PDA

View Full Version : SWC 120 protein skimmer advice

stellarfly
08-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Hello fellow reefers!

I need some advice. Would getting an SWC 120 cone skimmer be overkill in a 34 gallon nano tank with 10 gallon sump? I am really trying to avoid placing a hydor slim skim in the sump as the sump would end up being unusually tall. The tank would be a softie tank with approx. 2 clowns,1 goby and shrimp and maybe one more small fish.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone done this size skimmer in a nano build?

Skimmerking
08-09-2012, 04:30 AM
well yes and no. The reason that I say yes is Softies love the nutrients in the tank unlike SPS that need and love clean water. However I run a SWC Cone 160 on my RSM 250 and I have Acans , Ricordia's, zoa's, and a huge clam. but i feed lots ot my fish. I dont think it will bother it if it does, then stop running the skimmer for a bit and you are having the best of both worlds..

HTH

Enigma
08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I was running my SWC 120 on a twenty five gallon system for a couple of months, and it seemed to work just fine. Everything did well: even my Kenya tree and other softies. I don't know how they would have done long term.

I use it in my 55 gallon system right now, and I really like it. These skimmers do seem overly sensitive to water level changes, so an ato of some sort will certainly help in keeping it functioning well. I just got my ato worked out earlier this week, and the change in the skimmer's performance is noteworthy.

Myka
08-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Aside from the owner of SWC being a convicted smuggler...the skimmer would fit the tank just fine. I have 2 SWC skimmers (before he was convicted), the 120 Cone on a 50 works well.

mseepman
08-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Aside from the owner of SWC being a convicted smuggler...the skimmer would fit the tank just fine. I have 2 SWC skimmers (before he was convicted), the 120 Cone on a 50 works well.

Mindy, why don't you tell us how you really feel.....hahaha:lol:

Myka
08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
:lol: Mark, CITES smuggling is not cool!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
:lol: Mark, CITES smuggling is not cool!

Does that mean NON-CITES smuggling IS cool?:lol:

Myka
08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Does that mean NON-CITES smuggling IS cool?:lol:

No, but wildlife smuggling is the worst imo.

Mandosh
08-09-2012, 08:42 PM
"Illegal Importing". Smuggling makes him sound like a pirate, and pirates ARE cool.

Enigma
08-09-2012, 08:51 PM
No, but wildlife smuggling is the worst imo.

I would argue that human smuggling (trafficking) is the worst.

If SWC and it's owner go under, how will any fines from the sentence be paid?

The sentence the crown is pursuing includes both jail time and fines. I had read one article recently that indicates that both the owner and the company have been found guilty.

Anyhoo . . . it is a perfectly good little skimmer. I didn't feel great about receiving mine as a gift, and I probably wouldn't have chosen one for myself at the time. I would now though. It is a good skimmer at a good price point, and at least if the company survives there is a chance that any cash the company/he is told to pay out actually might be paid out.

Myka
08-09-2012, 09:12 PM
If SWC and it's owner go under, how will any fines from the sentence be paid?

The government will garnish wages from wherever he finds a job. I won't buy another SWC unless it's used. It's really too bad though because they really are good skimmers. Mine perform quite well.

Enigma
08-09-2012, 09:44 PM
The government will garnish wages from wherever he finds a job. I won't buy another SWC unless it's used. It's really too bad though because they really are good skimmers. Mine perform quite well.

That depends who is fined . . . SWC or himself personally. It looks like either could be a possibility. If SWC is fined, and it is an independent corporate entity, garnishing his future wages would recoup nothing as it can't legally be done.

Riptide
08-12-2012, 05:12 AM
I have about 160 gal of water in my system and am currently running an ASM G5 -Rated for 700 gal. I have am mostly SPS with a 5-6 different mushroom species that seem no worse for wear, and a couple frags of zoa's that seem to be exploding in population....

PoonTang
08-12-2012, 02:30 PM
If everyone's in jail are SWC replacement parts still available?

DanG
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
If everyone's in jail are SWC replacement parts still available?

Nobody is currently in jail and even then it's hard to find replacement parts in his store.