PDA

View Full Version : Daplatapus's upgrade

Pages : [1] 2

daplatapus
08-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and bought Taionereefer's 210 gallon. So I went out to Van yesterday hoping to make the 12:45 ferry. FYI, don't think you can get on a ferry in the summer, on a Friday by getting there only an hour before it's supposed to sail.:(
Anyway, after being the 3rd to last vehicle to make it on the 3:10, we finally made it, met Taionereefer and family, loaded the tank up and ate a couple of their ice cream sandwiches. :D. Thanks again!
And what's a trip to the mainland without popping into J&L. Just bought a couple bulkheads and drooled over some Mp40's, but I thought I've pushed my wife's buttons enough this month so left with just the bulkheads in hand.
Missed the 7:30 ferry, Du'oh! But got on the 9:30 after a nice pizza and beer in horseshoe bay. Got home at 1:00 am, crashed, and got back up at 6:00 am to drive to Saltspring Island to help out a friend where I'm writing this. And guess where... waiting once again for the ferry because they're running 40min behind. Gotta love BC Ferries.
Anyway this will not be a quick switch over, but hopefully be fun. Pics to come :)

lockrookie
08-11-2012, 04:42 PM
following along congrats on the upgrade

Snaz
08-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Congrats on the new box of water. With all that coin you are dropping at BC Ferries no wonder you left without the MP40. :lol:

Leah
08-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Congrats on convincing her. One of the nicer tanks I have seen on here...so jealous. What a steal.... trust me when I say I am pouting. :wink:
Can't wait to see this come together for you.

daplatapus
08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Well, I was able to get some help and bring the tank into the basement where I'll work on it.
Preclean:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/P8132924.jpg

Post cleaning:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/P8132930.jpg

daplatapus
08-14-2012, 02:13 PM
The tank originally comes with the 2 internal overflows. The drains are 1" durso's and 3/4" returns. I want to go with the herbie design though.
On my existing system I was stuck with existing holes and am actually running a 1 1/4" full siphon but at the bulkhead it reduces down to 3/4". I had originally run the 3/4" all the way but it couldn't keep up to the flow demand. That's when I used bushings to increase it to 1 1/4" on both sides of the bulkhead and it ended up being a bit overkill. My gate valve is probably only about 25% open.
So on this tank I'm thinking of using the 3/4" holes for my siphon but increased to 1" on either side of the bulkhead and use the 1" holes for my safety drains increased to either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2".
I really don't like the over the rim returns on my existing tank so I'm thinking of drilling 3 or 4 - 3/4" returns in the back of the tank. I did this with my cube and really like the results - it looks nice and clean. I've been able to drill the MIP-Locline adapter and have no issues with back siphoning when the power goes out. But it is only a 20 gallon cube, not a whole lot of pressure. If I drill the 3/4" holes as high as I can get them (which is roughly 1/2" down from the black plastic rim on the top of the tank) I'll be about 2 1/2" down from the top of the glass to the edge of the hole. And I was originally thinking 4 holes, 1 on either side of both overflow boxes. But I suppose I could get away with only 2 holes on the right side of the left overflow and the left side of the right overflow. The factory returns come with a splitter on them so in essence there is 4 returns anyway. Anybody see any issues with drilling that many holes? Or should I just go with the 2?

daplatapus
08-14-2012, 02:16 PM
The other question I had (it just came back to me) is for those running dual siphon's. Is it hard to balance? Should I be tying them together and controlling with one gate valve? I know if I do it that way all the piping has to be exactly the same length, but it seems better to have redundancy with 2 separate drains. Just not sure how hard it will be to balance. What think you?

daplatapus
08-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Any thoughts as to structural integrity of drilling 2 - 3/4" holes on the back pane 2 1/2" down from the rim?

lockrookie
08-17-2012, 05:36 AM
drill slowly and carefully very little pressure and go with 4 return holes thi way you can adjust flow to dead areas your powerheads arent covering. try to design your return manifold insuch a way that yuo can have a syphon break to reuduce amount of back flow to sumpinpowerr failure

Bblinks
08-17-2012, 05:56 AM
I would use the still use the larger hole for the main overflow and the smaller return hole for emergency. Depending on what you want keep, you can always dial it back if it's too much. This way you can fine tune it once it's all set.

As for the 2 in 1, I think you are better off doing a dual using a gate valve for better control.

apexifd
08-17-2012, 06:01 AM
I will just use few pvc 90 and build that return, over the rim of the tank, and back into the water. and drill a small hole on the pvc at water line which will act as your siphon break.

way less work than drilling holes on the back pane and have to worry about too much water drain into the sump during power outage.

dee105
08-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Wowza, that's a big tank, I NEED to come see it in person!:biggrin:

daplatapus
08-26-2012, 04:24 AM
Yup, you do :)

I need some stocking advice for my tank. Right now I have in my 77gal:
1 Yellow eye Kole Tang
1 Flame angel
2 Occelaris clowns
2 Schooling banner fish
1 Starry blenny
1 purple fire fish
1 Two spot goby
1 Green mandarin
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
misc assorted hermits and snails
1 sand sifting star fish
1 tiger brittle star
1 electric flame scallop
1 Crocea clam
1 frog spawn
1 torch coral
1 duncan
tons of pulsing Xenia
a few acropora
a few montipora
zoa's
GSP
1 birds nest
1 poccillapora
and probably a few other corals I've forgotten

The banner fish, clam, mandarin and two spot goby are likely just visiting, helping out a friend after a move crash.

What I'd like to add to the list when I stock my 210 is another tang or 2. Because of my battle with Dichtyota, and the fact I like their looks, I was thinking a Naso tang and possibly a yellow tang (not sure if it'll get along with the kole tang though)
I'd also really like to get a shoal of fish. I was originally thinking 5 Bartlett's Anthias. Has anyone had any experience with these?
I'd also like to add some kind of wrasse if it's compatible.
My new aquascaping will probably be a small wall on one side of the tank with a couple islands. I really like negative space on the sand and want to use the islands to create that effect.
Right now I'm running 2- 250W MH's with some VHO T-5 actinics. I'll eventually be building an LED rig for the 210 as well but that's probably a year down the road. I obviously like the look of a full mixed reef, SPS, LPS, softies etc. so lighting will be everything from very well lit to darker areas.

Any recommendations of fish you've absolutely loved?
Any thoughts to when I should introduce each fish is also going to be of great help. Especially when I should be introducing the yellow eye kole tang and the Naso. I won't be tearing down the 77 DT until the 210 is fully operational, so introductions can be made slowly.

apexifd
08-26-2012, 04:53 AM
yellow tang is almost a must in any reef system. and a tang from Acanthurus family or more if you can introduce them at the same time.

Kole can go in first, acanthurus, yellow, then naso. Probably lot easier if everything goes in the same time.

School of yellow tangs is actually quite cool. I have 3 right now, thinking and planning on 2 more of them.

daplatapus
09-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Houston.... we have a bit of progress.
Well, after a long last couple weeks I've finally been able to get some work done on the sump I plan on using for this system. It's a 110 gallon I helped liberate out of Brad's back yard. Thanks again Brad! :D

I got 'er all cleaned up and removed all the old baffles and with the help of Greg, Sphelps and a couple others I came up with a design I think will do what I want it to. Thanks guys!

Greg: I really like the way you mounted your heaters and I think I'll be doing something similar in the very first chamber where my drains dump into the sump. Here's a pic I took tonight while doing a water test on the sections.
The first section is going to be where the drains empty into. The water will fill this chamber and overflow into my filter socks. Thanks to Greg, I raised the end baffle in this area an extra inch or so, so water wouldn't overflow and skip the socks as easy if they plug up just a bit.
The next chamber is going to be my skimmer section. The skimmer will be held at the correct depth by sitting on egg crate that rest on 4 - 4" diameter ABS pipe cut the correct height for my SRO skimmer. There will be as many 2" holes as I can cut into the sides of those 4" pipes to allow for water flow in and around them. In my existing sump, I've actually even filled them with LR rubble and will no doubt get as much rubble in this section as possible too.
The next section is where I plan to set up a DIY turf scrubber and more LR.
And finally, the last section is the return chamber. I've yet to decide where I'm going to drill the bulk head for the external pump. I'm tempted to drill the bottom and put some LR in here as well.
Brad: If you're reading this, do you know if the bottom is tempered?
The plan is to have a remote refugium.
Anyway, here's the pics:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/newsump4.jpg

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/newsump2.jpg

I also finally got my calcium reactor on line tonight. What a pain bleeding the air out of that first section. Little air bubbles constantly keep getting caught in the plastic media in there. Is there a trick to getting all that air out so the pump isn't sucking air into it for an hour and a half? Hmmmm, may have to do more reading on that me thinks.

Anyway, we have a bit of progress. If work ever slacks off, maybe I'll find time to build my stand for the sump and the one for the tank.

gregzz4
09-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Lookin' awesome so far :smile:

I gather you mean me when you talk about Greg and the heaters and sock overflow ...

I drilled my sump for a return pump and an accessory pump
The first time I hooked them up I had a small disaster
Long story short, I siliconed the holes shut and now run my return and acces pumps internal
Nothing like having flexibility when the tank is not drilled :wink:
Plus, the less holes in the glass the better :razz:

I like where you are putting your heaters as they will not be bypassed like mine can - potentially

Are those sock holes 7" ?

Keep the pics coming

daplatapus
09-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Ya, I did mean you. :) (it is Greg isn't it?) lol
I liked what you did with your sump and your use of limited space.

I'm running a Reeflo Barracuda for a pump and I don't have much of a choice but run external with the amount of flow I need. Half the problem is 12' of head I need to push against. I drilled my existing sump on the side and it works really well, but because of it a do lose a bit of space on that side as I also tied in my dump valves for my water changes there too. And it's really the only side I have access to for working on it. So if I had drilled the bottom, I wouldn't have to step around a bit of plumbing, as all that piping would be under the sump.

I have 4 - 7" filter socks already so I figured I might as well make my sock holder for them. It looks like it's going to work really well and I can't wait to get it plumbed in.

gregzz4
09-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Ya, it is Greg, but I'm not the only one on here :wink:

You're going to like having 7" socks
I only went with 4" to save space

Maybe my next sump ...

daplatapus
10-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Well, like I posted in my 77 gal build thread my new sump is up and running. You're right Greg, LOVE the 7" socks and the new filter holder I built for them. Way easier to change now. Something is a bit weird with the sump but not sure what it is. Here's a pic:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/IMAG0391.jpg

The return chamber on the right for some reason gets a bit of a pressure wave across it and it's really screwing with my Tunze ATO. The wave, which gets to be about 2"-3" high, makes the infrared eye bob in and out of the water and messes it up and it overfills the return chamber. I don't know what causes it.

The other bit of progress we have is I finally got to finishing re-sealing the 210. A pic my wife felt she had to take and post on here :)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/IMAG0046.jpg

HaZRaTTy
11-01-2012, 01:59 AM
How high were you at the end of the re-seal inside the tank haha... I'm betting either of these 3.

1: As high as the clouds
2: Virtually unaffected
3: Cut my head off, its going to explode.

Looks good now its time to put water in the tank ;)

daplatapus
11-01-2012, 02:42 AM
LOL, I didn't actually do the siliconing while in there, just cutting out the old stuff :D

I read in a thread somewhere Grizz mentioning a doohickey from home hardware that goes on the end of a silicone gun to make perfect corners. I found it and tried it out. I ran a couple strips of painters tape 1/4" or so on each side of the corner and ran a bead with the doohickey, and WOW! It works awesome! Perfectly straight runs, nice and clean. Thanks Grizz!

daplatapus
06-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Well after staring at this tank all winter and talking to a few people (including Denny at Concept) about a side external overflow I'm biting the bullet and going to see if I can cut the side of this tank. I just got back from a weeks camping and had a bit of time to kill tonight so I cut out the internal overflows. Anyone want them?

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-03181030_zpse70671b7.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-03181030_zpse70671b7.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-03181011_zpsc546dd4f.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-03181011_zpsc546dd4f.jpg.html)

I've also re-thought of the location of the tank when I get it installed and it'll end up being in my front entry way, but very visible from my couch. I'll have to post some pics of the interior of my place to show, but that's another day....

I've also now got a firm idea of how I'm going to build the stand and custom cabinetry and my lights are coming along nicely. I just picked up my final piece of pocket door track for hanging it all. Stay tuned on the Jarduino build thread for that one.

lockrookie
06-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Looking good.... How much you want for the overflows? :)

daplatapus
06-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Looking good.... How much you want for the overflows? :)

$10/ea sound fair? Plus any shipping. I'll clean them up a bit first. They measure 27 1/2" tall, 10 1/2" wide and 5" front to back. I can get a better pic if needed.

lockrookie
06-04-2013, 05:57 AM
$10/ea sound fair? Plus any shipping. I'll clean them up a bit first. They measure 27 1/2" tall, 10 1/2" wide and 5" front to back. I can get a better pic if needed.

No need to clean I can do that I have a project in mind for them so yes 10$ each is fair ill pm you about it...

daplatapus
06-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Well, finished up early on the job for today so worked on the tank this aft. Did a water change on the 77 at the same time. Here's the previous overflow locations cleaned up a bit:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-04125621_zpscb1758f4.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-04125621_zpscb1758f4.jpg.html)

Any thoughts on glass thickness for patching the holes in the bottom??? I was thinking of cutting plugs for the holes and siliconing them in place, then adding a piece of glass on top and underneath with 100% coverage of silicone on them. Maybe wipe the silicone on them with a drywall trowel or something so there's no air what-so-ever in there. Any thoughts???

