PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor help

daplatapus
08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, since I've bought this 210 gal I'm thinking I'll need to go to a calcium reactor instead of dosing. But I know nothing about them. I hear some people complain about them plugging up, I hear some people say set them and forget them.
What is your experience? Am I thinking right that this is a more economical route?
If/when I'm ready to purchase, what features should I be looking for, in regulator, tank, media etc?
Just how hard are these to set and maintain?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Dez
08-13-2012, 03:56 PM
My experience is set and forget. I use a regulator that is 10 years old, I found that once I had a ph controller controlling it, I never worried about it. I've never done dosing, so I have no comparison. My friend friend dosing an switched to a ca reactor.

Bblinks
08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
I have the same feeling towards a calcium reactor, set it and forget it. I have done dosing on my 210 and it was a pain in the butt. I use a vertex rx6 duo for my 300 gallon with a ph controller(very useful and a must have, it will alleviate a lot of guessing work) in a heavily stocked sps tank. I said go for it.

daplatapus
08-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Any specific unit recommendations?

sphelps
08-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Years back I switched from a Ca reactor to dosing for all the advantages relating to independent and better control of what is added and when. I later concluded that for me these advantages are actually disadvantages. I switched back to a Ca reactor, with a PH controller it's set and forget for me. I adjust output to a slow drip and set the internal pH to maintain alk levels in the tank. You can increase flow rate as well to boost the output as you can only set the pH so low but IMO if you end up needing to do that the reactor is probably under sized. For some extra Ca and Alk you can add a Kalk reactor inline with the ATO which tends to work nicely with a Ca reactor as it will boost your pH.

In terms of clogging, I don't ever seem to have any issues.

apexifd
08-13-2012, 04:38 PM
it's set and forget with ph controller. Every 6 month when you refill the media, calibrate the probe at the same time, and that's about it.

For the initial dial in, it's very easy when you have a ph controller. You will just have to test few time at the begining to make sure the drip rate is able to keep up with amount consuming by corals.

It is alot cheaper to run a Ca reactor in the long run in the big system.

Bblinks
08-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I am happy with my rx6duo, I know apexifd is selling his rx4. Calcium reactors are very basic in design, few key point you want to look for in a unit will be upflow design, ph probe, easy access for refilling the media. Those are the 3 main reasons that brought me to the vertex line. I love how the line fittings are all john guesst and the top is a screw off design instead of thumb screw which can be rather annoying. I do use a feed pump to eliminate clogging, it does raise the back pressure a bit but that why the vertex comes with silicone orings.

RuGlu6
08-28-2012, 02:23 AM
I've had this Calcium Reactor for a year now and just love it!

silent
Up flow
easy refil
Ph Probe port
pump Intake protected
large media volume
Very Very CO2 economical, 5lb last almost a year
drip window/chamber
Cheap

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74827
Cons
pump is 220V
long time delivery from China

whatcaneyedo
08-28-2012, 03:02 AM
I've got an old downflow Precision Marine and an Effluent chamber. Since its downflow I have to use course media in the main reactor to prevent frequent plugging but I am able to use fine in the Effluent chamber. Like the others I've got a pH probe installed in the top allowing me to control it easily with my Apex. I've been doing it this way since 2006 with no regrets. A 20lbs cylinder of CO2 lasts me about two years, I top off the reactors and calibrate the probes every 4 months or so and give the whole thing a good cleaning about once a year. Occasionally I have to turn up the flow but I haven't added calcium chloride in about 2 years or baking soda in nearly a year.

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/