PDA

View Full Version : Velvet in store...

Coralgurl
08-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Interesting conversation at a store today. Guy wanted to buy a fish and pointed at one in the tank and said not that one it has velvet, but he chose one from the same tank and bought it. I assume that many of the tanks run off the same system, therefore alot of other fish would be showing signs as well, would this fish not also possibly carry it and he risks all his other livestock? The guy helping him just said, oh ya and that was it. I saw a lot of fish with ich, never seen velvet tho so can't say. Hopefully he plans on qting fish, could be devastating....

jorjef
08-08-2012, 09:56 PM
One of those situations that leaves a person bewildered and speechless.

Reef Supplies
08-08-2012, 10:41 PM
oyyy :sad:

Coralgurl
08-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I didn't go to the tank to check it out and didn't say anything to him. Thought if he knew enough to recognize velvet, he must have known what he was doing....I only bought a check valve.

Yikes

Slick Fork
08-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Hopefully he has a quarantine system up and running

vaporize
08-09-2012, 06:06 AM
typically velvet + newly imported fish = death in 24 hours, especially true for small and medium fish.

It happens, exporting facilities are always crowded and fish are crammed together in poor conditions. It really relies on the chain of custody to do their proper quarantine and also plays a part on the hobbyists.

Most stores put copper in for this specific parasite as it can cause huge losses.

velvet is just like spraying baking powder on a fish, very fine white spots; unlike ich it cannot be just 'keep in check', it will wipe out all your fish until it stops.

daniella3d
08-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Obviously not...

Thought if he knew enough to recognize velvet, he must have known what he was doing....