So here is where the tank was going to go:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-04112816_zpse0b32a24.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-04112816_zpse0b32a24.jpg.html)
I was going to remove the 20 gal cube and the 210 would sit right up against that white moulding. The distance from that moulding to the right wall is about 98" so there would have been a 24" cabinet on the right side of the tank to house my right side overflow, the MP40 drivers and my Jarduino controller.
Part of my problem with that scenario is my wife thought the dining room would look too cluttered and she'd have difficulty finding a place for that china cabinet that her parents got when they first got married. That and downstairs there is a finished bedroom with only 6' 8" ceilings that I'd have to tear down to add more floor joists. And in that bedroom there's a window the tank would have spanned over that doesn't have a header over it (house was built in the 30's). I had planned on flush cutting the floor joists and adding a header in it, but that was a lot of work.
By the way I am a renovation contractor and I had an engineer on board that looked at everything and was giving me direction. Do not do this at home kids :) By the way, I did all the upgrades of this house my self. Everything got stripped to the studs, reframed the roof from the inside out and vaulted my ceilings, custom fabricated all the window trim and crown moulding, updated everything. This house was a bit of a dump when we got it, but then again that's why we got it so I could do all this. :D

So, aaaannnyyy wwaaayyyy.....
Here's the next best place, my entry way:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-04112847_zps13721c7b.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-04112847_zps13721c7b.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-04112921_zps18ad5849.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-04112921_zps18ad5849.jpg.html)

The spot is just a couple inches narrower. The ceiling isn't finished downstairs so joists are easily added, and there's no window to span. My floor throughout the whole house is actually 3" of solid wood on top of the floor joists. 3/4" diagonal shiplap, 3/4" old hardwood that I couldn't save, 3/4" tongue and groove plywood glued and screwed, then the final 3/4" finished hardwood you see there. Even if I don't add any floor joists, my engineered said I'm good, but I'm erring on the side of caution with a 3000 lbs tank.
So now instead of having a right side overflow I'll be going left side and there will be a slightly narrower cabinet on the left to house everything. Added bonus of this location is that it almost never gets direct sunlight whereas the first location got about an hour or so every eve in the summer.
The only draw back of this new location is that armoire has to go and it'll probably end up in my office :(
The coat and shoe racks will go where the armoire is now.

reefwars
06-05-2013, 12:02 AM
12mm glass will be good to block the old holes , you dont need to fill in the hole at all just the square piece of glass laminated over the hole. make the glass squares a fair bit larger then the hole (if hole is 2 1/4" use a 6" square etc.)and use construction grade silicone to adhere the glass, lots of silicone and trim what drys and squeezes out after with a razor blade

looking good dom lots of progress if you need any more help just pm me and i will be glad to help any way i can:)

cheers

denny

daplatapus
06-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Well, sometimes old houses have some issues :) Worked through supper to get my stand done for the 210... WOOHOOO!! Progress!

Built the bottom frame and set it on the floor. Had to shim the front left corner almost 1/2" to get it level. So I scribed the whole frame and planed 'er down:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-05173510_zps60c68913.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-05173510_zps60c68913.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-05173458_zps513d8aa2.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-05173458_zps513d8aa2.jpg.html)

An hour later and a half a garbage bag of shavings and sawdust later this is 100% contact on the floor and a 6' level :D

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-05174336_zps5bdd3150.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-05174336_zps5bdd3150.jpg.html)

Then goes the legs and top deck and Houston, we have touch down!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-05202503_zps8d5db81c.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-05202503_zps8d5db81c.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-05202539_zps7c7fca28.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-05202539_zps7c7fca28.jpg.html)

The plan is to do a single sheet of plywood on the front from the left wall to the corner of the stand with 3 squares cut out of it. 2 will match the holes in the stand the 3rd will make another cabinet door between the stand and the wall. This left side of the cabinet will go 18" higher than the tank. Then make 2 cabinet cubes that will slide into the holes in the frame. Skin the side with another sheet and trim out the one corner and have the matching base board wrap around the bottom to make it look totally built in. I'll also carry matching crown mould across the top and matching window sill around the bottom of the tank.
That is, if everything goes according to plan....

Stay tuned...

H2o2
06-06-2013, 05:31 AM
Looking great and that bit of sun that will shine in at certain times of the year will be cool if it shoots through the tank.Well doing ( not done yet)

lastlight
06-06-2013, 06:18 AM
wow that's one heck of a level you've got there! makes my 4 footer look like a child's toy lol.

are you notching the tank for an external overflow? looks good so far and keep the detailed updates coming i love the diy stuff.

daplatapus
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
wow that's one heck of a level you've got there! makes my 4 footer look like a child's toy lol.

are you notching the tank for an external overflow? looks good so far and keep the detailed updates coming i love the diy stuff.

Thanks! Ya, that's my door hanging level, I love it except for when I can't get the bubble in the middle :D Sometimes with a 6' level like this that's hard to do, lol.

I will be notching the left side of the tank, kinda like mseepman has on his tank. I've phoned around everywhere local to get some 12mm glass to build the overflow box but seems like no here has anything that thick so still waiting on some prices to bring it in. Going to phone a couple places in Nanaimo today to see if my luck is a bit better.

reefwars
06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
If you can't find any I can cut and send some out to you:)

Skimmerking
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
hey Dap the reason for the wave action and the ATO messing around is simple. Just look at the filter socks that is what is causing it. The more crap that fills in the filter socks causes a suction on the other end. so the water is sucking from the right side cause its not flowing freely through your sock.

HTH

daplatapus
06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
hey Dap the reason for the wave action and the ATO messing around is simple. Just look at the filter socks that is what is causing it. The more crap that fills in the filter socks causes a suction on the other end. so the water is sucking from the right side cause its not flowing freely through your sock.

HTH

Hmmm, that is possible. I never did figure it out, but since I raised the water level in that chamber it seems to have gone away on it's own.

daplatapus
06-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Well got a bit more done. Came home tonight and thought I'd bite the bullet and start on my over flow before I chickened out and sat there looking at it for another week or two.

I really wanted to keep as much of the ABS frame as I could for strength purposes so I took a 2" hole saw and cut the plastic a bit further back then where I'll be cutting the glass. The took a Dremel with saw attachment and cut along the top of the glass from hole to hole.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-06165423_zps2bfa2c08.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-06165423_zps2bfa2c08.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-06170427_zps14d1e25b.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-06170427_zps14d1e25b.jpg.html)

So I'm really hoping that what remains of the top bracing will be enough for structural integrity. If anyone thinks I should add something to that side, speak up.

Here's what's left:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-06170515_zps1421cc4d.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-06170515_zps1421cc4d.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-06170542_zpsd8044a41.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-06170542_zpsd8044a41.jpg.html)
The red lines represent the edge of the holes that I'll be cutting in the glass. The holes will be 1 1/2" and I'll cut a line that just touched the bottom of those 2 holes. I know that I will not want any over cut so is there something anyone can recommend that I can throw on my Dremel or something that I can finish grind that little bit of break that I'll have in the corner?

lockrookie
06-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Angle grinder with a diamond blade will chew it away nicely

When I did my 180 I did this to my euro brace 1/2" glass

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/180g%20tank/104_0001.jpg

And cut the straight line freehand slowly with the angle grinder to get this

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/180g%20tank/104_0002.jpg

Now I won't lie their can be a bit of chipping but you can smother it a bit with a belt sander and water carefully

Another option is to use this on a router and set a straight edge again with slow careful motion I used this when I built my 50

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/21565_XB-LF1_3.jpg

And got this result

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/100_6467.jpg

I never worried about the rough edges as I covered that side with black acrylic to make overflow teeth.

If you have question don't hesitate to ask

daplatapus
06-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Well probably the biggest concern in this tank is DONE!!!! Some of it went well, and other.... well you'll see.

A couple months ago I was asked to do a job with these sheets of marble to do a tub surround. The sheets came 24" X 84". Well to do a 5' tub wall one of those sheets had to get cut in half and look like a factory cut. So I got me one of these:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07193509_zps0f7dafa2.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07193509_zps0f7dafa2.jpg.html)
Cut that stuff like butter, so I thought, "hey, I wonder if this would cut glass?" Does it ever :D

So to start I cut 2 - 1 3/8 holes. I was told to cut 1 1/2" but I didn't have one and figured an 1/8" ain't gonna make a difference. So 2 holes on either end with the wife pouring water on the bit while I drilled and presto, hole on the left:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07190824_zps7fd3ec5b.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07190824_zps7fd3ec5b.jpg.html)

and hole on the right:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07191514_zpsa94f0f3a.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07191514_zpsa94f0f3a.jpg.html)

That was the easy part. So in part to procrastinate a bit more, I prepped the side panel so the base of the saw wouldn't scratch the glass:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07193051_zpsc4ea5579.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07193051_zpsc4ea5579.jpg.html)

At this point the wife couldn't watch so she went back upstairs and turned the TV really loud. Not sure if that was to drown out the noise of the saw or so she didn't hear my screams if I screwed this up :lalala:

10 min later and 30 gallons of water spray later:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07193702_zpsd1e9e5b7.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07193702_zpsd1e9e5b7.jpg.html)

And the tank:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07193520_zpsd55f1dd6.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07193520_zpsd55f1dd6.jpg.html)

daplatapus
06-08-2013, 03:53 AM
From there, a few cuts here, and a few cuts there, and we have a piece of glass:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07194038_zpsfa769835.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07194038_zpsfa769835.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07195655_zpse4670d5c.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07195655_zpse4670d5c.jpg.html)

The start of the cut and end were a bit rougher than I liked so I just took a regular 1/2" drum sanding thingy for my Dremel and watered the glass down a bit and sanded the tiny rough bits off. This was the result:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07195718_zps6d4f62fa.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07195718_zps6d4f62fa.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07195736_zpscaaf6723.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07195736_zpscaaf6723.jpg.html)

But here is where things started to go awry :(
Just when I was feeling all proud of myself for making it this far and not have to go buy a bunch of glass to re-build the tank, I grabbed a bunch of rags to sop all the water up from inside the tank and wipe the glass down. Guess what?
Did you know that when there no glass to support that trim it's really brittle :frusty:
So needless to say you really shouldn't lean on it. Argh. Yup, SNAP! Du'oh!!!!!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07195839_zps113def0d.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07195839_zps113def0d.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07195856_zps75e32c26.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07195856_zps75e32c26.jpg.html)

Not sure what I should do now. Build a brace that goes over on this side? Glue an ABS sheet 24" long 2"-3" wide right on top?
Pull all the bracing off and Eurobrace with glass? For some reason this option scares me a bit.
I don't know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway when you stand back and look at it, it looks good :redface:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-07200316_zps0cd1ba36.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-07200316_zps0cd1ba36.jpg.html)

lastlight
06-08-2013, 04:24 AM
that cut turned out great. i'm pretty sure they say one piece trims offer some strength while the frames that are 4 pieces glued together offer none. but i highly doubt that trim did much of anything before. you should be fine but maybe smarter people can chime in.

ScubaSteve
06-08-2013, 05:25 AM
I haven't crunched the numbers to prove it but a decade and half of engineering tells me that ABS did a whole lotta dimp for structure other than hiding someone doing a sloppy job in finishing the edges of the glass and cleaning up excess silicone. My vote would have been to remove the trim anyways. Go modern, go rimless.

daplatapus
06-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Ok, so I'm re-visiting the idea of eurobracing this tank. I cleaned off the piece I removed and it's totally polished.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-08124632_zps0f8e5320.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-08124632_zps0f8e5320.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-08124540_zps877584d8.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-08124540_zps877584d8.jpg.html)

So I'm thinking this tank is a good candidate for glass euro bracing. I've looked a fair bit on line and I can't find any kind of calculator for figuring out how wide the bracing should be. My gut's telling me 3" or so.
Then while I'm searching for this, I run into the different ways to do euro bracing. Run the front and back strips inside the tank and the 2 sides and 2 centre braces on top. Or run the front and back on top of the tank, the 2 ends in-between the front and back and the centre braces on top of the front and back braces.
Argh, why can't anything be simple, lol.
So, for those of you who have 210's or similar 72" X24" tanks, what size is your bracing and where do they sit on your tanks? Pics are welcome too.

lockrookie
06-09-2013, 06:35 AM
I went 4" on mine as a 180 so with yours just for safety I'd say 4.5 should be strong enough .5 will be the overlap on the glass leaving you with 4"

lockrookie
06-09-2013, 06:36 AM
I will round up pics in the am

lockrookie
06-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Here is the best pic I have ... Keep in mind I messed up ordering my front panel and it was 1/2" to high so I attached the front brace differently than the back brace. So if you had 4.5 brace it would look similar to the front vrs the back.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/105_6617.jpg

daplatapus
06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Wow, so far for 6 pieces of 12mm glas to euro brace my 210 and 4 pieces to build an overflow box is going to cost me almost $1000.
Does that seem right to anyone?

