PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it's time to replace a fish tank?

Kit with Cat
08-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Hey guys,
Just wondering if there's a rule of thumb as to when it is a good time to replace a fish tank. I bought mine second hand, and have been using it for almost 5 years. The silicone adhesive is starting to peel when I scrape the glass near the corners of the tank, though that's about it.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

lockrookie
08-11-2012, 04:59 AM
you dont nessesarily need to replace the tank you can re seal it if you are concerned...but to drain and sustain your livestock without losses could be difficult while doing so.. personally i would take the opportunity to upgrade to a new tank and move everything over same size or larger. you dont nessesarily need to rush doing so but start saving and maybe have one custom made to your exact specs. but thats just me you have to do whats right and affordable for you.

Kit with Cat
08-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Is it possible that the adhesive holding the glass together just give out and the whole fish tank ends up on my floor?

lockrookie
08-11-2012, 05:12 AM
possible but not likely water will find the weakest point and the tank will begin to leak before it falls apart. ive had a tank spring a leak of course in themiddleof the night murphys law... the silicone you se in the corners is not the only thing holding the tank together it help definately but the glass pieces are also stuck together on the seams to hold the peices together.. trust me i have taken enough tanks apart to know its can be difficult to separate them. as i say my view is this if you have cause for concern be concerned and dont ignore it either buy some tubs drainn the tank reseal the corners once cured refill (preferably add new sand) and your good to go. or if you have scratches and other things you dislike with current tank use itas a good excuse to findyour watery riends a new home get new tank built/set up and transfer your water(preferably new sand) to new tank and rock and your good to go.

Leah
08-11-2012, 09:47 AM
It is time to get a new tank when you have more water on the floor then in the tank.

jus68
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Don't know if this comment will help. But my dad has had his 60 gal freshwater tank for over 25 years and it never leaked and he never had to reseal or tamper with the silicon. He recently just shut her down because of downsizing.

Ross
08-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I started out using my uncles aquarium. That aproximatly 10 gallon tank was over 40 years old and never resealed. I ended up scrapping it due to my fears that it would catastrophically fail.