PDA

View Full Version : Fu Manchu

Littlefishy
08-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Anyone had a Fu Manchu Lionfish? I am researching getting on for a FOWLR I am considering starting up (26g bow and plumbing it into an existing 75g system). Any advice when it comes to compatibility? If things go ahead, does anyone know a good place to get one in Calgary? Thanks!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Get one that is eating in the LFS.

whatcaneyedo
08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Get one that is eating in the LFS.

+1 If its already eating they are a piece of cake to keep. Do not keep them with anything small enough to be eaten. Short slender bodied fish under 3" like wrasse and blennies would become a quick meal. I've had mine since 2008, it doesn't swim around but its out and about hiding in plain sight 90% of the time.

Littlefishy
08-13-2012, 02:05 PM
What about with a Flame Angel and Valentino puffer? Those are some fish I have always been interested in owning.

sphelps
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Mine always did fine with other fish and was very docile (I've had two before) but I remember someone having an aggressive one although I don't believe that to be the norm.

I've been looking for a fumanchu since I set back up in Calgary, but haven't seen one yet.

fishoholic
08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
In my 80g my fumanchu is sometimes aggressive towards my red fuzzy dwarf lionfish and when he was in a small 20g tank he was very aggressive towards any other fish. However now he seems fine with most other fish. Definitely find one that is eating frozen food and is eating well before you buy it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Valentino puffers might be a risk. Some types of puffers like to chew on the long tempting fins of lionfish.

tang daddy
08-17-2012, 10:03 PM
good luck finding one that eats, Ive been looking for over a year and saw lots of fumanchu but none that ate frozen...some werent even interested in live....

Enigma
08-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I spoke to Kelly @ Piscies about a Fu Manchu a week ago. He indicated that they can be pretty hit and miss, but that he's had pretty good luck getting in ones that eat frozen. He also indicated that he can request ones that eat frozen directly from the supplier. They were supposed to be getting a couple in this last Thursday.

tang daddy
08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
That's awesome, too bad JL couldn't order any Fu that were frozen trained... They would sell em like egg tarts. Gonna ask JL if they can acquire frozen trained Fu in, thanks for the tip!