ScubaSteve
06-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Definitely not. Whoever is giving you those prices is on crack. I built a whole tank with overflow box, with the back glass CNC'd for the overflow notch, and beveled/polished edges for less than $250. Granted it was 3/8" instead of 1/2"... But $1000 is stupid.

denny_CC
06-10-2013, 11:01 PM
pm'd with a much better price then that lol :P

daplatapus
06-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Lol, ya. When I saw the quote I nearly fell over. First of all they would only sell me tempered. Not sure if that was accurate or not. So I got them to quote both tempered and float. I didn't know exactly what sizes I needed but for rough pricing I got them to quote the following sizes:
All pieces were 12mm glass
2 - 72" X 3"
4 - 24" X 3"
1 - 22 1/2" X 16"
2 - 16" X 8"
1 - 22 1/2" X 8 1/2"
2 - 12" X 4" (for patching the internal overflows)
For untempered that was $781.44 before tax
Tempered was $921.35 before tax.

All pieces had polished edges.

daplatapus
06-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Hey Lockrookie, was there somewhere you got your euro brace measurements from? I'd just like a bit of confirmation on sizing and placement of the glass pieces before I order anything.
Or if anyone else has a 210 can speak to this too that'd be awesome!

lockrookie
06-15-2013, 07:33 PM
I got my measurements from reading other ppls builds and collecting data also if you talk to deny or Dave I am sure they will confirm that 4.5 should be enough max 5" basically as you silicone the euro onto the edge of the glass it creates a angle iron effect lets put it this way with my 180 there is no flex

reefwars
06-15-2013, 07:44 PM
youll need a 4" brace , 12mm and it needs to have 1/16th to 3/16" of an inch for spacing no more no less;)

the front and back of the tank will have a full span and the side will between both.

make sure to clamp the braces as they dry so they dont sag

hth

cheers

denny

daplatapus
06-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys! I've been trying to not bug Denny too much as I know he's been extremely busy I felt guilty picking his brain but because living in another province wanted to avoid as much shipping as possible so he wouldn't really see any monetary returns from helping me :redface:

But so far my I've only got my local quote down to $460, so Denny might still be the cheapest. Still waiting on a Victoria quote though.

Hopefully I'll get this sorted out and ordered this week.

ScubaSteve
06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Try Niki Glass in Van. With shipping it still might be cheaper.

daplatapus
06-25-2013, 03:55 AM
Well, found a place in Vic that'll get me my glass for just shy of $300. Gonna pick it up on Friday.
So no use in letting fear and common sense stop me from carrying on, Started my trim removal tonight:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-24202454_zpsf19ced2b.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-24202454_zpsf19ced2b.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-24202811_zps456135e8.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-24202811_zps456135e8.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-24205922_zps8d94cd19.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-24205922_zps8d94cd19.jpg.html)

Still have a lot of silicone to clean up, that'll probably take the next few days to get her nice and clean. I have a couple tubes of GE SCS1200 for setting the eurobrace on.

daplatapus
06-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Went in to Vic yesterday to get my glass. Not bad, all the glass I needed, a corner protector I got to cover a small chip and to protect the one exposed corner of the tank, 2 tubes of SCS 1200, all for $250. Not bad I didn't think.

So guess what I'm doing on and off today? :D

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-28083055_zps13c7b1e0.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-28083055_zps13c7b1e0.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-28083117_zps9bc80764.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-28083117_zps9bc80764.jpg.html)

daplatapus
06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Started siliconing my overflow box first. Made up a couple plywood squares to help hold everything. All prep done and ready:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-28092541_zpsaa5efa82.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-28092541_zpsaa5efa82.jpg.html)

Left side on:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-28092827_zps187dfe85.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-28092827_zps187dfe85.jpg.html)

Right side:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-28093154_zps4ad342eb.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-28093154_zps4ad342eb.jpg.html)

And the corner seam:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-06-28093217_zpsa40934b4.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-06-28093217_zpsa40934b4.jpg.html)

Not too shabby. I'm fairly pleased. I'll wait until it all sets up and I'll put the bottom on after.

Now the 72" pieces for the euro brace :help:

b09u5
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Those plywood squares are simple genius! I am new to this, so I am not sure if they are common or not, but I would have never thought them up.

The build is looking great.... I am looking forward to seeing the rest! Thanks for sharing.

Skimmerking
07-06-2013, 02:25 PM
looking really good. well done

daplatapus
07-10-2013, 03:29 AM
Those plywood squares are simple genius! I am new to this, so I am not sure if they are common or not, but I would have never thought them up.

The build is looking great.... I am looking forward to seeing the rest! Thanks for sharing.

Haha, thanks. But in all honesty, it took me an hour of looking around my shop and basement wracking my brains how I was going to keep this stuff square. I had one small square and I was thinking, if only I had 3 more, lol. Then it hit me to make my own. It did take me a couple tries to get my saw perfectly square though. I was too lazy to set up my good one from my work trailer so I was using my old DeWalt compound.

looking really good. well done

Thanks, man. I've got the eurobrace done as well now but have no photo's yet. I'm trying to get a hold of a couple guys now to haul this thing out to my shop so I can stand it on end and silicone the overflow box onto the left side. Then I'll set it up in the garage and fill 'er up and hopefully she won't blow :D
But if she does, there a lot less explaining to do if it goes out there than if it's in my living room.

daplatapus
07-11-2013, 03:19 AM
Bribed some buds with some Corona's tonight to come over and help move the beast out to the garage. Beers came out AFTER the move :)
Got the overflow all siliconed in. Gonna try and get it on the stand in the garage on Fri and get some water in it to see if it'll hold.

daplatapus
07-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Water is entering the tank.. almost half full :eek:

daplatapus
07-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Got the tank filled! And no water on the floor. That's a good thing :D I put in 2 WP40's and got a bit of a wave going. Took a little clip of it running, I'll see if I can get it posted

HaZRaTTy
07-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Got the tank filled! And no water on the floor. That's a good thing :D I put in 2 WP40's and got a bit of a wave going. Took a little clip of it running, I'll see if I can get it posted

Whats the canreef saying? If there's no pictures it didn't happen.

daplatapus
07-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Lol, ya, ya, ya. I was out in the garage when I posted that. As soon as dropbox gets the clip uploaded I'll post it. Give me 5 min :D I'm happy!

Bblinks
07-14-2013, 04:10 AM
We want pictures or it didn't happen!!!

daplatapus
07-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Ok, finished uploading. First a couple pics:

Out in the garage, all levelled out:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-07-13200550_zpsb5f9656c.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-07-13200550_zpsb5f9656c.jpg.html)

starting the fill:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-07-13201619_zps6b0290bf.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-07-13201619_zps6b0290bf.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-07-13203537_zps6e54890d.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-07-13203537_zps6e54890d.jpg.html)

daplatapus
07-14-2013, 04:27 AM
And a short little clip. Sorry about the cheezy play by play, but I tried doing one without and it didn't seem right either

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/th_2013-07-13205154_zps4d36cfd6.jpg (http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-07-13205154_zps4d36cfd6.mp4)

Bblinks
07-14-2013, 04:39 AM
That's a pretty good wave those pumps are making. Everything looks great Dom!

michika
07-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Looks great!

daplatapus
07-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys and gals! I appreciate the encouraging remarks. I was pretty stressed about filling this thing.

So I went into the garage this morning and....

everything is still dry! Woohoo!. But when I left last night I tried manually kind of syncing the 2 pumps to get a bigger wave in there. It was ok but barely bigger than was in the clip. I guess it just took some time with the pumps working together and get that volume of water moving because this morning the waves were smacking the underside of the eurobrace a bit. But it's all still looking really good. I'm going to leave it run like that for a few days or so then drain it down, cut my drains in the overflow and move it into the house where I can start my partial foam rock walls, cabinetry, and plumbing down to the basement.

dee105
07-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Hey Dom.. Are your pumps making the same noise that mine are? We have all been sleeping with fans to dull the noise out. It is that loud.. Also what settings do you have them on for the waves.. I don't know if it is just the shape of my tank, but I'm not getting any waves at all..

And Yayy for no busted out tank in the garage..:biggrin:

Leah
07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
....but it is still only in the garage..I was all excited for nothin. :wink:

daplatapus
07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey Dom.. Are your pumps making the same noise that mine are? We have all been sleeping with fans to dull the noise out. It is that loud.. Also what settings do you have them on for the waves.. I don't know if it is just the shape of my tank, but I'm not getting any waves at all..

And Yayy for no busted out tank in the garage..:biggrin:

Ya, they are. But I've talked a few people about that and they are supposed to quieten down after a week or two. Thankfully mine are in the garage :D
I've been playing around with them a bit and I get really good waves on W1 and the wave duration knob turned to about setting 4-6. You might have to play with yours. But be careful! These little pumps are strong. Won't take much to cause a tsunami in your tank, lol. Keep the strength setting at S3.

....but it is still only in the garage..I was all excited for nothin. :wink:

Haha, It's coming, it's coming. I'll be bringing it in the house this weekend. But I still have a bunch of work to do on it before it gets salty. I want to build a foam rock wall to cover about 75% of the left side where the overflow is and create a 1/2 pillar kind of thing about 2/3 of the way down the back. I'll also be painting the back glass, drilling the drains, plumbing to the sump. Still haven't decided if it's cheaper to drive over to J&L and grab my sand and some dry rock for the rock wall or have them ship everything over.

daplatapus
07-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Well, the tank is still full of water, even with all the waves :D
Got the back of the tank painted last night and this morning. Man it takes a lot of paint to cover 6' of tank, lol. I'm still waiting on a 1 3/4" hole bit for my 1" bulkhead so until that gets drilled the tank is staying where it is. Hopefully see it this week. Heading out on a 3 day backpacking trip to Della Falls next weekend so not much will happen now on it until Aug :(
Picking up the wife on Wed from Van (she went and visited family and friends in Canmore) so I get to pick up all my sand and dryrock from J&L for my rock wall. Slowly seeing progress.

Rice Reef
07-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Well, the tank is still full of water, even with all the waves :D
Got the back of the tank painted last night and this morning. Man it takes a lot of paint to cover 6' of tank, lol. I'm still waiting on a 1 3/4" hole bit for my 1" bulkhead so until that gets drilled the tank is staying where it is. Hopefully see it this week. Heading out on a 3 day backpacking trip to Della Falls next weekend so not much will happen now on it until Aug :(
Picking up the wife on Wed from Van (she went and visited family and friends in Canmore) so I get to pick up all my sand and dryrock from J&L for my rock wall. Slowly seeing progress.

Dom, glad to hear your water test is going well! don't keep us waiting too long with the updates! While you're in Van be sure to say hi to my buddy, Rich at R and L! He always have new reef treats! :biggrin:

daplatapus
07-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Well I did tell him I'm headed over but he said he has to work and all that, yada, yada, yada. Hmmmm, now that I think of it, maybe when he's not home is the best time to pop in there, lol.

daplatapus
08-04-2013, 04:41 PM
A bit of progress. Got the tank water test finished, just emptied it on Friday. With all the evap the level went down about 6" and the wave in there was quite large. There's no doubt in my mind now as to the strength of the new eurobrace. Drained it out, cleaned it up a bit and got the back and 1 side painted and drilled my overflow holes.
I also went into Van a couple weeks ago and got my sand and a box of Marco rock to build my side rock wall and hopefully a half pillar that will go up against the glass on the back to kind of split the back of the tank in 1/3 - 2/3. I'll be cutting the rock with my 12" DeWalt wet saw so it'll all be nice and flat against the glass. I'm debating wether I should build it on eggcrate like I've seen people do or silicone it directly to the back wall....
Any thoughts?

daplatapus
08-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Well, got some furniture moved, stand painted and in it's final resting place. Still looking for a few guys to help me move the beast one last time...

Here's a pic of the new location and the 77...

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-05170836_zpse5447e87.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-05170836_zpse5447e87.jpg.html)

daplatapus
08-12-2013, 12:36 AM
The bird is finally in the henhouse :D

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-11173850_zpsade08924.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-11173850_zpsade08924.jpg.html)

daplatapus
08-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, finally got to breaking out the wet saw last night. I want to create a bit of a rock wall on the left side so you can't see into the overflow box on the left side. But I'd like it to take as little room as possible. So I cut some Marco rock in half and I'll be mounting them somehow to the side panel. Right now I'm thinking I'll be siliconing them right to the glass. The only draw back is trying to remove them if need be in the future. But it seems like everything I've seen with builds that are using eggcrate to build their walls, they silicone that to the rock wall anyway, so no real difference.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-19181933_zps9efa2434.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-19181933_zps9efa2434.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-19181941_zpsc8d2d2a1.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-19181941_zpsc8d2d2a1.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-19181945_zpse7bbb6f1.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-19181945_zpse7bbb6f1.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-19182003_zps4127caf4.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-19182003_zps4127caf4.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-19182026_zps021bda71.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-19182026_zps021bda71.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-19183154_zpsdd0aa514.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-19183154_zpsdd0aa514.jpg.html)

I've probably got a couple pieces too many for the 24" X 29" wall I want to do, but I was debating creating a similar style rock pillar on the right 1/3 of the tank against the back wall with a couple protruding shelves. But I want to see how this turns out before I cut the remaining pieces I have.

I also have some pre-finished birch plywood on the way to build some of my cabinet components. I've decided not to put doors on the bottom cabinet inside the stand (where you see the 2 squares). Because the stand is fairly deep, I'm worried things will get shoved in there, never to be seen again, or the space wasted. So I'll be building 2 boxes out of this pre-finished plywood, then slipping them into those 2 squares. Then using Blum cabinet hardware, I'll be making 2 deep drawers per box and have drawers there instead of doors. That way we can make use of the entire storage capacity there for whatever.
The space on the left of the stand is still going to have a full height cabinet to hide the overflow, WP & MP controllers, LED controller and tools for the tank. And a 16" high canopy is going to be sitting on top of the tank to mount my LED rails and prevent light spillage and hopefully contain any wrasses that go in there.

