PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump

Jaws
04-06-2004, 08:30 PM
I need a return pump for 180G reef tank. I was going to go with a Mag 24. Does anyone know if they are relatively quiet or is there anything else out there similar in price that would be better?

JohnM99
04-07-2004, 03:53 AM
The Velocity T4 is by far the quietest pump, as far as I know - it is uncanny how little noise it makes - 1700 gph only, though, at 0' and not pressure rated.

Dolphin Ampmaster are really good pumps, too - reasonably quiet but a bit more $$. Sequence pumps are really good, high flow pumps also.
Iwaki and Blueline are very similar to each other - the larger sizes have a fan, and the fan makes them noisier but they are built like tanks and will last forever. I have a Blueline 70 I am not using because it was too powerful for my returns. It is pressure rated and puts out 1700 gph which, even with 12' head pressure was swamping my dual 1.25" drains. The thing is built like a Hummer.

Maybe a couple of Velocity T4s would do it - but the Sequence or Ampmaster are probably more suited to your tank size.

Also, don't try to buy any of this stuff in Victoria - I have got most of my stuff from J&L in Vancouver, and from the states - Premium Aquatics, Reef Geek and Marine Depot, etc.

StirCrazy
04-07-2004, 03:56 AM
I need a return pump for 180G reef tank. I was going to go with a Mag 24. Does anyone know if they are relatively quiet or is there anything else out there similar in price that would be better?

are you using your return pump to creat all your flow? I would say go with something like a MAK4 for your return and then add a tunze or two for your flow.

Steve

Seriak
04-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Mag 24 makes a wee bit of noise!!!!

Jaws
04-07-2004, 08:20 PM
I think i'm gonna go with a Mag 24 for now. I got a deal on a used one so i'll see how that works. I have two 1" returns on the right side of my tank and I have a Tunze 6110 with controller for circulation so far. I'll run it on the left side of the tank to counteract the return pump. Do you think I'll need another Tunze Stream or should that be good? I like the Mak 4's. I'll be using one for my DIY Bullet 2 skimmer.

Jaws
04-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Also, don't try to buy any of this stuff in Victoria - I have got most of my stuff from J&L in Vancouver, and from the states - Premium Aquatics, Reef Geek and Marine Depot, etc.

I haven't really been buying my parts in Vic yet. I know they're overly priced, but it's not their fault. Because demand isn't that high, they're just asking what it takes to make a living. I feel bad because they're really good at helping me when I have questions so i'll try to buy most of my livestock from them.

Jaws
04-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Mag 24 makes a wee bit of noise!!!!

When you say "Wee Bit" are you understating or are they just mildly noisy?

Skimmerking
04-08-2004, 01:24 AM
well ia hve the mag 24 and i donht think its a loud pump, Of course that a quiet pump is going to be quiet and a mak 4 is loud due to a fan that is coolong the pump as the mak5 is loud to.

Jaws
04-08-2004, 03:28 AM
How do you guys feel about using a larger return pump like a Mag 24 or a Mag 36 for better circulation. My 180G tank has two 1" holes drilled on each side of an external overflow on the right side of the tank. I'm using a Tunze 6110 with controller for circulation on the right side, but do you think a Mag 24 or Mag 36 will provide enough circulation on the right side or should I get another tunze?

JohnM99
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
I haven't really been buying my parts in Vic yet. I know they're overly priced, but it's not their fault. Because demand isn't that high, they're just asking what it takes to make a living. I feel bad because they're really good at helping me when I have questions so i'll try to buy most of my livestock from them.

I know what you mean. The people in one or two of the shops are very nice, and I do support them, mainly with livestock purchases. But some of their prices are insane - ie triple or more normal retail. I did buy $900 of live rock, and lots of slighly overpriced corals here. I am happy to support them that way. But the hardware on sale in Victoria is mostly low end, and quotes I have gotten for some high end stuff were just off the map - ie something in the $3-400 range for $1200 - that's just crazy. $69 for a coral that is $39 in Vancouver is OK, but the hardware prices are insulting.

Skimmerking
04-08-2004, 05:22 PM
tunze \'s on each side is good
Doug Lowey has 2x tunze on his 225 ansd had good flow

Mike

Jaws
04-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I know what you mean. The people in one or two of the shops are very nice, and I do support them, mainly with livestock purchases. But some of their prices are insane - ie triple or more normal retail. I did buy $900 of live rock, and lots of slighly overpriced corals here. I am happy to support them that way. But the hardware on sale in Victoria is mostly low end, and quotes I have gotten for some high end stuff were just off the map - ie something in the $3-400 range for $1200 - that's just crazy. $69 for a coral that is $39 in Vancouver is OK, but the hardware prices are insulting.

Ya, I agree. It's nothing against local pet stores, but I just can't justify paying extra thousands of dollars once it's all added up just to support locally. I will buy most of my livestock from them though.

Jaws
04-08-2004, 08:03 PM
How do you guys feel about using a larger return pump like a Mag 24 or a Mag 36 for better circulation. My 180G tank has two 1" holes drilled on each side of an external overflow on the right side of the tank. I'm using a Tunze 6110 with controller for circulation on the right side, but do you think a Mag 24 or Mag 36 will provide enough circulation on the right side or should I get another tunze?

Bump