PDA

View Full Version : Keeping different shrimp in same tank

Coralgurl
08-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Wondering if mixing different shrimp in the same tank is ok. I have 2 cleaners and a fire shrimp, need some peppermints to battle aptasia. My fire shrimp stays on one side of the tank, cleaners on the other. Thoughts?

Bblinks
08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
180 gallon right? I say go for it. peppermints wont be seen much during the day so if you don't see them for the first little bit its not a big deal. I have always kept shrimp in pairs or a single specimen but never an odd number.

Coralgurl
08-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks! I wasn't even sure if my fire shrimp was still alive as I haven't seen it in weeks, but found him yesterday. He's been ok by himself, have had him for almost a year.

Ya it's a 180, lots of room. I'm thinking of getting 2 peppermints as the aptasia is spreading but I can only see about 5, I'm sure there's more.

Bblinks
08-10-2012, 06:12 PM
No problem. peppermints are a hit and miss with aiptasia but you can always try them. See if you can find some aiptasia eating burgerias near your area, they seem to work better. Make sure you do pass them on after since they only specialize in aiptasia. Good luck.

Coralgurl
08-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I will see what I can find today. I had a peppermint that did demolish some I had in my other tank, but he's been Mia for a while now.

spit.fire
08-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I put I peppermint in my tank about a year ago, never once seen him until about a week ago but mine never touched aiptasia as far as I could tell.

From my experience the only shrimp that you don't want to mix is coral banded shrimp as they can be hit or miss towards other shrimp

Mine killed a harlequin, and it's mate (they were together for about 4 months)

Although I have had a coral banded with a skunk cleaner but they were in an 8' long tank and probably never seen each other as they stuck to opposite sides of the tank

Aysha
08-10-2012, 07:10 PM
+1 on the coral bandit :p

Yes I think they should be renamed.
Mine ate 2 peppermints in as many days and blamed it on my pistol shrimp.
After he ate 3 shrimp and a number of small inverts He tried to go after MY ADULT CLOWN FISH.I decided he needed to go away. He now lives at the bottom of Red coral Edmontons eel tank.

They look amazing but they are the biggest jerks.

I've had a sexy shrimp in the same tank for about 6 months. Neatest little guys.

dc4
08-10-2012, 07:15 PM
I find that my peppermint steals too much food from all the lps in my tank. Gets kinda annoying trying to fend off the shrimp all the time when trying to target feed them.

Bblinks
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Sorry should've clearified that I was talking about different kind of cleaners. I feed heavy in my tank so those shrimps don't really work too hard...

Aysha
08-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Well it's good information to have anyway. I've kept different types of cleaners in my tank with no issue other than the non cleaners being jerks.