Trevor W
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Coming along nicely! The new tank and placement looks awesome. Are you planning on extending the rock wall that is going to cover the side pane with the overflow a little bit around the corner and onto the back pane and then have it trail off into your main scape? or will you just be placing it on the one side pane? I really like the idea of going a round the corner a little bit and trailing down on an angle with the piece getting gradually larger or sticking out from the wall more as it comes down. If that makes any sense at all.:mrgreen:
Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

daplatapus
03-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Well, I think this tank may be in the "One of the longest builds ever" books, lol. I finally got the rare combination of tools, time, materials and gumption for another step. I finally built the cube inserts for the stand and one of the gable ends for the overflow side. I just realized too I never did post any pics of the cut dry rock in place so you can see now what I did. I plan on building an arch off of a pillar to the rock on the right side of the tank that looks like it's sitting up in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, without further ado...

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/image_zps9ef125a4.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/image_zps9ef125a4.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/image_zps5302f80a.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/image_zps5302f80a.jpg.html)

reeferfulton
03-01-2014, 11:44 PM
looking real good . i had no idea you could cut dry rock like that . Wicked.
Guessing your sump will be in the basement ?

daplatapus
03-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Ya, I have a 150 gal down there now where my 77 and 20 go into now. I'll get this guy running, move the stock from the 77 into it, then shut down my 77.

reeferfulton
03-02-2014, 12:17 AM
just read through your build . .You have put alot ! of work into this tank so far . impressed . cant wait to see it running .

Rice Reef
03-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Cool rock work! I think Kien should give your journal a cool name too! :biggrin:

daplatapus
03-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Ooooo, a cool tank journal name! Kein would have to do it, cause I certainly don't have the imagination for it, lol.

just read through your build . .You have put alot ! of work into this tank so far . impressed . cant wait to see it running .
Thanks, man. And neither can I, neither can I. And my wife too, lol. She's getting tired of staring at an empty tank for almost 2 years haha.

Ram3500
03-02-2014, 07:09 PM
I love that floating rock that's a great idea looks slick .How did you mount it on the back glass ?

daplatapus
03-02-2014, 08:41 PM
I just used the GE SCS1200 silicone. On the previous page I showed how i cut all my rock so it was flat on the back so sticking it on there was pretty easy. I had to do only a couple pieces at a time and let it set then do another couple pieces. I held them in place overnight with clamps and wire strung over the eurobracing or with plywood shimmed up underneath them. I also put one of my big work shirts underneath them in case they fell before it was all set up.
I thought I had more pics but here's a couple when I started it:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-24085831_zpsd134d7ff.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-24085831_zpsd134d7ff.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-08-24085841_zpsadb769f6.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-08-24085841_zpsadb769f6.jpg.html)

reeferfulton
03-02-2014, 09:01 PM
wicked ..
i love the coat in there just in case it fell while you slept lol . good call

daplatapus
03-09-2014, 12:20 AM
So a wee bit more progress. I started the canopy for the tank. I ended up using a cabinet grade 5/8" pre-finished birch plywood. I'm going to seal the ends with Diamond Finish Varathane. Here's a pic while putting it all together in the shop:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-03-08163132_zps945279f6.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-03-08163132_zps945279f6.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-03-08163143_zps10d60c61.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-03-08163143_zps10d60c61.jpg.html)

Then I brought it in to dry fit it and make sure everything is going to work as I think it will. And as normal, nothing does, lol:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-03-08165144_zps730edaca.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-03-08165144_zps730edaca.jpg.html)

There's a slight twist in my legs that's apparent if you look close, but I'll be taking another sheet of ply and cutting out the access holes so that will straighten all that out and keep that front nice and square with the rest of it. I will be using pocket door rail running from front to back for each of the 3 light fixtures I've built. If I see the need in the future for it, I can also add 2 more rails 6' long running from left to right to give me even more flexibility for light fixture locations.
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-03-08165154_zpsfde0e520.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-03-08165154_zpsfde0e520.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-03-08165249_zpsf4fa6a62.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-03-08165249_zpsf4fa6a62.jpg.html)

I have thought of one issue I'm not completely certain how to overcome yet. When I mount my light fixture, my wiring comes out of the back of the heatsink. And it's big. 20 wires in one, lol.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2013-05-10072438_zps8d253174.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2013-05-10072438_zps8d253174.jpg.html)

When I go to push the fixture all the way back out of the way to work in the tank, I'm not sure where that 12"-16" of wire will go. I may cut a 1" oval hole in that back sheet so that it just slides behind the tank.
Any comments or concerns, fire away. I'd rather find out now than later :)

daplatapus
03-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Little bit more accomplished over the last week or so. Today we got rained out at work so I spent a bit of time sanding my face frame's for the cabinetry. So here's a couple pics of the frames dry-fit on. Everything is getting a coat of Claw Lock sealer, then 3 coats of white, then another couple coats of clear to help give it that nice polished look. Doors are going to be shaker style. I will also have a window sill trim (that matches all my window sills) to cap the top edge at the lower part of the tank and a crown moulding on the top to match my existing crown moulding that goes all around my house.
Starting to look like something! Next.... plumbing :)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/7181ef3567257a0313d3269d82290592_zpsac9c1269.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/7181ef3567257a0313d3269d82290592_zpsac9c1269.jpg.h tml)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/5c99e0705c825b2f689776d2ad97a833_zps758eb8c5.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/5c99e0705c825b2f689776d2ad97a833_zps758eb8c5.jpg.h tml)

And here is the left cabinet space. There's a cavity between the top cabinet and the bottom cabinet where all the plumbing will be run through. I cut the side of this gable out to allow me to fish all my wiring up inside the wall for my Apex and for the ducting I have that will run into the canopy that will be hooked up to a HRV in the fish room downstairs.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/c460895eb087eccf2e2094137f8543c1_zps2c99a7fd.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/c460895eb087eccf2e2094137f8543c1_zps2c99a7fd.jpg.h tml)

duncangweller
03-25-2014, 10:58 PM
That's really nice. I want to do shaker doors on my stand too. Following along

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

daplatapus
05-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Finally got into the paint booth:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-19150016_zps2044eb00.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-19150016_zps2044eb00.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-19155329_zps5f23ea3a.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-19155329_zps5f23ea3a.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-19163359_zps88124af7.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-19163359_zps88124af7.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-19155346_zps6a9db6bd.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-19155346_zps6a9db6bd.jpg.html)

2 coats of M.L.Campbell Clawlock. Tomorrow it gets 2 coats of white and hopefully another 2-4 coats of clear after that throughout the week.

I really have to get started on the plumbing :)

daplatapus
05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Got 2 coats of white done yesterday. Pics look the same so I won't bore you guys with them. Headed to Nanaimo today to pick up plumbing supplies and other stuff for work.
Got a call from Jeff at LifeReef last night... my new skimmer is on it's way! Yay!

don.ald
05-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Looking great Dominique .
You better hurry up and get it done, with this weather you'll be back outside building the wife's garden fixtures. :mrgreen:

daplatapus
05-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Lol, you have no idea how accurate that statement is :) She's already chomping at the bit for a few things to get done.

I got a couple hours this aft to work on some of the plumbing. I had to fish all my lines up through the wall from the basement, so I opted to run that section in white spa flex. Only down side is how stiff this stuff is, but with a little grunt work I was able to get them all in. I'm planning running a Herbie set up, it's worked extremely well for me so far. Using Beananimal's flow guide, the numbers work for running a single 1" full siphon, but it seemed close, so I ran 2. This also gives me the ability to run Beananimals silent overflow should the desire hit me. I also ran a 1-1/2" safety overflow.
The returns are probably overkill. I'm planning on running 2 Waveline 12,000's. The output's on them are 1-1/4" so I ran 2, 1-1/4" lines. One on the front of the tank and one at the back. My plan is to run a line across the front with 3 - 3/4" loc-lines and the same across the back, each on their own pump. After the first 3/4" loc-lines come off, I'm going to reduce to 1", then when the second comes off, reduce to the final 3/4" loc-line.
Yesterday, while in Nanaimo I got most of the hardware I need for my cabinet doors although I've yet to order them. Hopefully that'll happen early next week.

Any suggestions on doing something different/better, let me know.
Anyway pics:

Lots of pipes for such a small hole

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-22160605_zpsdf7d3f32.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-22160605_zpsdf7d3f32.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-22161313_zps6b7c2c34.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-22161313_zps6b7c2c34.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-22180223_zps71d8bb4f.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-22180223_zps71d8bb4f.jpg.html)

ScubaSteve
05-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Lookin' good, Dom!

One recommendation I have is to brace the spaflex to take stress off the bulkheads on the overflow box. Because the spaflex is pretty stiff and has a BRUTAL shape memory that tries to make it coil back up, it ends up putting constant stress on the bulkheads over time, especially in a tight space. I've already had one bulkhead fail because of it (the sideways torque caused the external plastic nut on the bulkhead to skip a thread and come loose - that was an exciting day). And now that I'm typing this I can see the back of the tank and am noticing a lot of salt creep on one of the bulkheads, telling me that it's not far off from a repeat. I think I'm going to replumb and use hard piping.

benzzz
05-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Wow beautiful set up so far. Gonna follow along

:popcorn:

daplatapus
05-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Lookin' good, Dom!

One recommendation I have is to brace the spaflex to take stress off the bulkheads on the overflow box.

Thanks man. Funny you mention the issues with the flex torqueing on the bulkheads. As I was putting it together I was thinking the same thing, but was hoping if I left for a day or two it would get used to the turn I put in it. Maybe I'll cut that section and put 2 - 45's there on that last turn directly below the bulkheads.

Wow beautiful set up so far. Gonna follow along

:popcorn:

Thanks! I'm really hoping to get it wet this summer. Been a long haul so far.

monkE
05-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Wow dom awesome build thread, now i see what you were talking about! That rock wall looks really good, can't wait to see this tank take shape. I'm going to have to find someone close by with a wet saw because i love the floating rock on the back wall idea! getting in there while the tank is already setup however could prove difficult ;) Anyway keep the updates coming, great work so far.

Skimmer Juice
05-25-2014, 07:50 PM
really nice clean set up. Wish I had wood working skills to make a stand .

daplatapus
05-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Look what I got in the mail today :D

There was one more box, but I forgot to include it in the pics :(
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125258_zpsb065b800.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125258_zpsb065b800.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125720_zpsdad6ff21.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125720_zpsdad6ff21.jpg.html)

Oh, Look! It's nesting boxes!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125811_zps54be4967.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125811_zps54be4967.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125503_zps3f049da8.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125503_zps3f049da8.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27130400_zps5d4b611e.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27130400_zps5d4b611e.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-29130913_zps8afa1b31.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-29130913_zps8afa1b31.jpg.html)

48 3/4 total inches of AWESOME!!!!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-29130849_zpscf8a7318.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-29130849_zpscf8a7318.jpg.html)

daplatapus
06-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Hmmm, doesn't seem like anyone likes my skimmer :( Oh well...

Started on my rock work yesterday. Got some acrylic rod and a couple sheets for bases. The plan was for 2 pillars and an archway to the floating rock on the back right of the tank. But after looking at it for a bit, I decided that the rock work glued to the left side on the tank to hide the overflow gives the look of one pillar already. So I decided to just make 1 more pillar and 1 arch.
I'm not really happy with my arch - I may scrap the idea but would like some opinions.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-01141719_zps191a102a.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-01141719_zps191a102a.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-01150107_zpse9e1c02b.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-01150107_zpse9e1c02b.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-01171226_zps82e0269f.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-01171226_zps82e0269f.jpg.html)

Turns out the piece is too heavy for me to get into my tank by myself. I have to wait and see if I can get a buddy over to help me lift it in there. Meanwhile, it sits on a TV table beside the couch. :D
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02065721_zps0000226f.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02065721_zps0000226f.jpg.html)

The Arch - It's not finished, I have a bunch of rock rubble I will be fitting in between the rocks to make it look like one piece instead of a bunch of rocks stacked together.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02065619_zps69299643.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02065619_zps69299643.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02065653_zpsc224beeb.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02065653_zpsc224beeb.jpg.html)

And and end view...

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02065644_zpsc7f12e82.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02065644_zpsc7f12e82.jpg.html)

The tank is 24" front to back, I want to avoid the mistake I made on my current tank of too much rock and rock too close to the glass. As well I still have 1 or 2 large pieces of rock I'll with stack against the base of the arch, or sit in the front right corner so there isn't quite so much negative space.

reeferfulton
06-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I think your skimmer looks sick!!.
guess that's not going under the tank eh lol.. is it lifereef?

I've been following your build thread, looking awesome. I really like the time you are putting into the rock work. it is going to stand out once completed. .

keep the updates coming

WarDog
06-02-2014, 02:41 PM
That's not a skimmer, it's a Saturn V rocket! Neil Armstrong would approve! Awesome build so far. Enjoying the updates and the rock work!

daplatapus
06-03-2014, 02:04 AM
Reeferfulton - ya, it is a Lifereef. The thing is awesome. Can't wait to get her fired up. Jeff from Lifereef is great, loves to communicate and walk you through the decision making process. I paired it with a Jabeo DC6000 from Nick.

