer which is half of day. Cleaner shrimp were good but usually ended up as dinner and were in the tank when my 1st copperband died after only 3 months. I know how fragile these guys are and am amazed this guy is healthy and somewhat fat after 9 months. Based on my experience, cleaner wrasses are almost a must in a tank with predominately fish and are well worth the few dollars they cost.