PDA

View Full Version : Tang with ich

warriorcookie
08-12-2012, 01:51 AM
So, I've been working 80+ hrs a week for the last month, and as a result my tank has been neglected... I've been feeding and emptying the skimmer, but that's about all I have time for. The GFO and carbon haven't been changed, and no water changes have been done. But my LifeGuard UV is running.

The first day I've had off at home in a while, getting ready to do a water change and give the tank some much needed love, I notice my Blond Nasso Tang (3") is hanging out just above the sand with white specks on him... His breathing is a little laboured.

I have a ten gallon ready to go for quarantine. I could get a 29 gal going within a day, but I don't really have a filter big enough. I've read about ich, but never dealt with it before.

So, I'm thinking get the 29gal going with some PVC for him to hide. All I have is a bubble filter with floss seeding in my DT. Will that be ok for 1 tang? I'll put a power head in. For treatment is hypo-salinity my best bet? I'm not crazy about copper. I have a Coralife turbo-twist UV I could put on the QT.

Any other suggestions? Is there a better plan of attack?

lpsreefer
08-12-2012, 02:33 AM
I would just clean your filters get them all good. Do a water change and feed them a lot of nori.
You might stress him out by putting him in qt.
Fish can fight off ich as long as they are healthy and have a good environment.
At least that's my experience.

marie
08-12-2012, 02:44 AM
There is no point puling the tang out and treating him unless you treat all the fish at the same time and leave your display tank fishless for 8 weeks.

warriorcookie
08-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Sounds good.

Did a water change. Everyone else is looking great.

He's just been eating the algae in my tank (of which there is alot.) I have nori, but haven't feed it to him until today. I put some near him, but he showed no interest in it. I don't know if it's because he doesn't know what it is, or because of the ick.

lpsreefer
08-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Some tangs are picky on the color of the nori.
But also if they aren't used to it give him time.

warriorcookie
08-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Some tangs are picky on the color of the nori.
But also if they aren't used to it give him time.

Good to know. I'll be patient. He was having a hard time staying upright before the lights went off... He also was not going to let the cleaner shrimp anywhere near him.

Any relation to Kevin Joly from your area?

lpsreefer
08-12-2012, 06:20 AM
My younger brother.

reefwars
08-12-2012, 07:01 AM
any chance hes been picked on or attacked , more work and less time at home means less feedings and interaction which can trigger aggression and that could stress the tang out if hes picked on or pushed around....although naso's arent usually a pushed around fish:P

daniella3d
08-12-2012, 01:57 PM
I would treat all the fish in hyposalinity in a large enough tank with good porous cured liverock and leave the main tank empty of fish for 70 days at least.

Once the ick is that it will remain there and your fish will be in and out of it. Eventualy they either win or lose the battle. Looks like the naso is going to lose that battle if he does not eat...not a good sign.

There is nothing more pleasant than having a parasite free tank. There is nothing more anoying than having a parasite infested tank.

Reef Puffer
08-12-2012, 04:14 PM
my tang wouldnt eat the nori in the clip. i wrapped it around a rock with an elastic and he was ALL OVER IT! also unless you are are going to deal with the whole tank and all the fish, i would just maybe pull him for a freshwater dip and put him back in. if hes happy he will fight it off.

warriorcookie
08-12-2012, 05:01 PM
My younger brother.

He's a pretty awesome dude.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll try nori on a rock and garlic. Fresh water dips are so hard on a fish I don't know if I'm into that.

warriorcookie
08-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, I went to try feeding him again this morning, and finally found him upside down in the sand behind a rock. Rough.

Most of the white spots where gone, but there was some black along his belly. I'll post a pic later.

Thanks for the help guys. Cant save them all...