Lol, Wardog. The thing is a beast. It's modular so I can get another extension tube and make it a 72" skimmer :D

Got a buddy coming tonight to help me get that sculpture in the tank. Stay tuned...

Ram3500
06-03-2014, 02:35 AM
Look what I got in the mail today :D

There was one more box, but I forgot to include it in the pics :(
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125258_zpsb065b800.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125258_zpsb065b800.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125720_zpsdad6ff21.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125720_zpsdad6ff21.jpg.html)

Oh, Look! It's nesting boxes!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125811_zps54be4967.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125811_zps54be4967.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27125503_zps3f049da8.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27125503_zps3f049da8.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-27130400_zps5d4b611e.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-27130400_zps5d4b611e.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-29130913_zps8afa1b31.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-29130913_zps8afa1b31.jpg.html)

48 3/4 total inches of AWESOME!!!!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-05-29130849_zpscf8a7318.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-05-29130849_zpscf8a7318.jpg.html)

That thing is a beast :twised:

daplatapus
06-03-2014, 03:49 AM
Houston, the rock is in... now to get it where I like it, lol

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02202144_zps1584ebe4.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02202144_zps1584ebe4.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02202057_zps618684e6.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02202057_zps618684e6.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02202029_zps784c657b.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02202029_zps784c657b.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02201938_zpsbe76a79f.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02201938_zpsbe76a79f.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-02201927_zps6e57c9df.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-02201927_zps6e57c9df.jpg.html)

I think what I don't like about the arch is it look unfinished. It is, after all, only 1/2 an arch. So I am debating cutting some more rock, and stacking it underneath the one stuck on the glass to continue it down to the tank floor again.

Hmmmmmm.......

steve fedyk
06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
like the rock work. To finish the arch, may be tie it in with the back wall, like how you covered the over flow.

asylumdown
06-04-2014, 05:21 AM
Awesome build. Next tank I'm going to construct rock with rods exactly like that.

I think what you might not be liking is the way that arch is visually offsetting against the rock on the other side of the tank. Try to think in terms of photography and the rule of thirds. Take a picture of your tank with the rocks in it and place two equally spaced horizontal lines and two equally spaced vertical lines across the image and see how those rocks you've got in there are positioned relative to the lines and their intersections. You've got a really strong visual feature that spans the full height of your tank on the left and sort of cascades down, then over in the other corner there's this tall, narrow structure that is almost an inverse of what's happening on the left and doesn't really visually relate to anything.

Since you've got the ability and patience to make structures like that, your options are pretty much endless, but FWIW I've never really been in love with the idea of a classic arch in a tank. Between the mish mash of rocks that go in to building them, and the rods they need to be attached to, they always seem to end up looking like a pop-corn necklace. It's almost impossible to make them look like they belong. I've seen it work in tanks that have really big footprints in both length and width as the bases of the arches can be built up enough to make it all fit together with the rest of the scape, but it's a challenging shape to work with.

daplatapus
06-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, I think you have a point. I've heard and read of that rule of thirds in a couple aquascaping papers and threads I've looked through. For some reason it's harder to pull off in person, lol.
I am a little disappointed in the acrylic rods though. They're much softer and pliable than I thought they'd be. I used 1/2" rod, but even the pillar tended to want to sag to one side at the top, even though the rod ran basically straight through it. I had to epoxy and shim quite a few of the larger pieces for it to stand straight and be solid. The arch piece absolutely will not stand on it's own and needs to be supported on the end, even though I built it on a large platform foot that could take the off centre weight. I didn't take the time with it though, to fill in the cracks between the larger pieces because I could tell right away I wasn't going to like it, but wanted to get the basic structure in the tank to see it. It's not what I had envisioned.
You are absolutely correct in describing it as a pop-corn necklace. The base is definitely too small, but I already seem to have more rock in there than I wanted. Damn, maybe I need a bigger tank.....the wife would kill me :D

So, I need to reconsider the arch. I'll try and take a FTS, print it and divide it up like you said. Then see what I can do to re-arrange those pieces.

daplatapus
06-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Well, after sitting and looking at those structures a bit, I decided I really didn't like that arch where it was and that cutting more rock to make it look like it belongs was chasing my tail and probably was going to be wasting rock. So.... I decided to see what it would look like if I just switched the 2, placing the arch on the rock that was already cut on the left side and put the pillar on the right.
I have to say I like this way better and I think it just might work :)
I have yet to take a look at the FTS with an eye for thirds I'll see what I can do this weekend...

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-14082638_zps93f00cac.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-14082638_zps93f00cac.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-14082647_zpsa465e1bb.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-14082647_zpsa465e1bb.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-14082631_zpsfb3a47fd.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-14082631_zpsfb3a47fd.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-14082659_zpsb99fbe3f.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-14082659_zpsb99fbe3f.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-14083344_zps22008627.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-14083344_zps22008627.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-14083402_zps9cbba5c4.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-14083402_zps9cbba5c4.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-14083424_zpsbd70c367.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-14083424_zpsbd70c367.jpg.html)

Aquattro
06-14-2014, 04:08 PM
So. Dom. Ya puttin' water n there soon? :biggrin:

JDigital
06-14-2014, 04:39 PM
That scaping looks awesome! Nice job!

FishingGoalie
06-14-2014, 06:53 PM
I agree looks much better. Just a thought maybe you could put a few small rocks connecting the 2 rock structures on the bottom or make it have some sort of base? Maybe its just me

Looks really cool! :)

daplatapus
06-15-2014, 02:43 PM
So. Dom. Ya puttin' water n there soon? :biggrin:

Lol, I doubt it'll happen this summer, but I sure hope it'll have fish in it before the end of the year.

Thanks guys for the scape feedback, This new layout is definitely growing on me.

kien
06-15-2014, 03:10 PM
wow, that's a wicked structure you got there Dap.

asylumdown
06-16-2014, 01:49 AM
yah that's really awesome, I love it. Also, how on earth do you have the patience to sit looking at an aquascaped tank for months without putting water in it? I couldn't stand it!

Slyguy00
06-16-2014, 01:55 AM
That rock scape is killer! Cant wait to see it running!

daplatapus
06-16-2014, 02:06 AM
wow, that's a wicked structure you got there Dap.

Thanks man!

yah that's really awesome, I love it. Also, how on earth do you have the patience to sit looking at an aquascaped tank for months without putting water in it? I couldn't stand it!

Well to be honest, it's actually not patience. It's either having absolutely no time to work on it other than a half hour here, an hour there, or I haven't got a dime to proceed any further, lol. Lately, work has been killer busy, so I've been able to gather some stuff up, but no time to install or build it. Thankfully I have 2 other tanks running that keeps my interest. Although now (pics coming) now that I've completed another huge step, I think patience is going to be a necessity.

That rock scape is killer! Cant wait to see it running!
Thanks bud. I can't wait to see it running either. My original plan was to hook this tank up in tandem with my other 2 tanks, slowly move everything from my 77gal into it then shut the 77 down. But seeing how I apparently have AEFW in it, I picked up a 125 gal from Neoh so I'm going to build a new sump and get the 210 running all on it's own. Once it's up and running, I'll dip and QT all my SPS, making sure I don't transfer anything over. Then shut the 77 down and sell the old sump.

daplatapus
06-16-2014, 02:09 AM
Well, I had the afternoon to work on the tank! I finalized my rock work and got the face frames on the cabinet and the trim!!!!!! WOOHOOO! and DAMN, it looks good if I do say so myself. Now, I'm getting eager to see water in it.
So, without further ado..... here's how it sits as of tonight.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-15185122_zpsd96b823b.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-15185122_zpsd96b823b.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-15185141_zpse2e6dc52.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-15185141_zpse2e6dc52.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-15185157_zps12dcee6d.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-15185157_zps12dcee6d.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-06-15185102_zps077bab51.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-06-15185102_zps077bab51.jpg.html)

DAVE
06-16-2014, 02:12 AM
That looks awesome. You did a hell of a job

FishingGoalie
06-16-2014, 02:15 AM
Thats soooo sweet

daplatapus
07-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Tiny update, built a shelving unit downstairs under the tank to give at least a wee bit of assistance to the floor joists. An engineer buddy of mine ran the numbers and said I was good, but over built rarely hurts anybody :)

Got a pleasant surprise yesterday. I ordered one of these last week:
http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_30_33&products_id=161

My self discipline is severely lacking and water changes have not exactly been regular, so after reading a bunch on RC about daily water changes I decided to buy one of these pumps and control it with the Apex.
Anyway, I get a call from UPS asking if I have a customs broker or if I want them to do it. I've never been asked that before by UPS! Thankfully I've ordered a bunch of tools and equipment out of the states before and have an account set up with Summit custom's brokers in Van so that should save me a bit of money. Anyway, just surprised they called first rather than give me the bill at my door. They must be getting a lot of Canadians complain.

daplatapus
07-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Pump got delivered on Friday. I can't wait to get it set up.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-13093423_zps9aa36a10.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-13093423_zps9aa36a10.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-13093427_zps702fa2a5.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-13093427_zps702fa2a5.jpg.html)

asylumdown
07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
That thing is amazing! How is it going to work? If it's going to do automated changes for you every day, won't you still need to be super on top of making sure you've got a reservoir of mixed salt water on hand? How do you control it?

daplatapus
07-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to hooking it up and knowing I'm actually getting water changes done :)

I always have 30 gal of SW mixed and 30 gal of FW for top up in Brute cans. Because the pump has 2 heads and 1 motor, it takes out exactly the same as it puts back in. So my plan is to set the intake of the one head in the first chamber of my sump, where my drains are and the discharge in the drain. The other head will take water from my 30 gal SW can and will pump it into my final return chamber of the sump.
My initial plan is to change 1% a day for a total of 30% a month. There's a thread on RC that shows that accounting for pumping out new water with the old, you still end up changing about 28% volume. This particular pump is rated for 100 gpd change so I'll just do the math and control it via my Apex on one of the plugs on the EB8.
For starters, I'll just do it in a tub of normal water to make sure I have the water volumes right.
I will have to watch my SW reservoir vary carefully to make sure it doesn't empty, but the pump is actually rated to run dry so it won't hurt anything if it does, I just won't be doing any more water changes. My goal is to find a couple 60 gal containers so I have a bit more forgiveness.

asylumdown
07-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Do the lengths of pipe/head pressure in your inlet outlet lines need to be the same for it to always pump the exact same amount of water in and out, or are peristaltic pumps not as affected by that?

daplatapus
07-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Do the lengths of pipe/head pressure in your inlet outlet lines need to be the same for it to always pump the exact same amount of water in and out, or are peristaltic pumps not as affected by that?

My understanding is that it doesn't matter. Because of the roller running over the tube, it actually meters out a set volume each rotation regardless of the length of the intake or discharge. There is a bit of debate on RC about which model/manufacturer does this to the greatest accuracy, but I figure if I check my tank salinity every month when I re-fill my water change can, I can adjust anything if I need to.

They do sell a huge variety of these pumps, from I think 4 gal per day upwards. I bought the 100 gpd so I can do large water changes if I need to.

kien
07-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Whoa! That is one bad ass dosing pump!

daplatapus
07-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Well, like i don't have enough to do, i have embarked on making a true fish room for my tank. Until now my sump, water change station, reactors, pump, QT tanks etc have just kind of populated the centre of the unfinished portion of my basement.
I have always wanted to decrease the humidity in our home, so last summer i had traded a small piece of work equipment for a used HRV. I have also gotten a used 125 gal tank to make a new sump. So before i go and set all this stuff up, I've decided it will be much easier and no doubt safer for my tank, if i built this room, drywalled, taped and painted it before hand. The space I have available is 13' X 9 1/2'
What I'd really appreciated is some input on layout. I think the actual sump location is determined already because of where the piping is coming down out of the ceiling from the tank upstairs. The plumbing for a sink is also set in stone, but it could be piped a few more feet from it's current location. Once I draw it all up, I'll put it up here. But in the meantime, here's the rough blank slate:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-14172129_zpsc022c3f6.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-14172129_zpsc022c3f6.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-14172132_zps8a7fa1c5.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-14172132_zps8a7fa1c5.jpg.html)

daplatapus
07-15-2014, 02:33 PM
For better or worse:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/Sumproom_zpsd90d5637.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/Sumproom_zpsd90d5637.jpg.html)

daplatapus
07-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Another possible layout I played with this morning:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/Sumproom2_zpse3060ff6.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/Sumproom2_zpse3060ff6.jpg.html)

WarDog
07-17-2014, 03:42 PM
I prefer your second layout. The door in the first one would bother my pretty quickly. Planning as much on paper first will help a lot, but I'm sure you already know that! Looking good.

straightrazorguy
07-17-2014, 05:10 PM
The second layout looks good. The only change I would make would be to swap the RODI unit with the SW container. That way, the SW container would be closer to the sump, and the flow of water would be more natural.

Just my $ 0.02...

daplatapus
07-18-2014, 01:57 PM
I prefer your second layout. The door in the first one would bother my pretty quickly. Planning as much on paper first will help a lot, but I'm sure you already know that! Looking good.
Agree on all points, lol. I really didn't like the door either. I initially had it swinging the other way but I figured the chances of the door knob or something wacking the side of the sump was too great.
I TOTALLY agree with planning on paper first. I have a basement full of messy wires, plumbing, parts and pieces to prove what happens otherwise :)
The new layout does mean pumping the water to the 210 a few extra feet, but I think there's more than enough flow to handle it.

