PDA

View Full Version : Problem in my basement, may need to tear down my setup

Sumfingwong
08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Last year, when my wife and I finished our basement reno. We discovered a foundation leak, luckily we did not have the carpet installers come in yet. The condo board had to hire a contractor to come over and rip out our brand new painted drywall :cry:.

After they fixed it, the carpet was installed, and my new setup was off to the races. Fast forward a year, and my setup is running the way I want it. All my rocks have coraline, no nuisance algae, fish and corals are happy.

BOOM, my carpet was damp, baseboards soaked. I checked the area where the foundation leak was, and it was damp. Condo board sent a different contractor (he actually lives in my townhouse complex) and now they need to dig out the side of my house and rip apart my basement.

The area they need to fix is right where my setup is. I have been contemplating if I should try and empty the tank and slide it over. The stand is sitting on a big piece of plywood wrapped in plastic. However, even with the water out, the rock, tank, stand and equipment alone is HEAVY!

What would you guys do? Even if I move the tank over, I have to contend with dust from the drywall, and whatever else they need to do to fix this problem. They will need to inspect the underlay to see if there is any mold.

As of right now, I feel like ripping everything apart and selling it. Since we have been shopping for house #2, maybe its a good idea to sell off everything and start over.

Thoughts?

Enigma
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Hmm. I would probably try to split the system into a number of smaller systems, and spread them throughout the main living areas of the home. Not only will there be dust in the basement, there will probably be chemicals in use, too.

If you decide to leave the system in the basement, talk with the contractor before hand. Find out where he would need it moved to. You don't want to move it somewhere it will be in the way and they'll still wind up having to work around it. The contractor is probably going to need quite a bit of room to work. Tool storage and whatnot could potentially spill over into other rooms.

Do you have a build thread? How big is the system? What is it stocked with?

Sumfingwong
08-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Hmm. I would probably try to split the system into a number of smaller systems, and spread them throughout the main living areas of the home. Not only will there be dust in the basement, there will probably be chemicals in use, too.

If you decide to leave the system in the basement, talk with the contractor before hand. Find out where he would need it moved to. You don't want to move it somewhere it will be in the way and they'll still wind up having to work around it. The contractor is probably going to need quite a bit of room to work. Tool storage and whatnot could potentially spill over into other rooms.

Do you have a build thread? How big is the system? What is it stocked with?

Thanks for the info, I thinking about breaking it down into different systems. I just dont think its worth the time and effort right now. Maybe because im just ****ed off about the whole situation haha.

my current setup:

- 5ft tank, it works out to around 150g
- 80g sump
- 2 Radion LED lights. Both have been replaced under warranty, 1 is brand new, 2nd one has only been running for about a month
- 2 Vortech MP40W
- 150ish lbs of LR (90% is eco rocks)
- a green bubble tip anemone that split into 5 over time within a year
- some zoas
- blue throat trigger, yellow tang, kole tang, chromis, wrasse (not sure which type), some shrimp, snails, hermits.. etc..

What I was thinking about doing was, sell off all my livestock, tank, stand and sump. See if we buy a new house, start over and have Dave build me a new tank stand and sump (something bigger :) )

or

Sell everything off and enjoy the nice cash injection? I have been bugging the wife about a new car and retire my truck to offroading haha

HaZRaTTy
08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
That sucks, sorry to hear about the problems.

I personally would first try to find a babysitter for your live stock. If that wasn't able to I would then try to sell most of it off. I would suggest you keep all your equipment and what not because you might not find it for the price you sold it and then that "cash injection" would become a "cash rejection" ;)

Coralgurl
08-10-2012, 05:56 PM
If you need a place for your livestock, I'm close to you and can help out if you decide to keep going. Having some issues with my parameters but getting close to getting it resolved.

Good luck with the leak, that totally sucks!

reefwars
08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Same here can also do some baby sitting:) pm me if you like:)

Coralgurl
08-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Yep, Denny is babysitting for me right now too!

FishyFishy!
08-10-2012, 06:25 PM
i'm sure you wouldn't have any issues selling that equipment or stocking list either. I'd love those MP40's .....

Let the Vultures start circling!!!! mmwwuaahaha

Coralgurl
08-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Dam Fishy, I was thinking the same thing.....:lol:

ChizerBunoi
08-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Why not move it into a room in your basement. I would just make some temporary room out of plastic vapour barrier to keep the dust out.

Drain the tank, move and keep it barebottom. You can move it as many times afterwards with no major nutrient problems after that.

STANKYfish
08-10-2012, 10:06 PM
You mentioned a move in the near future and an upgrade to a larger tank. Well now is your chance. I think you may have more hassle moving the tank a small distance and trying to keep forgein dust and what not out. Sell it, enjoy the cash and when settled in your new place, start your build :mrgreen: We all love our tanks but sometimes lifes little bumps get in the way. There can always be another tank (bigger & better)

Sumfingwong
08-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and the offer for help. I have yet to decide what I want to do. If anything, I will try and sell off all the livestock first and then decide on equipment.

Sumfingwong
08-27-2012, 04:28 PM
posting my livestock for sale, so I can tackle this drywall/baseboard problem. The condo board needs to send someone in to fix it. :(

With all the dust from the drywall and paint, I think its the best to shut down the system.

Equipment may or may not be for sale afterwards.

Thanks all

Coleus
08-27-2012, 04:34 PM
posting my livestock for sale, so I can tackle this drywall/baseboard problem. The condo board needs to send someone in to fix it. :(

With all the dust from the drywall and paint, I think its the best to shut down the system.

Equipment may or may not be for sale afterwards.

Thanks all

it sucks but it is the best way to go at it because dust wont do your system any good. I had a small tank in basement and when renovation was going on, corals weren't doing well because of all dust landing in the tank water.

Good luck with your sales