PDA

View Full Version : pH probes. are they really meant to stay immersed in reef tanks 24/7?

Snaz
08-09-2012, 12:12 AM
I don't have a glass pH probe for my tank but I have used them professionally in analytical labs and we had strict use and storage procedures to prevent them from degrading prematurely.

I remember that they must always be stored wet or preferably with the supplied manufacturer's ionic solution. They should not be immersed into an alkaline unless for measurement of a sample. Once testing is complete they need to be rinsed and stored again properly.

Question: What are the warranties included with the pH probes sold with reef controllers? Do you run through them quickly?

Cal_stir
08-09-2012, 01:02 AM
I have a digital aquatics ph probe that I kept submerged 24/7, I cleaned and calibrated it @ every 4 months, it worked well for about a year, I have a milwaukee ph/orp controller that I stored the ph probe and used it periodically to compare to my DA probe, I have replaced the DA probe with a pin point probe that I will keep submerged 24/7. When the DA probe failed, it started dropping slowly over a few days, I tried to calibrate it but it would not calibrate properly and shortly after calibrating it was different than the cal solution. Most manufacturers say they last 1 to 2 years and much shorter if they dry out. Double junction probes are more resistant to contamination from harsh conditions. The glass ones are refillable and are for very harsh conditions but not economical for aquarium use, I use the gel filled epoxy ones.

Tom R
08-09-2012, 03:33 AM
Hi Keith

My understanding is that they are submersible.

I however have always played it safe by keeping the dry end above the water.

I do not known if this is true but my understanding is that the probe will last longer if it is cleaned regularly with a soft tooth brush and kept out of any direct light.

Tom R

progolfa33
08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I called a local pH manufacturer up one time and was told to store them in Soaker Bottle Solution or use a 4 pH Buffer as they will prolong the life of the sensor.

I use to purchase my sensors on eBay for around $20.00 but was having them fail after a few months (glass looked fine, they just would not calibrate).

Finally I went with a US manufactured product on Amazon and they are a bit more pricy but I am getting 2 - 3 years out of them.

Has anybody seen the new pH meters that turn your iPhone into a pH meter? I am seriously thinking of getting one.