The only change I would make would be to swap the RODI unit with the SW container. That way, the SW container would be closer to the sump, and the flow of water would be more natural.

Great idea! I think I tried a similar version but thought it was too constricting in the corner and would have difficulty accessing the calcium reactor, but I re-worked it to include a corner counter. I think this will work better now.

Thanks for the input and support guys.
One thing I also want to include in this room somewhere, is a location for a frag/grow out tank so leaving the one end wall open works very well. So here's where I'm at now. Any other comments suggestions are more than welcome.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/Sumproom2_zps32cd6839.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/Sumproom2_zps32cd6839.jpg.html)

daplatapus
07-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Got a bit of time to work on the room over the weekend. Finished cleaning it all out and prepped for framing.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-20151540_zps80850e43.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-20151540_zps80850e43.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-20151547_zps7ad53887.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-20151547_zps7ad53887.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-20151557_zps96301808.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-20151557_zps96301808.jpg.html)

The floor is not all that smooth or level, but my ceiling height is only 6' 2" or so, so I won't be levelling it any. I do have a bunch of tile left over from another job, so I may end up tiling it, but that's it. And I got almost all my walls framed up. I still have to fir out the wall where the SW and FW tanks will sit, then run all my plumbing, wiring, insulation and vapour barrier.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-21063958_zps85aef857.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-21063958_zps85aef857.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-21063943_zps6904616a.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-21063943_zps6904616a.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-07-21063916_zpsbc1c0b2d.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-07-21063916_zpsbc1c0b2d.jpg.html)

daplatapus
07-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I've had a re-thought about my sump. My skimmer is external so I have gained a huge footprint area I can use for a fuge. My initial thoughts was to have a remote fuge but I'm quickly running out of room. I wanted a large sump to handle the water flow from a power outage. Amazing how much water all that piping and overflow can hold. Here's what I've come up with so far.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/Sumpsideprofile_zps636bc34a.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/Sumpsideprofile_zps636bc34a.jpg.html)

At the end of the fuge section I added a 6" baffle in case I ended up putting some sand or miracle mud or something in there. I am growing mangroves and would like something for them to root into eventually. I'm a little worried about flow through there being too much, so I am contemplating sectioning off that area and allowing at least a portion of the total flow to bypass the fuge.
Any thoughts?

Bblinks
07-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Looks awesome!

daplatapus
10-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Well, it's been a while for my updates. Bad news is I think I have the plague :(
Good news is it gives me a bit of time to actually work on this build.

I finally finished all my framing, most of the insulation, all the electrical rough in and plumbing rough in.
Next step I guess is to finish the insulation in the ceiling, vapour barrier everything off and start drywalling. Here's some pics I took this aft after finishing the plumbing rough-in.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-10-26160214_zps27786797.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-10-26160214_zps27786797.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-10-26160135_zps61e6ff04.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-10-26160135_zps61e6ff04.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-10-26160156_zps43351446.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-10-26160156_zps43351446.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-10-26160146_zps52f6eea7.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-10-26160146_zps52f6eea7.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-10-26160237_zps0ff42dc8.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-10-26160237_zps0ff42dc8.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-10-26160315_zps543f0f68.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-10-26160315_zps543f0f68.jpg.html)

Skimmerking
10-27-2014, 02:12 PM
looking good there DAP well done i love seeing the insulation going up its a job relieve lol

WarDog
10-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Looking good daplatapus! Are you planning regular drywall or the mold resistant kind?

I'm pretty sick as well, but I think mine is the Ebola. :crutch:

daplatapus
10-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys!
When I renovated my house, my buddy who drywalled my place used some weird drywall I'd never seen before in my bathroom. I had asked for blue board (the regular mould resistant stuff) and he had recommended this other type of drywall. I had just moved here from Alberta so I figured it was just some odd stuff they used down here and said, "Ya, whatever". It seems a bit harder than drywall, and almost felt like it had a grey, plasticky layer on the face side of it. And it has just the hair of a texture to it, so it's not flat and smooth like regular drywall. Anyway, this stuff is amazing around water.
I was thinking of using the same material. Although, it's probably overkill. I have a used HRV I plan on installing to vent the room and the hood above the tank. I also will be using the best bathroom primer and paint I can find and I have a few Marlite FRP panels (left over from jobs) I plan on installing around the sump and sink to protect those area's.

daplatapus
12-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Well, minor progress. Got the room all drywalled, taped and painted. Gonna finish some electrical today, and maybe start the bench for the sump.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-21141239_zps729ab079.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-21141239_zps729ab079.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-21141248_zpse1f5b328.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-21141248_zpse1f5b328.jpg.html)

Skimmerking
12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
lets go fella I have been waiting to see this upgrade mister :P

Aquattro
12-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Are we gonna see some water in a tank one day?? :)

daplatapus
12-23-2014, 01:36 PM
lets go fella I have been waiting to see this upgrade mister :P

Haha, not as much as I :) Work has just been killer busy this year. Time has been hard to come by.

Are we gonna see some water in a tank one day?? :)

Geez, I sure hope so.

WarDog
12-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Looks great daplatapus, so fresh and clean!

daplatapus
12-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Looks great daplatapus, so fresh and clean!

Thanks man, I hope I can keep it that way, lol.

More progress. I got all my hard wired electrical done. Anything within 6' of the sump is GFI'd. Split some of my plugs and switched them so I can turn stuff on and off easy like my return pumps, skimmer, Ca reactor, RO/DI booster and SW mixing station.
The sink is going to be replaced with something else. I may have a line on a used S.S. commercial sink/wash tray, so hopefully that'll pan out without breaking the bank. The 2" ABS drain line you see on the floor is actually going to my existing sump for when I do water changes. That'll eventually be run from the new sump and tight to the wall behind the SW and Fresh water tanks.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-23153513_zpsbbf3887d.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-23153513_zpsbbf3887d.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-23153501_zpsd49c4002.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-23153501_zpsd49c4002.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-23153541_zps73f8e2e4.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-23153541_zps73f8e2e4.jpg.html)

daplatapus
12-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Got my drawers built. Still missing the right glide for the lower left drawer (got 2 lefts instead of a right and a left) so that's why it looks a bit off kilter. Got the top doors mounted with the hold up hardware. Still have to spray all the doors, hopefully that'll happen this week.
Today I concentrate on plumbing the tank to sump and see if I can't get that done.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-29161618_zps62c87495.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-29161618_zps62c87495.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-29161640_zps4a9f9881.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-29161640_zps4a9f9881.jpg.html)

lastlight
12-30-2014, 05:19 PM
took me a while but i got caught up on your build and you've been BUSY! love how things are progressing. That metering pump is a great idea... no worrying about calibration drifting on two seperate dosing channels.

cute broom btw.

Skimmerking
12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
looking good buds

WarDog
12-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Your woodworking skills are amazing, that stand/cabinet is top notch!

daplatapus
12-31-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys! Helps knowing people are even reading this, lol :)

Got the rest of the doors on and all but the one drawer front. A bit cool on the island this week (-10 here this morning :scramble: brrrrrrr) and the only make up air for the spray booth exhaust in the shop I spray at is opening the door to outside. Sooo, probably not going to happen this week.

Also got all the plumbing upstairs done, now just have to deal with the fish room.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-30171709_zpsd0e0266f.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-30171709_zpsd0e0266f.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2014-12-30171724_zpsd38e9fe2.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2014-12-30171724_zpsd38e9fe2.jpg.html)

hillegom
12-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Just read the whole thread. Just awesome!
You have skills!
Following along, keep up the excellent work

wreck
12-31-2014, 03:15 AM
Wow awesome!!!

daplatapus
03-06-2015, 01:58 PM
So, I still don't have my doors painted, lol. We got them to my buddies shop and actually got them primed out with ClawLock. But he got married the weekend after that, and work has been off the wall so they've been hanging in his shop till now.
So a painter friend of mine was doing another kitchen door spray job and has agreed to finish my doors for me. Hopefully I'll get them back by next week and this thing will at least look finished on the outside.

Got home a wee bit early yesterday and was able to get the majority of my plumbing done on my mixing station. On my existing one, I'm not that crazy about the pipe I have filling/mixing the water in the SW tub. It's just a 3/4" line that goes in to about 4" off the bottom of the barrel then has a 45 degree elbow forcing water in a circular motion. It's ok, but no more than that. I found I don't get a whole lot of mixing with the top 1/3 of the barrel. And if I add salt too fast I get a big pile right in the middle of the barrel from the circular motion of the water.
SO.... I figured what I would try on this one is a pipe that goes down to roughly 4" or so from the bottom, again with a 45 degree elbow. Because of the slope of the top of my new barrels, the pipe actually goes from the top left side of the barrel to the bottom right side. I've pointed the elbow back towards the bottom centre of the drum and drilled a bunch of holes in a helical pattern all the way down the pipe. The hope is the water flowing through the holes in the pipe will create tons of turbulence in the barrel and will minimize any piling up of the salt in any one area. Only time will tell I guess :)

Anyway here's a couple pics of yesterday's adventure.

The helically drilled pipe. I did this on my drill press with the drill bit entering the pipe as far to one side as I could and not on centre. My hope is that this pattern will actually cause the water to spin out of the pipe, in essence creating a bit of a vortex in the barrel. However the angle of the pipe in the barrel, may counteract that effect...so I'm not sure, lol.
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-03-05%2017.22.17_zpstbvaq2so.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-03-05%2017.22.17_zpstbvaq2so.jpg.html)

The pipe installed in the barrel
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-03-05%2017.29.07_zpsh6zznliy.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-03-05%2017.29.07_zpsh6zznliy.jpg.html)

The finished product. I have an old Reefflo Dart that I've got hooked up to this thing. I may plug it into my Apex and have it turn on for a half hour a day to keep things aerated a bit. If anyone hasn't read the whole thread, I'll be doing automated, daily water changes via a big dual head dosing pump. Pics are back a few pages. That's what that extra little manifold is on the right side of the setup.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-03-05%2017.50.58_zps4rwsws0w.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-03-05%2017.50.58_zps4rwsws0w.jpg.html)

reefwithareefer
03-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Where did you find the Barr containers?
Love the build and great craftsmanship!

I am interested in the pump as well. How much water can it push with a high head?

daplatapus
03-07-2015, 02:01 AM
I picked up the containers directly from Barr plastics in Van.
Thanks for the compliment, all I can say is I try, sometimes it works, sometimes not - those I don't usually post pics of :)

Being a peristalic pump, I'd imagine it would probably push a long ways. It's not affected by head as a impeller pump is. There will only be a few feet of 1/4" tubing on each end of the pump, so not an issue for me. They did have the option of having 3/8 tubing, but for some reason I didn't clue into that until after it had shipped.

gregzz4
03-07-2015, 02:58 AM
Lookin' awesome Dom. You've been a busy boy

I like the spiral holes in your mixing tubes, and the cabinetry looks wonderful

Looks like your stuffed animals are busy too

I may have missed something but it looks like you have water in your DT ...
Are you cycling the rock ? Could just be my old eyes

daplatapus
03-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Thanks Greg. It's been a bits and pieces project. My wife's getting antsy though about me getting it finished. :)
There isn't any water in there yet. I think what you're seeing is the reflection of my other tanks across the room.
I just finished a lot of the plumbing in the fish room tonight so I took a video clip of it. I'll hopefully have it up in a few minutes.
Stay tuned :D

daplatapus
03-07-2015, 04:18 AM
SO here's the clip, excuse the monologue, I thought there should be some explanation of what's going on in my head. Let me know if there's anything I should consider.

http://youtu.be/95g3qkwYg-A

Hmmm, can we embed clips here?

WarDog
03-07-2015, 05:45 AM
Awesome video, with a very informative commentary! Room looks really good! Can't wait to see it all running. Not sure if those florescent lights look that yellow in person, but that would bug the hell out of me, lol!

daplatapus
03-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Hey Warren
Nope the room actually is very stark white. Not yellow at all. I took the clip with my phone so not the best quality for sure. My wife has plans on painting a sea scape floor :rolleyes: so that will no doubt change how that all looks when it's done.

Snappy
03-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Very nice, love the fish room and auto water changing set up.

gregzz4
03-07-2015, 07:42 PM
There isn't any water in there yet. I think what you're seeing is the reflection of my other tanks across the room.

What I saw in the pic is the dark tank so it looks like it's full

WarDog
03-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Hey Warren
Nope the room actually is very stark white. Not yellow at all. I took the clip with my phone so not the best quality for sure. My wife has plans on painting a sea scape floor :rolleyes: so that will no doubt change how that all looks when it's done.

Wow, that should look pretty cool when it's done, and quite unique!

I am in the middle of building a S/W mixing station myself. I like your helical design, I might just steal that. How do you plan to mount the heater inside the plastic tank?

daplatapus
03-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Wow, that should look pretty cool when it's done, and quite unique!

I am in the middle of building a S/W mixing station myself. I like your helical design, I might just steal that. How do you plan to mount the heater inside the plastic tank?

Thanks man, steal away any idea's :) I've stolen my share, lol

I actually was thinking of not pre-heating the water. I figured pumping 3 gallons over the course of an hour or so wouldn't have that big an effect on my 300 gal of water volume, so any pre-heating would just be a waste of energy. But i could be wrong...

daplatapus
03-08-2015, 01:36 AM
Very nice, love the fish room and auto water changing set up.

Thanks! I've been admiring your tank for a while. Once this thing is up and running for a while I'll be calling ya for some samplings :)

daplatapus
03-09-2015, 09:51 PM
MY DOORS ARE DONE!!!!!
pics to come.... :D :D :D :party: :party: :party:

daplatapus
03-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Ok, so I should have been working on my quotes, billing and crap, but I just couldn't stand it.
Installed the doors :)
My wife now wants fishy handles :rolleyes:
My kitchen is all 16" S.S. Bar handles, that's what I'd prefer... going to Nanaimo tomorrow for Dr's appointment, so we'll be picking something up, stay tuned

And without further adieux...

TADA!!!!
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-03-09%2016.26.59_zpsqppfy7oj.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-03-09%2016.26.59_zpsqppfy7oj.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-03-09%2016.27.21_zps6njjvra9.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-03-09%2016.27.21_zps6njjvra9.jpg.html)

flipzed
03-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Looking good Dom.... filler up now :)

WarDog
03-10-2015, 12:05 AM
Looks amazing! Are you worried about the direct sunlight?

Aquattro
03-10-2015, 12:07 AM
Looks amazing! Are you worried about the direct sunlight?

Mine gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight, I think it colors up the corals a bit better on that side :)

WarDog
03-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Mine gets about 3 hours of direct sunlight, I think it colors up the corals a bit better on that side :)

I guess in Dom's case that could be good. That corner looks like it'll be pretty shaded from the displays lighting.

daplatapus
03-10-2015, 01:07 AM
Ya, I wasn't sure how the direct light might affect it, but I bet it's less than an hour so, so I wasn't going to fret it.
I have no lights in the hood yet, but I'm getting closer :)

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Spec-freakin-tacular bud :wink:

DCDN
03-10-2015, 03:57 AM
Those look great

daplatapus
03-10-2015, 04:16 AM
Thanks guys, feeling pretty good so far with how it's all coming together.

reefwithareefer
04-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Really nice job with everything. I have direct sunlight on my tank for about 4 hrs. Just makes a little more cleaning at this point.

reeferfulton
04-13-2015, 02:56 AM
great job. that looks so clean !!

daplatapus
04-22-2015, 12:42 AM
Minor update...
Got my electric float switches in the mail the other day for my water change station. Had some time today to get a few last things buttoned up. Float switches installed in both barrels. In the FW barrel to the left they will control the RO/DI coming on and off via an Apex break out box. Then in the SW barrel the high one will kick out the pump filling the barrel from the FW barrel and the lower one will kick out my Stenner pump from doing anymore water changes. I'm also thinking of setting up an alarm on the Apex if that ever happens, to alert me I need to re-fill my SW.
I still need to wire all that up, but I'll work on that while the tank is cycling etc. I also just painted that board on the wall between the FW barrel and the sink. That's where I'm hanging my RO/DI system.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-21%2017.15.54_zpsnwpctf3t.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-21%2017.15.54_zpsnwpctf3t.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-21%2017.12.47_zpspz5q95ty.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-21%2017.12.47_zpspz5q95ty.jpg.html)

Automatic water change Stenner pump installed and piped.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-21%2017.15.16_zps3cfqizlw.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-21%2017.15.16_zps3cfqizlw.jpg.html)

And the sump with pumps installed and ready:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-21%2017.12.58_zpsmtogmzoz.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-21%2017.12.58_zpsmtogmzoz.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-21%2017.15.37_zpsifaj38lx.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-21%2017.15.37_zpsifaj38lx.jpg.html)

And finally a buddy was driving by a large retail outlet and saw all their display shelving and tables outside so he thought that was strange. Went in and asked, turned out they were replacing everything and were throwing all the old ones out!!! So he picked up several truck loads of shelving and 3 tables. I talked him out of one of them :D
Plan is to set up my QT tanks and gear on it.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-21%2017.16.21_zpsezypebns.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-21%2017.16.21_zpsezypebns.jpg.html)

Looks like this baby will get wet by the end of the week :biggrin: :mrgreen: :bounce: :Banane30: :Banane40:

WarDog
04-22-2015, 12:47 AM
Water soon!?! Can't wait, looks awesome and the shelving is a good score!

daplatapus
04-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Got my RO/DI system moved over this aft

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-25%2014.55.34_zpsjxbi7yvt.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-25%2014.55.34_zpsjxbi7yvt.jpg.html)

Uhmmmm I'm thinking I may have neglected my filter change a bit too long :(

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-25%2013.52.48_zpsh2lhaw6q.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-25%2013.52.48_zpsh2lhaw6q.jpg.html)

And we're making water !!!!!!! This may take a while, lol

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-25%2014.55.26_zps7xwqxjth.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-25%2014.55.26_zps7xwqxjth.jpg.html)

WarDog
04-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Congrats Dom! Mounted filter looks awesome, nice work!
So you should have all your water made in 4 days? Lol.

daplatapus
04-25-2015, 11:23 PM
Lol, I figure 3 at least. My system I think is 100 gpd and I figure I need 300 gal

daplatapus
04-27-2015, 04:23 AM
160 gallons down, 150 or so to go. Made 100 gallons of SW and pumped it all into the sump. Moved the other 60 gal FW into the SW barrel so the RODI can run over night.
30 hours in of making water so far. Wife is getting sick of listening to the booster pump, lol.
At this rate, I'll probably fire it all up Wed night

daplatapus
04-27-2015, 02:54 PM
40 hrs in - 230 gallons...

Aquattro
04-27-2015, 02:59 PM
so exciting!! :)

daplatapus
04-27-2015, 05:47 PM
so exciting!! :)

Roger that!!! I was almost thinking I'd never see the day.

daplatapus
04-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Final double check of all piping - Check!
Final cleaning of inside of tank - Check!
Final obligatory photo of me in tank (and hopefully last time I have to go in the tank)- Check!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-27%2015.09.10_zpsdz7pwt2h.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-27%2015.09.10_zpsdz7pwt2h.jpg.html)

Aquattro
04-28-2015, 12:09 AM
put the damn water in already!!! lol

daplatapus
04-28-2015, 12:50 AM
ROFL, I don't have enough water yet!!! Hahahaha :D

lockrookie
04-28-2015, 02:52 AM
Dude it's been like two years since I bought those overflows from you. You have the patience of in believable proportions

WarDog
04-28-2015, 04:53 AM
Is this some kind of rare Tang?

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-27%2015.09.10_zpsdz7pwt2h.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-27%2015.09.10_zpsdz7pwt2h.jpg.html)

Scythanith
04-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Silver-sided Tang I think ;)

reefwars
04-28-2015, 02:11 PM
My question is how the hell did you get in there lol or better yet did you ever get out?:mrgreen:

Looks good buddy I'm with everyone else.......put the darn water in lol

daplatapus
04-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Dude it's been like two years since I bought those overflows from you. You have the patience of in believable proportions

LOL, I know. It actually has seemed like an eternity. But the one concession I had to make with my wife to allow me to go ahead with this build was that I never use my credit card to buy anything. So I had to build it as time and funds allowed.

Is this some kind of rare Tang?

Silver-sided Tang I think ;)

Lol. Thank goodness no one thought it was a species of Cocos Batfish:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/batfish_1832885i_zps9tf7gnz9.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/batfish_1832885i_zps9tf7gnz9.jpg.html)

My question is how the hell did you get in there lol or better yet did you ever get out?:mrgreen:

Looks good buddy I'm with everyone else.......put the darn water in lol

It was a bit of a feat, but I couldn't reach a few places I really wanted to clean. My wife actually has a video of me trying to get out, but I made her put the camera down and help me, lol. It took me almost 15 min of trying before I got the right leg lift, elbow down, hip sway combo :D

I have enough water now!!!!! But I have to work today, and I'm busy tonight, so not sure it's going to happen today or not :( At the latest, it'll happen tomorrow night

Reef Pilot
04-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Lol. Thank goodness no one thought it was a species of Cocos Batfish:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/batfish_1832885i_zps9tf7gnz9.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/batfish_1832885i_zps9tf7gnz9.jpg.html)

Geez, now you are going to have a bunch of canreefers calling their lfs to order one in... lol.

daplatapus
04-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Lol!

We have water going in the tank!!!!

daplatapus
04-28-2015, 11:31 PM
Well, it lives!!!!!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-28%2014.37.32_zpscmrhwwc6.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-28%2014.37.32_zpscmrhwwc6.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-28%2014.37.56_zpsllvtrmt5.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-28%2014.37.56_zpsllvtrmt5.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-28%2015.05.39_zpsbazoyjbl.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-28%2015.05.39_zpsbazoyjbl.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-28%2016.22.56_zpsjbfz2bhx.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-28%2016.22.56_zpsjbfz2bhx.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-04-28%2016.23.07_zpsnjjkrwo3.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-04-28%2016.23.07_zpsnjjkrwo3.jpg.html)

Aquattro
04-29-2015, 12:22 AM
wohoo!!

hillegom
04-29-2015, 12:38 AM
Looking good
Always nice to see new start

Bblinks
04-29-2015, 01:38 AM
Yaaaaaahoooooo!!!!!!

daplatapus
05-03-2015, 02:34 PM
So I'm sure to everyone's chagrin, I'm starting this baby up totally wrong, lol. All dry Marco rock, dead shrimp and all :D

3 frozen prawns were chucked in there Wed. They are at the point now of falling apart and disintegrating. Checked ammonia levels with an out of date crappy Hagen kit. Says it's somewhere around .3.
Nitrite and nitrate are both 0 still.
For giggles I checked PO4, Thurs it was at .06 ppm so I put in roughly 30 drops of Phozdown. Yesterday checked it again and it was at .1 ppm. Looks like PO4 is leaching from the dry rock and sand. So I dosed another 30-40 drops. No lights or anything yet on the tank so I figure what can it hurt. I'll try and get the PO4 down before I do much with it.

reefwithareefer
05-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Really nice looking setup and I am sure all will be good.

WarDog
05-04-2015, 04:28 PM
It's all looking very impressive Dom! Have you finalized your stocking plans?

daplatapus
05-05-2015, 01:55 PM
It's all looking very impressive Dom! Have you finalized your stocking plans?

Thanks man! Stocking plans... no, not finalized yet. Right now I have in my main 77 gal DT:
- a yellow tang
- a flame angel
- a Starry blennie
- a pink spotted goby
- a single Ocellaris clown (his mate died, pretty sure the tang was the killer)
- bi-colour pseudo-chromis (Been trying to catch this sucker to give away for a couple months now) he is NOT going in the 210
- a RBTA
- a clam - no idea what kind - came in as a rescue

In my 20 gal cube I have:
- a yellow watchman Goby and pistol shrimp combo
- 2 blue/green chromis
- several maxi-mini anemone's

In my 50 gal rescue tank I have:
- another blue/green chromis
- a mated pair of True Percula clowns
- a purple dottyback
- a skunk cleaner shrimp
- a banded coral shrimp
- another maxi-mini anemone

I'm pretty open to moving all those into the 210. Although there has been some bad blood in the past between certain fish - hence the multiple tanks, lol.
The YWG doesn't get along with the Starry blenny - although he didn't have the pistol shrimp with him at the time.
The pink spotty goby stole the YWG's pistol shrimp, leaving him out in the cold.
And the bi-colour pseudochromis will kill my shrimp. So he's gone - not even a question.

I love the shrimp - I'd have several more in my tank if I can.

Wish list:
I know my tank is really pushing it but I would like both a sail fin tang and a blonde Naso. Any thoughts as to long term success with these two with the current list would be appreciated. There's NOT a lot of rock in my DT - so a fair bit of swimming room.

I would also like to add 5 or 7 Lyretail anthias. Now I'm not entirely certain this was the one I wanted. I have to do a bit more research. I was in J&L once last summer and saw the anthias I wanted. The scales were clearly visible, almost crosshatch looking.

Anyway, that's about it. Thoughts and comments always welcome

daplatapus
05-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Pretty stoked right now :D

I finally got my lights finished, Jarduino controller finished and lights hung :party:

As mentioned a while back, I went with pocket door rails and wheels. That allows me to push the lights back on the rails to work in the tank.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2008.48.54_zpsdqmsh8fm.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2008.48.54_zpsdqmsh8fm.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2008.49.09_zps4i4z3fr7.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2008.49.09_zps4i4z3fr7.jpg.html)

One fixture up:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.06.35_zps8isbughr.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.06.35_zps8isbughr.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.01.03_zpsnauxnfjg.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.01.03_zpsnauxnfjg.jpg.html)

daplatapus
05-10-2015, 04:57 PM
So right now that puts my lights around 12" off the water. I do have some short pieces of ready rod and couplers to drop the lights if I need/want to.

3 fixtures up:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.25.51_zps5neq7444.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.25.51_zps5neq7444.jpg.html)

daplatapus
05-10-2015, 05:00 PM
And drum roll please: :drum: (I know that's not a drum roll, but it was the closest I could find,lol)

daplatapus
05-10-2015, 05:04 PM
LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!!!!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.44.17_zpsrdiumgcq.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.44.17_zpsrdiumgcq.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.45.28-1_zpsoilhmevm.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.45.28-1_zpsoilhmevm.jpg.html)

End view:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.44.40_zpsihi8z5n1.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.44.40_zpsihi8z5n1.jpg.html)

And with the doors open:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.45.57_zpslzm2corz.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.45.57_zpslzm2corz.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-10%2009.46.11_zpsqbcujzed.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-10%2009.46.11_zpsqbcujzed.jpg.html)

Pretty happy with the results thus far :)

Aquattro
05-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Nice!

WarDog
05-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Stunning!

daplatapus
05-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked with how it's come out.

Cycle seems to be slow, lol. 3 full size frozen prawns were put in there on April 29th. They are all but gone. I've ghost fed the tank a couple times as well with Mysis. Here's the parameters so far:
NH3 - is down to zero - API test - it has been up to .6
NO2 - is zero - API test - has never read anything
NO3 - is zero - API test - has never read anything

PO4 - continues to be present - Hanna checker - I've had it down to as little as .06ppm but typically sits around .1 - .12 ppm despite dosing roughly 30-40 drops of Fozdown per day. 100% dry rock so I pretty much expected this. I may increase fozdown dosing to 30 drops 2X a day. I've also kept my lights off to help prevent anything from taking hold in the first place.

I had also noted when filling my tank that one of my pumps isn't working correctly. I am using 2 Wavelike DC1200 pumps. Many moons ago, I bought these pumps for this build. It was soon discovered by others that the controller would burn out so RLSS sent me and FragitDan new controllers. I've not had a chance to test any of them out till now. Well I stuck one of the old controllers on one pump (seeing how it was brand new) and a new controller on the other. Well, the older controller out performed the new by at least 2-3X the volume. I was barely getting anything out of the new controller controlled pump. I switch through all the new controllers and they were all the same. I'm pushing almost 14' of head so a weak pump for me might as well be a dead pump.
I contacted RLSS and they got back to me within a few days and said to send them the serial numbers of the controllers and my shipping address.
They contacted me again and said new controllers were on their way. So I'm pretty happy about that.

I've read of guys using Microbacter7 and similar products. Does that work effectively? If I dumped a bottle in there, would that speed up the cycling process? Any other recommendations?

daplatapus
05-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Small cycle update.
PO4 has started to really drop. The last week it's been declining steadily with a .04 ppm reading this morning. I'll continue dosing Fozdown at 30 drops every 12 hours for now.

NH3 continues to be at undetectable levels. I added another couple frozen silversides 3 days ago and it has remained unchanged - that's a good sign I'd say

NO3 and NO2 levels have also remained at zero - so Hmmmmm - not sure what's going on there...

I'm not running a skimmer on the new tank yet, no lights, no filter socks, no water changes.

daplatapus
05-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Well I either have a dud test kit or API sucks, lol. I have a Salifert NO3 test kit but had lost the colour reference chart so I hadn't tried it. API has always said 0.
So a question for you other API testers: Do you look through the vial top down or through the side????

I also found a ELOS NO3 kit tucked in behind a bunch of other stuff as I was setting up my QT for my wrasses coming in tonight. And it turned out I was using the back of the Salifert colour chart for my Hanna phosphate reagent funnel :D

Both the Elos and Salifert tested around 100ppm NO3 in my cycling 210 gal tank. API (looking through the side of the vial) still says 0 :(

So, water change is going to happen today or tomorrow and we'll see where we stand...

daplatapus
05-22-2015, 04:21 AM
1 male and 2 female Carpenters Wrasses officially in QT and doing good so far...
I didn't realize though how dog gone small the females would be.

gregzz4
05-22-2015, 05:48 AM
1 male and 2 female Carpenters Wrasses officially in QT and doing good so far...
I didn't realize though how dog gone small the females would be.

I had the exact same problem with our Carpenter's Flasher's
I bought a Male full size and the female is only about 1.5 inches. Next day she was dead.

Good luck with your critters.

daplatapus
05-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Ya, I imagine they're pretty delicate when that small. Looks like I lost one over night. The smallest of them. I doubt she was barely an inch long. RIP
The other 2 look ok so far...

Myka
05-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Wow that's tiny!

daplatapus
05-23-2015, 02:56 AM
Ya, almost unbelievably tiny. Came home tonight after work and the other female had also succumbed to the rigours it probably has gone through over the last couple weeks. :(

The male however seems to be doing great. He's been fed 3x today and has eaten like a pig.

Myka
05-23-2015, 02:11 PM
I'd be ****ed if they sent me fish that small without warning. I warned you about buying wrasses unseen. It sucks that you probably don't have another option.

daplatapus
05-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately, living where I do, 90% of my fish are bought unseen.
I've been in J&L while a new person was being trained and I discreetly shadowed them a bit as they were talking in the isle. And it's actually one of the things that kind of impressed me with their on line sales. The one girl mentioned to the newbie that because the people who are ordering either over the phone or online can't see the exact fish they're buying, to be sure to take the time to catch and give the best specimens that they currently have in stock. People who come to the store can either choose to purchase or refuse any particular fish, but not online sales.

If that's how they're teaching new employees to treat online sales, I'm good. I would have liked to have been notified they were THAT small, but I can understand how that detail might slip through some cracks.

I did contact them via e-mail as soon as I got home and found the second deceased fish (so roughly 24 hrs) and they contacted me back within an hour or so apologizing and saying if I e-mailed them a pic of the dead fish they'll credit my account. While it still sucks for the fish :( , as a customer they still have my business. And it's also educated me a bit to maybe ask a few more questions before I get them to bag and ship livestock for me.

daplatapus
05-28-2015, 12:03 AM
Well, I think tonight's the night things are going to get started moved over. I've done several large water changes over the last couple days, NO3 is down to 1 ppm. How many fish do ya'll think I can move over safely into 300 gallons of water that has finished cycling and has had MB7 dosed everyday and ghost fed for almost a week now...?

gregzz4
05-28-2015, 02:03 AM
I don't know your total load Dom so can't say myself, but with that volume of water I'd say you could go with the standard 'a bunch' and watch the params for 3-5 days. Then if all is good after 2 weeks do another 'bunch'.

Or you could just toss 'em all in at once and spend the next month testing the primary 3, major WCs/dosing MB7 etc.
Depends on how much time you want to spend controlling NH3 and so on. And as I said I don't know your current load awaiting release.

A plus to adding everyone at once will of course be the lessening of squabbles.

daplatapus
05-28-2015, 02:36 AM
I have 3 tanks running (not including QT's, lol) and I'd like to shut 2 down over the next week. The small cube only has a yellow watchman goby/ pistol shrimp combo and 2 green chromis.
The other tank I'd like to shut down has 2 true percula clowns, a green chromis and a purple dotty back. Also in there is a skunk cleaner and coral banded shrimp. That's it.
So that would ba a total of 7 small fish and 3 shrimp.

My main tank is going to wait till I get a few other fish through QT and they'll all go together. A bunch of tangs and such. But that'll be a couple months down the road.

Aquattro
05-28-2015, 03:00 AM
I'd have no concerns adding all those at once. Have 50g new water made just in case, but should be ok

gregzz4
05-28-2015, 03:16 AM
If it were me, I'd toss all those aforementioned fish into the 300 right now so I could shut those tanks down, but I'd transfer the shrimps to another 'holding tank/s' until the NH3 is gone. Shrimps won't take any NH3 like fish will.
I wouldn't expect to see any NH3 in a system of your size, but no problem being safe, ya ?

The # of fish you listed is a drop in the bucket for your tank size. But, keep up with your MB7 and testing. If you forget 'cause it's been awhile, Ammo can sneak up on you fast. It'll burn critters within hours so be very diligent.
If you're nervous, extra aeration helps the fish, and lots of testing is a must :surprise:
I use an Ammo Alert in my QT and it's helped tons while I'm running hypo. Each time I see NH3 trying to climb I add a bit of Seachem AmGuard ('cause I already own it) and it works wonders. This allows me time to setup a WC and test NO2/NO3.

I say dump those fish in and enjoy !

And don't forget to snap some pics !!

daplatapus
05-28-2015, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys. I pretty much figure it was negligible fish load for the volume. I definitely keep an eye on the nitrate and Ammonia. I've got 100 gallons of water made and waiting and I have a big bottle of Amquel.

Here's the wrasse in QT. I'm doing the TTM and he's on round 3. Eating great and already looking at me through the glass saying "what you looking at!?"

Crappy phone pics

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-27%2019.10.25_zpsccqu3rza.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-27%2019.10.25_zpsccqu3rza.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-27%2021.22.28_zpssy0ajca8.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-27%2021.22.28_zpssy0ajca8.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-27%2021.31.13_zpsdtzehigh.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-27%2021.31.13_zpsdtzehigh.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-05-27%2021.31.29_zps1zjix0au.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-05-27%2021.31.29_zps1zjix0au.jpg.html)

gregzz4
05-28-2015, 04:42 AM
Are they in the tank yet ? :biggrin:

daplatapus
05-28-2015, 04:53 AM
Yup, everyone's in there. Half are hiding, lol. I had a bugger of a time with the purple dotty dottyback and the Chromis. I'll see if I can getter better pics tomorrow when the lights aren't so blue.

gregzz4
05-28-2015, 04:56 AM
Yeah !!!

Happy critters in your new tank day Dom !!! :mrgreen:

PS: Love your Carpenters, we have one too (for now):biggrin:

daplatapus
05-29-2015, 02:01 PM
https://youtu.be/sLnJnFMIPUQ

Aquattro
05-29-2015, 02:09 PM
I hate to always be that guy, pointing out the obvious, but for this to a be a reef tank, you kinda need corals...

hehehe

Reef Pilot
05-29-2015, 02:17 PM
https://youtu.be/sLnJnFMIPUQ
Nice. Where did you get the music from?

daplatapus
05-29-2015, 02:18 PM
I hate to always be that guy, pointing out the obvious, but for this to a be a reef tank, you kinda need corals...

hehehe

Lol, ya ya, it's coming.

Nice. Where did you get the music from?

It's actually some stock music youtube gives. First time I've ever added music to a video clip. Works pretty good and beats hearing my wife yelling at me to come for supper :D

Reef Pilot
05-29-2015, 02:21 PM
It's actually some stock music youtube gives. First time I've ever added music to a video clip. Works pretty good and beats hearing my wife yelling at me to come for supper :D

Yeah, I thought it might be that. But which one? What is the name of the song/artist?

daplatapus
05-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Oh, sorry. It is by Huma-Huma and the song is called Eureka. It's under the Ambient category.

Reef Pilot
05-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Oh, sorry. It is by Huma-Huma and the song is called Eureka. It's under the Ambient category.
Thanks, I like it. Might use it for some of my flying vids.

daplatapus
05-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Brief update, my QT'ing male Carpenters wrasse has finally started eating pellets the last day or two. :D

Last round of TTM happening right now, should be finished Tuesday morning...

daplatapus
06-02-2015, 04:19 AM
Diatoms are showing up good now. Here's another little clip from tonight. Diatoms are definitely more visible than in the clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exEo3ns_kg

Got my Reef Octopus RODC 3500s skimmer pump today. Thanks Ray! It doesn't match the skimmer body input tube - but I knew that. Nothing I had on hand fit the 32mm thread on the pump. By dumb chance I happened to notice a piece of thin wall, non pressure rated 1/2 PVC I had laying there. Turns out it fits perfectly inside the pump housing and inside the input tube of the skimmer. And the inside of the pipe diameter is still larger than the inside of the pump volute discharge. :D The total run from pump to skimmer body is less than 6" so I'm not even worried I might lose any flow.
Ran it in the sink for an hour or so with vinegar, another hour with fresh water, then into the sump it went. We'll see if it produces any skimate by morning...

daplatapus
06-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Been a while since my last update. The male carpenters has been doing great in the DT. I also bought 4 female and 1 male Lyre tail anthia's from a newish retailer on the mainland. (not sure if I'm allowed to mention him, don't think he's a sponsor :( ) They are awesome specimens!
QT went great. Went through a full TTM regimen. Put them in the DT on Fri and they've adjusted really well.

Here's a couple pics in the QT:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-06-19%2007.01.14_zpsnji1xipi.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-06-19%2007.01.14_zpsnji1xipi.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-06-19%2007.01.47_zpsud3bexv1.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-06-19%2007.01.47_zpsud3bexv1.jpg.html)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-06-19%2007.02.10_zpsefjzshlp.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-06-19%2007.02.10_zpsefjzshlp.jpg.html)

And how they look in the DT :)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/2015-06-28%2009.55.35_zpss4agvruv.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/daplatapus/media/2015-06-28%2009.55.35_zpss4agvruv.jpg.html)

daplatapus
06-28-2015, 07:12 PM
And a little clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7D8z8iEQM

Myka
06-28-2015, 07:22 PM
They look awesome - one of my favs!

WarDog
06-28-2015, 10:06 PM
Awesome looking Lyretails Dom! I was looking at those very ones at 'unnamed suppliers' house a few weeks back, lol. Nice specimens!

Bblinks
06-29-2015, 12:39 AM
Very nice Dom. I want to see that thing full of Sps! :biggrin:

reefwithareefer
07-01-2015, 04:25 AM
Really nice work...

daplatapus
08-06-2015, 03:09 AM
Hmmm, I didn't realize that I hadn't updated this since the seal blow out on my 77 gal and had to make an emergency swap of most of the live stock into the 210. Well, let's just say there's a bit more going on in there now. I'm just waiting for youtube to load up a clip and I'll post it.